+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Passport and Citizenship Application

Theimmigrant

Aug 25, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I think my situation is related to this topic.

I had lost my original passport before i applied for citizenship. At the time of my application, a local immigration service's consultant advised me not to write about the lost passport since i have a scanned copies of the biographical pages of the passport, which are required when submitting the application. I did as she recommended.
Last week my file transferred to local office and have not heard anything yet.
Will keep my finger crossed; any advise from someone with a similar situation is appreciated.. thanks

arise

Star Member
Feb 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC, Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2011
Doc's Request.
15-12-2011
Nomination.....
02-02-2012
AOR Received.
13-04-2012
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
26-06-2013
Med's Done....
26-07-2013, Received on 15-08-2013, in process 30/10/2013
Passport Req..
(new born medical + RPRF + Passport request) all received on 5-11-2013, Decision made on 25/11/2013
VISA ISSUED...
04/12/2013
LANDED..........
14/1/2014
Hi everyone,

I think my situation is related to this topic.

I had lost my original passport before i applied for citizenship. At the time of my application, a local immigration service's consultant advised me not to write about the lost passport since i have a scanned copies of the biographical pages of the passport, which are required when submitting the application. I did as she recommended.
Last week my file transferred to local office and have not heard anything yet.
Will keep my finger crossed; any advise from someone with a similar situation is appreciated.. thanks
Hello,
I am in a similar situation. We lost our passport (They were stolen together with my wallet from my car) and we did file a policereport. I am filling my application form and i do have scan copy of my old passport. The question is, do i have to mention the loss in my application? they ask only copies of the bio pages which i have.
Please share you thought and how did it go with you.

Thanks,

Arise

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Hello,
I am in a similar situation. We lost our passport (They were stolen together with my wallet from my car) and we did file a policereport. I am filling my application form and i do have scan copy of my old passport. The question is, do i have to mention the loss in my application? they ask only copies of the bio pages which i have.
Please share you thought and how did it go with you.

Thanks,

Arise
Passports are checked during interview. Always be truthful, remember if you lie or withhold information knowingly, you are asking for trouble.

Why the heck would someone advice to withhold information.

@ Theimmigrant you will have to present passports at interview, all of the passports included with the application. As you have lost the passport before applying, and have not mentioned it on your application, irrespective of who told you to do it, it could be an issue, as you have withheld information knowingly.

The guide clearly states :
  • photocopies of all valid and expired passports or travel documents you had in the past 5 years. If you don’t have these documents or there are gaps in time between travel documents, we will ask for an explanation.
By knowingly withholding information you are setting yourself up for more scrutiny or may be more.

Don't lie or withhold information, the worst that could happen is a RQ, but you will get citizenship in the end. If you lie or withhold information, that is serious stuff.

Last edited:

babak3215

Oct 9, 2017
Hello guys,

Happy new year!

I have also lost my expired passport, but its expiration date was before my first arrival in Canada.
Actually, I entered Canada in June 2014 and became PR the same date, obviously I used my new passport (still valid) to get enter, my expired passport expiration date was for September 2013. Since my first arrival & PR date, I did not leave Canada.

To be more specefic,

My eligibility period is : from 10-2012 to 10-2017.
My previous (expired) passport validity: from 09-2008 to 09-2013.
First arrival & PR: June 2014.
I also sent a photocopy of its biographical page (together with photocopy of my current passport), because I usually keep an electronic copy of every document, then explained clearly in my citizenship application that I have lost my expired passport.

I really have no idea if this could be an issue in test/interview day, actually the expired passport has no business to do with my post-pr life time.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Hi

One of my good friend was in kind of similar situation. only difference he lost his passport in Calgary. While applying for citizenship he included only copy of Police report. Yes you have to tell cic in forms applicable section only. Just add copy of police report thats it nothing to worry but it will probably take little longer time than routine application. Still nothing to worry its bad situation can happen with anyone.

Good luck

Reactions: babak3215

babak3215

Oct 9, 2017
Hi

One of my good friend was in kind of similar situation. only difference he lost his passport in Calgary. While applying for citizenship he included only copy of Police report. Yes you have to tell cic in forms applicable section only. Just add copy of police report thats it nothing to worry but it will probably take little longer time than routine application. Still nothing to worry its bad situation can happen with anyone.

Good luck
thank you badar14 for sharing your friend's experience,

in my case, I have lost the expired passport in my back home and before landing in Canada, so I also have to report it to police (RCMP) ?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
thank you badar14 for sharing your friend's experience,

in my case, I have lost the expired passport in my back home and before landing in Canada, so I also have to report it to police (RCMP) ?
usually the police report is done where the passport was lost. did you do it at the time of the loss?

babak3215

Oct 9, 2017
why didnt you report the passport loss? Ideally you should have done it at the time of loss. Check with the authorities where the passport was lost to confirm what can be done.
yes, you're right. normally it should be reported. but at the time of loss it was expired and I already held the new one, and i didn't care about lossof the expired one.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
yes, you're right. normally it should be reported. but at the time of loss it was expired and I already held the new one, and i didn't care about lossof the expired one.
Regardless of it is expired or not, it is an important document and has to be reported to the authorities, if it is lost.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
is it possible to report its loss now, you think ?
Contact the authorities in the city/country to see if you can report the loss.

Be truthful in terms of getting the report, example, if you have lost it many years ago, don't try to make the report stating that you just lost it now.
If IRCC comes to know about it somehow, then you may get it into trouble.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Look at this instruction guide:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

• photocopies of all valid and expired passports or travel documents you had in the past 5 years. If you don’t have these documents or there are gaps in time between travel documents, we will ask for an explanation.
  • if you didn’t have a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 2 pieces of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • if you had a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 1 piece of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph

Here is also additional info:

• If you do not have a passport or travel document that was/is valid during your eligibility period, tell us why in the box provided labeled Table B .

Reactions: babak3215

babak3215

Oct 9, 2017
Look at this instruction guide:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

• if you didn’t have a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 2 pieces of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • if you had a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 1 piece of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph

Here is also additional info:

• If you do not have a passport or travel document that was/is valid during your eligibility period, tell us why in the box provided labeled Table B .
dear #thecoolguysam,
thank you so much for info., its appreciated.