+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost travel document while abroad.

Emil7

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
Guys, a friend lost his travel document and some other docs while abroad. There is no embassy or consulate in that country, but there is VAC. How he is gonna leave that country? What is your advice?

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
I am sorry about your friend lost his RTD. It is a tough situation.

First find the ebmassy of Canada responsible for the country your friend is currently is. Searching Embassy of Canada to Georgia at Google will give you correct answer.

Then let the embassy know about the person situation. I would sugges your friend to go to local police office and report the incident. The local police department will give your friend some sort of report and your friend should send this police report to the Embassy of Canada. The ebmassy will give him the exact information what to do next.

I am not 100% sure but I believe the person need to apply for verification of status and ask embassy to issue him one time travel document:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

After the person status has been verified embassy will issue him one time travel document.

This is a very long process and warn your friend it may take up to 12 months.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
If a traveller is unable to produce a RTD due to the loss or theft of the document while outside Canada, the officer may issue a temporary resident permit in order to allow re-entry into Canada. Prior to issuing a permit, officers should question the applicant regarding the loss or theft of the RTD and be satisfied that the circumstances are genuine.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/protected-persons/refugee-travel-document-refugees-protected-persons.html

Reactions: Emil7 and kelepirci

Emil7

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
I am sorry about your friend lost his RTD. It is a tough situation.

First find the ebmassy of Canada responsible for the country your friend is currently is. Searching Embassy of Canada to Georgia at Google will give you correct answer.

Then let the embassy know about the person situation. I would sugges your friend to go to local police office and report the incident. The local police department will give your friend some sort of report and your friend should send this police report to the Embassy of Canada. The ebmassy will give him the exact information what to do next.

I am not 100% sure but I believe the person need to apply for verification of status and ask embassy to issue him one time travel document:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

After the person status has been verified embassy will issue him one time travel document.

This is a very long process and warn your friend it may take up to 12 months.
He is a PR, and it's in his possession. I think there is no need too much time for verification, huh? And there's no embassy and consulate in that country :(

Emil7

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
If a traveller is unable to produce a RTD due to the loss or theft of the document while outside Canada, the officer may issue a temporary resident permit in order to allow re-entry into Canada. Prior to issuing a permit, officers should question the applicant regarding the loss or theft of the RTD and be satisfied that the circumstances are genuine.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/protected-persons/refugee-travel-document-refugees-protected-persons.html
Which officer will provide that one time document, cause there is no embassy or consulate.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
He is a PR, and it's in his possession. I think there is no need too much time for verification, huh? And there's no embassy and consulate in that country :(
If you have a PR you don't need RTD to enter Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: Emil7

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How about leaving that country? You think they will let him leave country without RTD?
Does he hold a valid passport? He needs either a passport or RTD in order to be allowed to travel.

In order to board the plane as a Canadian PR and return to Canada, he needs either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
How about leaving that country? You think they will let him leave country without RTD?
Yes, he just needs to have his tickets in one itinerary that show his final destination is Canada also you need to get a report from the local police regarding the loss of your RTD

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
The answer to your question can be found on page 4 of all travel documents for Canadian refugees (blue document).

I have it in front of me. There is a section titled '' Loss or theft of Travel Document ''.

Among the advice given, it is mentioned that in the event of loss or theft or loss abroad, you must:

* Report the incident to the police.

* Also, you must report the incident to the nearest Canadian government office (I suppose that means embassy or consulate) ... Or British office if there is no Canadian office.

* It is also mentioned that having the document number can be a good thing, they advise to keep it before the trip, I hope your friend kept it for his correspondence with the Canadian office ... Or British s 'there are in the country in question.

I suggest that he retrace it in his emails if he has kept track of his plane ticket, or if he has accessed the airline's website ... The passport number or document is always requested before buy a ticket online.

Using the home country passport is a bad idea. This is interpreted as a ground for termination of protection. = Refugee status canceled = permanent residence canceled = return to the country of persecution.

It's suicide, literally. Even if he manages to get on the plane, he will be greeted by the agents at the airport, and they will put him on trial to find the lost of status (Cessation). The very fact of applying for the passport itself means that you have again claimed protection from your country of origin.

Last edited:

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Yes, he just needs to have his tickets in one itinerary that show his final destination is Canada also you need to get a report from the local police regarding the loss of your RTD
He will not be able to board the plane without a Canadian travel document ... The airline company will prevent him from boarding ... Because otherwise he would risk heavy financial penalties.

The solution in this specific case is to request a single journey document from the Canadian or British representation, having the document number, and above all a report from the local police.

Here is the page which proves that he will not be able to embark without a travel document ... Look at the document in the list, number 5. You will see that a solution does exist. '' 5. Canada - Single Journey Travel Document ''.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trans/guide-eng.html

Reactions: scylla

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
He will not be able to board the plane without a Canadian travel document ... The airline company will prevent him from boarding ... Because otherwise he would risk heavy financial penalties.

The solution in this specific case is to request a single journey document from the Canadian or British representation, having the document number, and above all a report from the local police.

Here is the page which proves that he will not be able to embark without a travel document ... Look at the document in the list, number 5. You will see that a solution does exist. '' 5. Canada - Single Journey Travel Document ''.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trans/guide-eng.html
He has a valid PR card

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
He has a valid PR card
1. Obligation Not to Carry Improperly Documented or Prescribed Persons to Canada
Passengers carried by transporters must be properly documented for travel to Canada. Transporters must not carry to Canada any person who does not hold the prescribed documents required for entry. In addition, transporters must not carry to Canada any person who is prescribed or who an officer directs not to be carried. Failure to meet these requirements can result in the assessment of an administration fee, or in exceptional circumstances, the seizure of a transporter's vehicle. Prescribed documents include:

• passports and travel documents;
  • visas required by foreign nationals to enter Canada;
  • valid permanent resident cards;
  • travel documents issued to permanent residents abroad to facilitate their return to Canada;
  • single journey travel documents issued to refugees selected abroad for resettlement in Canada;
  • travel documents issued by Canada to persons on whom the Government of Canada has conferred protection as refugees or protected persons; and
  • electronic travel authorization (eTA).

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
also, I've asked my friend whos is working in airline boarding operations and advises me with the solution above