+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Losing permanent residency

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello,
My permanent residency card is valid until March 2023. Can I lose my permanent resident status if I leave Canada and I’m inside Canada less than 730 days in the last 5 years?
or does that mean I have my permanent residency until March 2023 ?
i applied for my citinzenship and I would like to leave Canada, I portably will get invite to do the test in December 2021 or 2022? My permanent resident care is until March 2023 , does that mean I’m covered and I’m okay or will I risk losing my permanent residency status ?
thank you

CorvusGlaive

Star Member
Oct 27, 2020
Hello,
My permanent residency card is valid until March 2023. Can I lose my permanent resident status if I leave Canada and I’m inside Canada less than 730 days in the last 5 years?
or does that mean I have my permanent residency until March 2023 ?
i applied for my citinzenship and I would like to leave Canada, I portably will get invite to do the test in December 2021 or 2022? My permanent resident care is until March 2023 , does that mean I’m covered and I’m okay or will I risk losing my permanent residency status ?
thank you
You would loose your permanent residency when you come back regardless of validity of your PR card. You might be given a removal order by CBSA at the airport if you haven’t lived in canada 3 out of 5 years. Someone just posted the same scenario like you. The guy wasn’t lived enough in Canada and when he came back, he was issued a removal order.

Reactions: BOYX

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
You would loose your permanent residency when you come back regardless of validity of your PR card. You might be given a removal order by CBSA at the airport if you haven’t lived in canada 3 out of 5 years. Someone just posted the same scenario like you. The guy wasn’t lived enough in Canada and when he came back, he was issued a removal order.
Correction, it’s 2 out of 5 years

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/urgent-help-needed-removal-order-issued-and-ircc-has-sent-a-fairness-letter-to-ultimately-reject-the-application.726620/
That's your answer in a nutshell. If you absolutely have to leave, keep days count. You are risking to lose your status if you are less than 730 days in-country out of a 5 year period
I think @Fae7 's case is a bit different.

They would be allowed to enter Canada BEFORE March 2023. If they enter before March 2023 and live here, then they're still considered a permanent resident regardless of their PR card being already expired or not.
ONLY when they would apply to renew their PR card, they would need to check their eligibility of the required 2 years out of the previous 5.

Permanent residency status is NOT linked to the PR card

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019

They would be allowed to enter Canada BEFORE March 2023. If they enter before March 2023 and live here, then they're still considered a permanent resident regardless of their PR card being already expired or not.
ONLY when they would apply to renew their PR card, they would need to check their eligibility of the required 2 years out of the previous 5.

I never said it is. And I don't feel like counting others' days in and out. All I was saying keep the days count right to not fail on this requirement.

Reactions: indigonation5

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Correction, it’s 2 out of 5 years
To add to this, it is a rolling 5-year window. That is to say that when you look back five years from today, have you stayed in Canada for 730 days? If not, then you risk an RO even if your PR card is valid for the next 100 years.

So to clarify once more, it is 5 years back from today. The 2 years in the 5 years ahead is only for new PRs.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON

No this is not fully accurate. You are correct when you say the status is not linked to the card. That is to say that if the card expires, you still maintain the status. In fact, you only technically lose your status after a determination has been made on your status and you are issued a removal order. So, this is totally correct.

However, they do not have to check their 2 years eligibility ONLY when they apply. In fact, every single time you enter Canada, the officer does a check on your Residency Obligations. As I mentioned above, even if your card is valid for 100 years, but you fail to meet the Residency Obligations in the last 5 years from today, you risk being subjected to a removal order at the border.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

This is true as long as they aren't reported for failing to meet the residency requirement when they re-enter Canada. If they are reported and don't meet RO, that's still a big problem.

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
No this is not fully accurate. You are correct when you say the status is not linked to the card. That is to say that if the card expires, you still maintain the status. In fact, you only technically lose your status after a determination has been made on your status and you are issued a removal order. So, this is totally correct.

However, they do not have to check their 2 years eligibility ONLY when they apply. In fact, every single time you enter Canada, the officer does a check on your Residency Obligations. As I mentioned above, even if your card is valid for 100 years, but you fail to meet the Residency Obligations in the last 5 years from today, you risk being subjected to a removal order at the border.
I see! Thank you for clarifying this.

Reactions: BOYX

Mar 31, 2021
How do you qualify to apply for citizenship with 730 days tho?
I understand it as the following: they qualified for the citizenship when they applied. However, since then, they have not stayed in Canada enough to meet the residency requirements when looking back 5 years.