Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
I got this email over the weekend:

Hello,

Our records show that you may be a permanent resident (PR) of Canada. This email is a reminder that you must present your valid Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada.

Canadian permanent residents who do not present a valid PR card or PRTD may be denied boarding their flight to Canada for not having the appropriate travel documents.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside of Canada. The expiry date is printed on the card. If your PR card is expired or will expire within six months, you should apply now to renew your card.

If you are in Canada and do not currently have a permanent resident card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident card.
If you are outside of Canada and do not have a PR card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD).
Plan ahead and check the processing times to receive a valid PR card or PRTD before your next international trip.

Please note that if you believe you no longer meet Canada’s permanent residency requirements, your permanent resident status must be resolved before you can apply for a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). For example, if you choose to give up (renounce) your permanent resident status, you can then apply for an eTA or a visa. Learn more about your residency requirements and your options as a permanent resident of Canada.

We encourage you to share this information with your family and friends as we want to avoid Canadian permanent residents experiencing travel delays because they don’t have the appropriate travel document to board a flight to Canada.

Thank you,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canad

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I think they found it a convenient time to strengthen the security requirements at same time as implementing the ETA for visa exempt non PRs to move the authority to travel check to the flight boarding country. I assume that non visa exempts already had some sort of check at checkin so this closes the loop for PRs and visa exempts.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
Bs65 said:
I think they found it a convenient time to strengthen the security requirements at same time as implementing the ETA for visa exempt non PRs to move the authority to travel check to the flight boarding country. I assume that non visa exempts already had some sort of check at checkin so this closes the loop for PRs and visa exempts.
It seems to be the case. Although I find it interesting that they still use the word 'may' rather than saying you 'will' be denied boarding. Still leaves it open for interpretation.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Although I find it interesting that they still use the word 'may' rather than saying you 'will' be denied boarding. Still leaves it open for interpretation.
I suspect that's government lawyers putting their 2 cents in. "Will" is a pretty strong term that implies some liability for the government if someone managed to get into the country on a flight without proper documentation, and there was some sort of legal action as a result. It's the crème de la crème of covering ones ass......be ambiguous! This way they can deflect the blame on the airline (We told them not to let them on!).

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
Buletruck said:
I suspect that's government lawyers putting their 2 cents in. "Will" is a pretty strong term that implies some liability for the government if someone managed to get into the country on a flight without proper documentation, and there was some sort of legal action as a result. It's the crème de la crème of covering ones ass......be ambiguous! This way they can deflect the blame on the airline (We told them not to let them on!).
haha so true, they could have added a 'possibly' and a 'potentially' in there for good measure as well

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
stalintouch said:
Just got the same email as well, havent been out of Canada in a while, not sure why this email
I guess they are covering all their bases, I was a little suspicious at first because it started: Hello,

I always think these are phishing scams as they don't have a name and if it were from the government you'd expect: To whom it may concern or Dear Sir/Madam

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
Buletruck said:
That's to gender specific to be politically correct these days.....
ooooh, I think there's some things I need to get used to in Canada.

lynz213

Aug 2, 2013
I received this too. I was also wondering about it. I guess they sent it to all PRs? Did anyone not get it?

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
lynz213 said:
I received this too. I was also wondering about it. I guess they sent it to all PRs? Did anyone not get it?
that could be a long list :)

Arctic16

Oct 28, 2016
I did get it too ... on two different email accounts !

One of them is the one I used for my citizenship application ('in process' since NOV 10)

This got me to start thinking ... and worrying too !

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
Arctic16 said:
I did get it too ... on two different email accounts !

One of them is the one I used for my citizenship application ('in process' since NOV 10)

This got me to start thinking ... and worrying too !
I don't think there's anything for you to worry about