+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost PR Card and Keeping PR Status

majormelon

Sep 23, 2021
Hey guys,

I have several questions regarding my permanent residence status. For context, I became a Canadian permanent resident on Sep 7, 2021 and have received my PR card (card expiry date: Sep 13, 2026). I traveled back to Vietnam for work, however, I lost my PR card. Here are my question:
  1. Since I may not be back in Canada for a while because of work in Vietnam, what should be the next steps? Should I immediately apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD)?
  2. Regarding how to maintain permanent resident status, this link says that I will keep my PR status if I "have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years". To clarify, these 730 days include the days that I'm in Canada regardless of status (student visa, work visa, ...), or do they only include the days in which I'm in Canada as a permanent resident?
Thank you in advance and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hey guys,

I have several questions regarding my permanent residence status. For context, I became a Canadian permanent resident on Sep 7, 2021 and have received my PR card (card expiry date: Sep 13, 2026). I traveled back to Vietnam for work, however, I lost my PR card. Here are my question:
  1. Since I may not be back in Canada for a while because of work in Vietnam, what should be the next steps? Should I immediately apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD)?
  2. Regarding how to maintain permanent resident status, this link says that I will keep my PR status if I "have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years". To clarify, these 730 days include the days that I'm in Canada regardless of status (student visa, work visa, ...), or do they only include the days in which I'm in Canada as a permanent resident?
Thank you in advance and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.
1. There will be an expiry date on the PRTD. Do not apply if you do not need to travel in the foreseeable future.
2. The 730 days starts to count when you became PR (COPR/landing date) and it counts backward in the pervious 5 years once you have became a PR for more than 5 years.

majormelon

Sep 23, 2021
Thank you @YVR123 ! Really appreciate your quick response. One follow-up question, supposing I get my PRTD and manage to enter Canada, can I work or study in Canada without a PR card, while I'm accumulating enough days in Canada to apply for a new PR card?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you @YVR123 ! Really appreciate your quick response. One follow-up question, supposing I get my PRTD and manage to enter Canada, can I work or study in Canada without a PR card, while I'm accumulating enough days in Canada to apply for a new PR card?
You can work in Canada unless you already got your SIN card. You probably need a PR card to prove your status as a domestic student in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Basically yes. What each institution requires to show PR status may differ, but perhaps fair to say they're usually at least a bit flexible. Did you at least save a scan of the PR card?

Note, because your plans about returning to Canada are unclear:

-It is usually a bit easier (in my view) to calculate days OUT of Canada, and the 730-days is equivalent (arithmetically) to NO MORE THAN 1095 days outside of Canada. This applies in any five year period - beginning from the five-year anniversary of your first landing, and after that, looking back from the relevant day.

This is relevant in your case: you will be compliant until, AT MINIMUM, Sept 2024. If you return before that you will be in compliance and you could apply to replace your lost PR card right away, no need to wait until 730 days 'in country'.

[Conceptually the law 'gives credit' for days remaining until end of first five year period - which is why the arithmetic restatement is a bit easier to understand.]

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Did you apply for a permanent SIN card after you landed? If so, you can work. If not, you may have to find a way to proof your PR status to apply for you SIN. If you are grant PRTD to enter, you likely still meet your RO and could report your PR card lost and get a replacement.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Whether you already have a SIN is important for whether you are able to work. If you don’t have one already, it will be difficult to get one without a PR card. But, I would note that since you landed only landed on 7, 2021, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to immediately apply for a new PR card - without accumulating additional days in Canada.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Whether you already have a SIN is important for whether you are able to work. If you don’t have one already, it will be difficult to get one without a PR card. But, I would note that since you landed only landed on 7, 2021, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to immediately apply for a new PR card - without accumulating additional days in Canada.
you’d need to be in Canada to apply for a replacement. That’s the big problem.

Sony6279

Jul 10, 2022
proof of residency requirements if you were outside canada for 1095 days or more in the past 5 years. Does anyone know the meaning

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
proof of residency requirements if you were outside canada for 1095 days or more in the past 5 years. Does anyone know the meaning
Because if you live outside of Canada for over 1095 days, you do not meet the "default" RO. So you need to show other proof of meeting the residency requirement.