+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost PR Card

naiyagupta

Jul 25, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am Permanent Resident in Canada. I am currently residing in USA. My last date of COPR was Sep 16, 2020. Due to COVID, I did a road trip, from USA to Canada, on Sep 15, 2020 for soft landing. I returned back to USA the same day. The immigration officer asked me if I was going to stay in Canada or returning back to USA, I replied that I am going back, not staying, they didn’t ask me the reason. After that, I updated my address to Canada (gave a friend’s address) and my PR card was sent to that address. My friend received the card. Now, I am ready to move to Canada and asked my friend to mail my PR card to USA address so that I can enter Canada. She is saying that the card is lost and cant find it. Please advise what I should do in such a situation. I have applied for PRTD and haven’t heard back yet, its been a month. In PRTD application, I didn't mention that the card is lost. I sent the application to COVID PRTD email address

caseyarnold

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am Permanent Resident in Canada. I am currently residing in USA. My last date of COPR was Sep 16, 2020. Due to COVID, I did a road trip, from USA to Canada, on Sep 15, 2020 for soft landing. I returned back to USA the same day. The immigration officer asked me if I was going to stay in Canada or returning back to USA, I replied that I am going back, not staying, they didn’t ask me the reason. After that, I updated my address to Canada (gave a friend’s address) and my PR card was sent to that address. My friend received the card. Now, I am ready to move to Canada and asked my friend to mail my PR card to USA address so that I can enter Canada. She is saying that the card is lost and cant find it. Please advise what I should do in such a situation. I have applied for PRTD and haven’t heard back yet, its been a month. In PRTD application, I didn't mention that the card is lost. I sent the application to COVID PRTD email address
Was your COPR issued 16-SEP-2020, or was that its expiration? Try calling CBSA at 800-461-9999 and speak with a CBSA officer. There are some cases (I'm not super familiar with) where American citizens with Canadian PR can cross by land in a private vehicle (owned/leased) with their passport/COPR.

Worse case, you can still apply for PRTD in order to return to Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Best of luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

You need to report that the card is missing. It is a valuable piece of documentation that others could use so IRCC needs to know it went missing.

naiyagupta

Jul 25, 2020
Was your COPR issued 16-SEP-2020, or was that its expiration? Try calling CBSA at 800-461-9999 and speak with a CBSA officer. There are some cases (I'm not super familiar with) where American citizens with Canadian PR can cross by land in a private vehicle (owned/leased) with their passport/COPR.

Worse case, you can still apply for PRTD in order to return to Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Best of luck!
My CoPR expired on Sep 16, 2020. My question is that can i enter Canada using the expired CoPR by land in a private vehicle.

Nov 2, 2020

Best of luck!
Hello everyone,

Dear Naiyagupta,

The first step is to report and get the report number/confirmation number from officer.

You can enter the Canada through land border in your private vehicle by showing your passport and signed COPR. Officer might ask about your PR card because he can see in his system that you have been issued PR card. At that time explain him the situation and give your report number. He will verify your permanent residency status at the primary check or might send for secondary inspection. In any case, you will be allowed to enter and can apply for new PR card. PR card is required in case if you are flying.

Since you are permanent resident and once officer verifies that using your COPR. If you are meeting the R.O. (Residency Obligation) then lawfully you have right to enter. Please read the quarentine guidlines before making plans.

For more information, you can always call CBSA to verify before traveling especially in pandemic times.

Best of Luck

naiyagupta

Jul 25, 2020
Dear Naiyagupta,

The first step is to report and get the report number/confirmation number from officer.

You can enter the Canada through land border in your private vehicle by showing your passport and signed COPR. Officer might ask about your PR card because he can see in his system that you have been issued PR card. At that time explain him the situation and give your report number. He will verify your permanent residency status at the primary check or might send for secondary inspection. In any case, you will be allowed to enter and can apply for new PR card. PR card is required in case if you are flying.

Since you are permanent resident and once officer verifies that using your COPR. If you are meeting the R.O. (Residency Obligation) then lawfully you have right to enter. Please read the quarentine guidlines before making plans.

For more information, you can always call CBSA to verify before traveling especially in pandemic times.

Best of Luck
Thank you so much for the guidance!
I just have one last question that I should report to IRCC or USA Police or Canada Police?

Nov 2, 2020
Thank you so much for the guidance!
I just have one last question that I should report to IRCC or USA Police or Canada Police?
Since the card is lost in Ontario, I think you call OPP/City police first and report the lost PR card. They will give your report/file number. Then you should inform IRCC about the lost PR card and give them the report/file number.

Then IRCC will update there record and will be able to issue new one. Every time you cross border, CBSA will be able to see the reported lost PR card and new card.

You should report as soon as possible to avoid any ID fraud.

Best of luck