alikhan44

Star Member
Feb 1, 2011
Halifax
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

I lost my passport during my recent trip to my home country and had to get a new one. My lost passport has some of my entries/exit data corresponding to the time I spent in Canada. I do have a scanned copy of all pages of my passport but it does not include the very recent trip. I have been a full time post secondary student during my stay in Canada and also worked part time. My daughter was also born here and I have all the records related to my stay in canda that include car registration, insurance, utility bills, rental agreements etc.

Do I need to inform CIC in my citizenship application that I have lost that passport because all they need is the photocopies of the first two pages of the passport? Will it trigger an RQ if I let them know.

I dont have any option in any case because whenever I apply for citizenship, this lost passport will surely pop up :( ... Need Help and suggestions.

Thanks,

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
alikhan44 said:
Hello Everyone,

I lost my passport during my recent trip to my home country and had to get a new one. My lost passport has some of my entries/exit data corresponding to the time I spent in Canada. I do have a scanned copy of all pages of my passport but it does not include the very recent trip. I have been a full time post secondary student during my stay in Canada and also worked part time. My daughter was also born here and I have all the records related to my stay in canda that include car registration, insurance, utility bills, rental agreements etc.

Do I need to inform CIC in my citizenship application that I have lost that passport because all they need is the photocopies of the first two pages of the passport? Will it trigger an RQ if I let them know.

I dont have any option in any case because whenever I apply for citizenship, this lost passport will surely pop up :( ... Need Help and suggestions.

Thanks,
Lost passport is generally a RQ trigger because it's one of the proof that can confirm your residency.
During your initial application, send details about lost passport on the cover letter and explain everything.
Call the CIC call centre to discuss the scenario before submitting the application. Their number is 1-888-242-2100

viva1canada

Dec 10, 2014
in the application form written: if the passport is not in you possession write an explanation. you can submit ur application , i think, but i agree that you contact cic before that and follow their instructions,

alikhan44

Star Member
Feb 1, 2011
Halifax
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many thanks for your replies. I guess, I just have to live with it now because the lost passport would not be found and whenever I apply for citizenship, the status would be the same. Unless, I apply after 4 more years. Lets see what happens.

Thanks,

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
alikhan44 said:
Many thanks for your replies. I guess, I just have to live with it now because the lost passport would not be found and whenever I apply for citizenship, the status would be the same. Unless, I apply after 4 more years. Lets see what happens.

Thanks,
Even after four years you will need the "original" PP used for landing at the time of test & interview - PP that have the PR visa/ landing stamp for verification.

alikhan44

Star Member
Feb 1, 2011
Halifax
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I do have the original passport that has my immigrant visa. It was another passport that I lost and that also covers the duration that I am counting towards my citizenship residency requirement.

Thanks,

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
On a more positive note, it is good that you had scanned copies of all pages of that lost passport. I would think - compared to some others who lost it forever and do not have a scan - you are in better shape.

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alikhan44 said:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
Did you report the stolen or lost passport? If you have the police report, join a copy to your application with a short letter to the CIC. You should be fine. You do not have to wait for another four years to get the citizenship.
Best wishes,
Cheers,

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
alikhan44 said:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
Not clear if you already applied. Anyway, it happened to me. I applied in Aug 2006 and in Dec 2006 I lost my passport. Got the police report at the time of incident.
At the test in Jan 2007 I presented the new issued passport. From there I went all the way to Judge hearing and ultimately the application was denied.
It aint matter insurance, taxes, mortgage, bank statements, etc. The main reason for denial was I dont have a passport that would document my travel outside of canada for the 4yrs period prior application.
I detailed it on a different tread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/who-has-ever-attended-a-hearing-with-a-citizenship-judge-how-was-it-t183751.15.html

Now, if you did not apply, keep in mind they are interested in the 4yrs period prior of application.

Good luck!

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
Not clear if you already applied. Anyway, it happened to me. I applied in Aug 2006 and in Dec 2006 I lost my passport. Got the police report at the time of incident.
At the test in Jan 2007 I presented the new issued passport. From there I went all the way to Judge hearing and ultimately the application was denied.
It aint matter insurance, taxes, mortgage, bank statements, etc. The main reason for denial was I dont have a passport that would document my travel outside of canada for the 4yrs period prior application.
I detailed it on a different tread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/who-has-ever-attended-a-hearing-with-a-citizenship-judge-how-was-it-t183751.15.html

Now, if you did not apply, keep in mind they are interested in the 4yrs period prior of application.

Good luck!
I think alikhan44's case is going to be a bit different here since he still have a scanned copy of the passport. However, it is good to know that a lost passport could be a reason for citizenship denied even if in the presence of police report.
Thanks!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
beauhoe said:
I think alikhan44's case is going to be a bit different here since he still have a scanned copy of the passport. However, it is good to know that a lost passport could be a reason for citizenship denied even if in the presence of police report.
Thanks!
yes scanned copies might work however, it is not 100% assurance that the PP was scanned before or after a trip outside canada thus creating a doubt

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
yes scanned copies might work however, it is not 100% assurance that the PP was scanned before or after a trip outside canada thus creating a doubt
I am sure that the CIC is going to ask for his CBSA reports to solve that problem.
Cheers,

jrjayl

Oct 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alikhan44 said:
Hi,

I do have the original passport that has my immigrant visa. It was another passport that I lost and that also covers the duration that I am counting towards my citizenship residency requirement.

Thanks,
don't worry too much buddy. just give them whatever you have in hand: flight tickets, police report, passport scan, anything that can prove that you left Canada on date X and returned on date y every time you leave.
The government wont just reject you because you accidentally lost a passport.
Good luck!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
jrjayl said:
don't worry too much buddy. just give them whatever you have in hand: flight tickets, police report, passport scan, anything that can prove that you left Canada on date X and returned on date y every time you leave.
The government wont just reject you because you accidentally lost a passport.
Good luck!
agreed. If you have a strong application with good proof of your travels and of your residence in Canada then I think you will be fine. It is usually only an issue if you have some other red-flag that draws suspicion and then CIC starts digging into everything.

alikhan44

Star Member
Feb 1, 2011
Halifax
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I almost lost hope and was in a state of shock. I do have Police copies of lost passport and since I was a full time post graduate student for the duration, I have no reason to lose my passport on purpose.

Anyway, will keep you guys updated about my experience.

Thanks,