+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low GPA...admission for masters

rahuls7s

Feb 14, 2017
Hello guys...
I have low gpa in my graduate i.e 2.4 with many backlogs...
i want to pursue my masters in mechanical/industrial/engineering management...
i have work exp of about 7 months...please suggest me some universities where i can get admission or my chances are high
P.S
applied for windsor and got rejected
also i m not interested in pursuing pg courses so please dont suggest them
please do help guys...i will be grateful to you

AliRabbani

Dec 11, 2016
rahuls7s said:
Hello guys...
I have low gpa in my graduate i.e 2.4 with many backlogs...
i want to pursue my masters in mechanical/industrial/engineering management...
i have work exp of about 7 months...please suggest me some universities where i can get admission or my chances are high
P.S
applied for windsor and got rejected
also i m not interested in pursuing pg courses so please dont suggest them
please do help guys...i will be grateful to you
u didnt mention ielts.
gpa does matter for canadian uni's/ why not give a try to australian uni's?
with this gpa...
hmmm... i dont recall any uni with this much gpa acceptance. but you can strenghthen your case by finding a supervisor. after which 80% chance u get for admission. good luck

Reactions: Kemmyann

rahuls7s

Feb 14, 2017
AliRabbani said:
u didnt mention ielts.
gpa does matter for canadian uni's/ why not give a try to australian uni's?
with this gpa...
hmmm... i dont recall any uni with this much gpa acceptance. but you can strenghthen your case by finding a supervisor. after which 80% chance u get for admission. good luck
I had appeared for toefl and scored 92...
writing-24 speaking-20 listening-26 reading-22
can supervisor give me acceptance with this much gpa???
australia is costly...
thanks for reply...
and also can you help me with little information on pgdm in canada

AliRabbani

Dec 11, 2016
rahuls7s said:
I had appeared for toefl and scored 92...
writing-24 speaking-20 listening-26 reading-22
can supervisor give me acceptance with this much gpa???
australia is costly...
thanks for reply...
and also can you help me with little information on pgdm in canada
i dont knw abt pgmd or whtever it is.
but if u email a professor. fc him research propsal tht u want to work on, thts for MASc.
in case MEng, teachers dont take students with this much gpa.

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

You seem like a Indian student. Here is my piece of advise. Firstly! what is the class mentioned for your GPA? If it is first class then your you have good chances. If your is an upper second class you still some choices in this would be a 56-59%. Any score below 55% is not advisable to apply in Canada you'll not get into even the lowest of low universities.

You need to get a strong SOP and strengthen your profile. Work experience is a great way to do this i notice you have it. You have no chances in research programs you can give a shot at non-research masters or MEng as its called in Canada. PM me if you need more help :)

sivakkkkk

Feb 17, 2017
kartz said:
Hi,

You seem like a Indian student. Here is my piece of advise. Firstly! what is the class mentioned for your GPA? If it is first class then your you have good chances. If your is an upper second class you still some choices in this would be a 56-59%. Any score below 55% is not advisable to apply in Canada you'll not get into even the lowest of low universities.

You need to get a strong SOP and strengthen your profile. Work experience is a great way to do this i notice you have it. You have no chances in research programs you can give a shot at non-research masters or MEng as its called in Canada. PM me if you need more help :)
Hi Kartz,
do you know any good consultancy in india b/c i visited one consultancy in my city and the guy who works there is telling that canada universities require 70% to 80% in the under graduation otherwise we won't get the admission is that true?

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey!

Above 70% is definitely a comfortable score to apply with but there are universities that accept scores above 60% or in the close ranges. The truth is each university in Canada has their own grade conversion standards for international students you cannot depend on standard conversions like WES. Example U Manitoba accepts from 55% where as UBC will have a higher requirement. Lot depends on the university reputation and rankings too. Getting a research masters will be always tough if your scores are below 70% cause this needs approval from a faculty and your justification in the area of research. You should also have technical papers published

The bigger question here is are you ready to study in any university that admits you or do you have specific targets? If you are open to any province/university you can make it with a 60%/first class.

Reason why consultancies say 70% is because they want to sell you PG Diploma courses which doesn't give you the career growth you need. I would suggest you to check with Canam consultancy, they do not charge any fees for applications but they have limited university tie ups just a suggestion i do not have any personal experience but this is something my friends advised me. But any day i would say you can apply for canada yourself. If you have the patience and time to read through processes, contact universities.

PS: Meeting the GPAs requirements is not the only criterion there are many other parameters which dictate your admission chances like SOP, research experience etc.

sivakkkkk

Feb 17, 2017
kartz said:
Hey!

Above 70% is definitely a comfortable score to apply with but there are universities that accept scores above 60% or in the close ranges. The truth is each university in Canada has their own grade conversion standards for international students you cannot depend on standard conversions like WES. Example U Manitoba accepts from 55% where as UBC will have a higher requirement. Lot depends on the university reputation and rankings too. Getting a research masters will be always tough if your scores are below 70% cause this needs approval from a faculty and your justification in the area of research. You should also have technical papers published

The bigger question here is are you ready to study in any university that admits you or do you have specific targets? If you are open to any province/university you can make it with a 60%/first class.

Reason why consultancies say 70% is because they want to sell you PG Diploma courses which doesn't give you the career growth you need. I would suggest you to check with Canam consultancy, they do not charge any fees for applications but they have limited university tie ups just a suggestion i do not have any personal experience but this is something my friends advised me. But any day i would say you can apply for canada yourself. If you have the patience and time to read through processes, contact universities.

PS: Meeting the GPAs requirements is not the only criterion there are many other parameters which dictate your admission chances like SOP, research experience etc.
Thx for the reply.
This is my profile,
wanted to do masters in Ontario province in CS,
10th-85%
Inter-61%
B.Tech-65% (last two years aggregate) 64% overall Computer Science
IELTS- overall 6.5 not less-than 6 in each band
One International Journal
working as jr. software developer for almost 8 months.

India1989

Jul 24, 2016
Very true....I got admitted in two university St. mary and Bishop with 58 % of aggreegate
kartz said:
Hey!

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sivakkkkk said:
Thx for the reply.
This is my profile,
wanted to do masters in Ontario province in CS,
10th-85%
Inter-61%
B.Tech-65% (last two years aggregate) 64% overall Computer Science
IELTS- overall 6.5 not less-than 6 in each band
One International Journal
working as jr. software developer for almost 8 months.
Your profile is good enough to land admissions. In Ontario the competition will be high since most of the top universities are in this province. You can give a shot at Waterloo, Ryerson, these are very strategical for IT students, you can keep this your dream choices and join without hesitation. You'll easily get coop/part-time jobs. There are other options like Lakehead, Brock in which you might have good acceptance chances, but they are not so close to Toronto and are mostly university towns with very little presence of big companies.

Your IELTS is just decent not that great an overall 7 with no less than 6.5 would again strengthen your profile. Your current scores just meet requirements which doesn't make you stand out.

You have to focus on your Journal and your work experience and align them together to create a future goal for yourself. You have put this down like a convincing story in an SOP. I am sure you'll get into a top university. SOP is very important and i would suggest you to spend good time on this. Take some professional help if needed.

I would suggest you to look at Concordia university in Montreal its a big IT hub only requirement would be French language skills its a personal choice if you are ready to learn the language. I know my friends who study there and they've given a good feedback on the course.

As a standard practice i would suggest you to go to university websites check the faculty in CS department. Take the emails of profs. who are doing research in your area of interest. Drop them an email with your SOP in brief why you want to study in that university and your ambitions. If any professor replies stating his acceptance to mentor you. You've crossed 90% of the hurdle, just apply and mention the prof. name in your application they'll release your admission offer in a month!

GursimranS

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
Hi all ,

Below is my profile –
B. Tech.  8.64 CGPA
12th  82.8
10th  91.9
IELTS  7.5 Bands (R – 7.5, S – 7.5, L – 7.5, W – 6.5)

Work Experience – 6 months internship, 19 months in Vodafone India and Nokia India

Certifications – CCNA, Red hat Cloud Computing

Universities Applied for M. Engg. ECE(Fall 2017) –
UBC(in progress)
McMaster University (Rejected)
University of Ottawa(in progress)
University of Windsor(in progress)

I left with 3 Universities now. Can anyone please tell me how much time above universities will take for final decision? And please suggest if require to apply in some other university

Ivin

May 16, 2017
Hi all,

I'm Ivin My Profile is,

B.Tech Mech. Eng CGPA 6.74 passed with First Class.
GRE Score 306(159 Q, 147V)
TOEFL Score 92
Work experience of 30 months as a Service engineer and Production Engineer.

I have applied for MASc Industrial Engineering in University of Windsor (Fall 17).
So guys what are my chances to get admission there.

hasham11

Jun 7, 2017
Hi All
Below is my profile

10th -72%
12th - 78%
BSc Electrical Engineering- 2.01 GPA
IELTS - 6.5 (L 7.5, R 6, S 6, W 5.5)
Working in field for 2 years
Which University can I apply?
Can I apply for MS Electrical Engineering? Or I should go with PG Diploma
What are the chances of getting Visa on these grades??
Will I get Visa on PG Diploma?

Prudhvic7

Sep 13, 2017
I am final year guy from electronics background..i want to know my possibilities of getting MS admission in canadian universities & in which universities i can get admission.
My educational Qualifications:
SSC:8.7GPA
DIPLOMA:85%
B.Tech: 6.8 CGPA(65%) upto 4-1 i.e 7th semester.
International Techinal Papers-1
Internships-2
Projects-5
Ielts-7

Mohammad216

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
Hi all ,

Below is my profile –
B. Tech.  8.64 CGPA
12th  82.8
10th  91.9
IELTS  7.5 Bands (R – 7.5, S – 7.5, L – 7.5, W – 6.5)

Work Experience – 6 months internship, 19 months in Vodafone India and Nokia India

Certifications – CCNA, Red hat Cloud Computing

Universities Applied for M. Engg. ECE(Fall 2017) –
UBC(in progress)
McMaster University (Rejected)
University of Ottawa(in progress)
University of Windsor(in progress)

I left with 3 Universities now. Can anyone please tell me how much time above universities will take for final decision? And please suggest if require to apply in some other university
Hi, after how long you got a reply from McMaster and did you had any interview before they made the decision?