+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Canadian Study Permit on trip abroad

ub93

Dec 19, 2018
Hello,

I just landed in India from Canada on December 18 and it seems I have lost my Canadian study permit (likely fell off passport in transit). I need to return to Canada on January 18 to continue my education and I am wondering if I can do so with just my student visa (I have my UCI number, Study permit number, letter from university confirming my enrollment and proof of fee payment).

One option I came across online was to apply for a replacement document but I am unsure if this can be done in a month's time especially since I will be applying from abroad (I do however have a valid Canadian mailing address). So the most feasible option I see right now is to take the risk and fly to Canada and explain the situation to immigration officers.

Has anyone been in the same situation and can offer some insights on whether this would work. Thanks in advance. Really appreciate it.

elbarto94

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TORONTO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-12-2017
LANDED..........
18-04-2018
Can you please share how you got around this situation? Thanks in advance. Really appreciate it.

1516anushikha

Oct 25, 2019
Hello, just wanted to know, if you went through with it..

I just landed in India from Canada on December 18 and it seems I have lost my Canadian study permit (likely fell off passport in transit). I need to return to Canada on January 18 to continue my education and I am wondering if I can do so with just my student visa (I have my UCI number, Study permit number, letter from university confirming my enrollment and proof of fee payment).

One option I came across online was to apply for a replacement document but I am unsure if this can be done in a month's time especially since I will be applying from abroad (I do however have a valid Canadian mailing address). So the most feasible option I see right now is to take the risk and fly to Canada and explain the situation to immigration officers.

Has anyone been in the same situation and can offer some insights on whether this would work. Thanks in advance. Really appreciate it.

elbarto94

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TORONTO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-12-2017
LANDED..........
18-04-2018
She had to apply for a new study permit, which got delivered in Canada. Sent the permit to where she was so that she could fly back

1516anushikha

Oct 25, 2019
If you have a valid TRV, you can return to Canada and explain to CBSA that the permit was lost. They can print it at the border.
ThankYou for replying. So I can go through Delhi immigrations with TRV as well? I don’t have to show study permit to them as well?

elbarto94

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TORONTO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-12-2017
LANDED..........
18-04-2018
ThankYou for replying. So I can go through Delhi immigrations with TRV as well? I don’t have to show study permit to them as well?
Indian immigration and airlines only care about having passport and valid visa. Permit is required by Canadian immigration to get in.

You could fly without permit, but there is some possibility/risk that you will get denied entry. Safest option is to apply. Quickest option is to try entering without the permit.

1516anushikha

Oct 25, 2019
Indian immigration and airlines only care about having passport and valid visa. Permit is required by Canadian immigration to get in.

You could fly without permit, but there is some possibility/risk that you will get denied entry. Safest option is to apply. Quickest option is to try entering without the permit.
I have already applied and it has been more than the processing time. I applied on 16th of September and it has been more than a month with no update and I have to leave on 15th November. I’m still waiting but have to prepare myself if it doesn’t turn in on time.
So what do you think will be feasible?

elbarto94

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TORONTO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-12-2017
LANDED..........
18-04-2018

If you've already paid for tickets, you might as well try flying without the permit. I would suggest carrying a color printout of the study permit (I hope you have a scan - your university might be able to provide one if you dont, they definitely have a copy). Also carry all documents that prove you are a student in good standing (ideally a letter from the university saying you are an active student, on top of that fee receipts, etc) - anything to prove that you are still studying.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

There is no risk of being denied entry. CBSA can verify the status in their system and print off a new study permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am not familiar with requirements for exiting India.

For entering Canada, you don't need the permit.

1516anushikha

Oct 25, 2019
If you've already paid for tickets, you might as well try flying without the permit. I would suggest carrying a color printout of the study permit (I hope you have a scan - your university might be able to provide one if you dont, they definitely have a copy). Also carry all documents that prove you are a student in good standing (ideally a letter from the university saying you are an active student, on top of that fee receipts, etc) - anything to prove that you are still studying.
Tickets are paid for, I have a scanned copy of my permit. The only thing is my studies are done and I have applied for work permit. My student permit ends on 30th November.
I think I can take the risk because the process is late from their end and I have all the documents showing I applied on time and emails from the immigration as well

elbarto94

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TORONTO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-12-2017
LANDED..........
18-04-2018
I’m more worried on existing Indian borders. Are you sure if I can go through Delhi immigrations without permit and with only TRV?
For sure, no problems doing that. They only need visa.