+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for 1 or 2 Bedroom Apartment (Toronto)

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hi all,

In February 2018, I together with my family (spouse, one 4 yr child) would be joining OCAD University. I don't know much about areas. I would appreciate, if you help me in below questions:

1. How should I pre-arrange apartment? AIRBNB seems expensive option.
  2. Is it possible to find good 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in safe and nice neighborhood area in range of CAD 1000-1300? which areas would be good?
  3. Furnished or unfurnished? Private landlord or Realty some agents?
  4. what's difference between condo and normal apartment? also i explored some basement apartments, personally my spouse doesn't like basement apartments.
  5. The problem is we plan to arrive together, so I am worried how to manage proactively.
your valuable advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

In February 2018, I together with my family (spouse, one 4 yr child) would be joining OCAD University. I don't know much about areas. I would appreciate, if you help me in below questions:

It will be almost impossible to prearrange apartment. I would get an airbnb and after you arrive try and find an apartment. Also probably best for you to see the apartment first because most landlords will want you to sign a 1 year lease.
  1. Is it possible to find good 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in safe and nice neighborhood area in range of CAD 1000-1300? which areas would be good?
It won't be possible to find anything in that price range close to OCAD. Perhaps in the north or Toronto or the suburbs. You may also have to pay utilities, plus internet, etc. I would try to live in walking distance (10-15 minutes) to a subway station if possible.
  1. Furnished or unfurnished? Private landlord or Realty some agents?
Most longterm rentals are unfurnished in Canada. In your price range you will have to look for an apartment yourself. Websites like Kijiji and Viewit will provide listings of available rentals.

1. what's difference between condo and normal apartment? also i explored some basement apartments, personally my spouse doesn't like basement apartments.
Condos are often newer and have more amenities like concierge, party room, pool sometimes, etc. With your budget you will be looking at apartments not condos.
  1. The problem is we plan to arrive together, so I am worried how to manage proactively.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Jakev and jojee2k6

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hi all,

It will be almost impossible to prearrange apartment. I would get an airbnb and after you arrive try and find an apartment. Also probably best for you to see the apartment first because most landlords will want you to sign a 1 year lease.

your response is logical, as I was also skeptical and worried to pre-arrange, so AIRBNB, though I found it a bit expensive per/night, I don't know should I book for 1 week or 2 weeks or for month :(
  1. Is it possible to find good 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in safe and nice neighborhood area in range of CAD 1000-1300? which areas would be good?
It won't be possible to find anything in that price range close to OCAD. Perhaps in the north or Toronto or the suburbs. You may also have to pay utilities, plus internet, etc. I would try to live in walking distance (10-15 minutes) to a subway station if possible.

OK, I have no issue if within 5-10 KM accessible through subway or walking distance, I could go max. 1400 including all utilities etc. which areas should I look for, safe nice and reasonable neighborhood?
Most longterm rentals are unfurnished in Canada. In your price range you will have to look for an apartment yourself. Websites like Kijiji and Viewit will provide listings of available rentals.
OK! I will check viewit, and kijiji, so furnished 1-2 bedroom apartment in 5-10KM of OCAD U (as mentioned above north, subarbs), how much would be costing? I mean, should I rent furnished or unfurnished?
  1. what's difference between condo and normal apartment? also i explored some basement apartments, personally my spouse doesn't like basement apartments.
Condos are often newer and have more amenities like concierge, party room, pool sometimes, etc. With your budget you will be looking at apartments not condos.
OK! so, I within 1400 would not be possible if I find in north, or suburbs (actually I don't know where are north or subarbs areas I will check map)
  1. The problem is we plan to arrive together, so I am worried how to manage proactively.

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

your response is logical, as I was also skeptical and worried to pre-arrange, so AIRBNB, though I found it a bit expensive per/night, I don't know should I book for 1 week or 2 weeks or for month :(

I would start with 2 weeks or you can try 1 week if you prefer and hopefully you can extend or move to another airbnb.

OK, I have no issue if within 5-10 KM accessible through subway or walking distance, I could go max. 1400 including all utilities etc. which areas should I look for, safe nice and reasonable neighborhood?

Your budget will dictate where you can live. Take a look at various websites and a map to see if it is close to the subway. Things like internet will be something you will have to arrange on your own once you move in.
OK! I will check viewit, and kijiji, so furnished 1-2 bedroom apartment in 5-10KM of OCAD U (as mentioned above north, subarbs), how much would be costing? I mean, should I rent furnished or unfurnished?

You are unlikely to find furnished accomodations. Renting unfurnished is the norm in Canada.
OK! so, I within 1400 would not be possible if I find in north, or suburbs (actually I don't know where are north or subarbs areas I will check map)

Thanks in advance!

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hi canuck78, thanks for your reply to the post about housing.

Actually, I have been offered CAD 53K-57K with benefits (family insurance, dental, etc.) from OCAD U, so I don't know how much would be my after-tax income, and I don't know much about living expenses in Toronto. As I am skeptical either I would be easily manage a good life standard with these offer or no.

What do you think, If I rent apartment around CAD 1500 would it be possible to manage all other expenses in this range with good (not so high-fi) life standard, or in which range I can flexibly look for renting apartment?

If I consider at start Airbnb as you advised, for how long should I book it? I mean would 2 weeks would be enough? what would you do in my shoes?

I have no idea about living expenses there, hence not sure in which range would I be safely managing my family (spouse with +4 yr baby) and of course we we plan for another baby as well after we land in canada:) that's why I was considering 1 or 2 bedroom apartment.

Kindly advice!
Thanks!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think your budget will be quite tight especially if you add another baby soon. Public transportation, phone/internet, food, etc tend to be more expensive then many other countries. You will also have to furnish your apartment. Sites like kijiji have used furniture but you don't have a car to pick stuff up. You will also have things like taxes,various deductions, benefit payment deducted from your gross salary so it comes out to lesss than you may think. I would look at costs of things like diapers (and formula if applicable) before planning another baby so you know what your costs will be like. Your wife might be able to work at least part-time with your son in junior kindergarten for most of the day. Daycare is very expensive in Toronto so your wife will likely have to stay home if she has a baby due to the cost of daycare.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
I think your budget will be quite tight especially if you add another baby soon. Public transportation, phone/internet, food, etc tend to be more expensive then many other countries. You will also have to furnish your apartment. Sites like kijiji have used furniture but you don't have a car to pick stuff up. You will also have things like taxes,various deductions, benefit payment deducted from your gross salary so it comes out to lesss than you may think. I would look at costs of things like diapers (and formula if applicable) before planning another baby so you know what your costs will be like. Your wife might be able to work at least part-time with your son in junior kindergarten for most of the day. Daycare is very expensive in Toronto so your wife will likely have to stay home if she has a baby due to the cost of daycare.
Thanks for providing valuable insights, I have some initial savings which I will utilize there, but still I guess I have to re-consider the offer, as per your reply, it seems v. difficult to manage in such salary range. Though you are absolutely right and I appreciate your valuable experienced insights. I will re-think upon their offered package! thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For a starting salary especially in the arts it is probably better than average. Most people don't have a family at that point and most have a 2nd income if married.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
yeah, i want to be realistic, as currently I am in Milan and I have after-tax income of around 50K CAD, I am renting an 2-rooms apartment here at monthly CAD 1600, so we are doing fine, besides no savings. I was comparing with canada, hence was skeptical about it. Further, about wife job probably not in 2018 but in next yr. Well, I will re-think about all ups and downs, your realistic msg made me a bit depressed :) but absolutely you are right. I will see if I would negotiate package, which seems least possible, but I will see what I can do. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your wife is planning on working that will help but childcare is expensive. I would at least wait until she has worked long enough to be able to claim maternity benefits which pay you a part of your salary for 1 year while you stay home with your baby. I didn't mean to discourage you. Salaries in artistic professions tend to be lower. Your salary is actually very good for a college professor. Not sure if you are Italian but I think the opportunities and the health of the economy is better than in Italy. You are living in a place where the cost of living is not inexpensive so living in Canada will not be a huge shock but you won't be able to live in the the downtown or maybe in your preferred area. You have to start somewhere. Just didn't want you to be under the impression that you'd be able to rent a new condo or a house and have tons of disposable income. Many people live on much less. I think it is pretty unlikely that OCAD will change their offer. Some people are under the impression that living in Canada is inexpensive which is not the case in the large cities.

Reactions: jojee2k6

aircanada

May 27, 2014
Condo means a building where a different private individual owns each unit, these owners can occupy the units themselves or rent them out. Apartment means a building specifically built as rental residence, owned by a single company (commercial landlord), and often managed and rented out by the same company.

Condo is a newer phenomenon in Toronto, and hence buildings are newer and nicer generally. However there are new apartment buildings that are just as nice, so it really depends on what your budget is.

Based on this story I don't think you should be looking at 2-bedrooms at all, unless you want to shell out $2000+ easily. One bedroom should be fine for a couple with a young child.

Food is expensive but only if you eat outside. So that's a spending you can control easily. I agree with the above that childcare is very unaffordable and difficult to get so it'll be the parents looking after them till they start school... Your salary isn't bad for a new immigrant, it's not much either but if you're frugal you can manage.

I'd look at the apartment buildings near high park, places along Danforth line (Broadview to Victoria Park). There are apartment buildings near OCAD but they'd be very competitive and more expensive, though you'd be saving $150/month on transportation costs.

Last edited:

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

Condo means a building where a different private individual owns each unit, these owners can occupy the units themselves or rent them out. Apartment means a building specifically built as rental residence, owned by a single company (commercial landlord), and often managed and rented out by the same company.

Condo is a newer phenomenon in Toronto, and hence buildings are newer and nicer generally. However there are new apartment buildings that are just as nice, so it really depends on what your budget is.
Got it, so I will check both under my budget constraints, what do you think furnished or unfurnished would be feasible option?
Based on this story I don't think you should be looking at 2-bedrooms at all, unless you want to shell out $2000+ easily. One bedroom should be fine for a couple with a young child.
I was considering +1 bed room, as we were thinking to planning a baby in this year, anyways, your suggestion sounds logical, I hope we will manage.
Food is expensive but only if you eat outside. So that's a spending you can control easily. I agree with the above that childcare is very unaffordable and difficult to get so it'll be the parents looking after them till they start school... Your salary isn't bad for a new immigrant, it's not much either but if you're frugal you can manage.
well university will cover family insurance, besides the fact spouse would not be looking for immediate work in this year. We will restrict our outdoor eating, i hope we will manage.
I'd look at the apartment buildings near high park, places along Danforth line (Broadview to Victoria Park). There are apartment buildings near OCAD but they'd be very competitive and more expensive, though you'd be saving $150/month on transportation costs.
Thanks for highlighting areas, I will check these surroundings when I will reach there.

So, as advised I will initially book something nominal through AirBnB for 2 weeks initial, meanwhile will search apartments in neighborhood. So, I think from 1400-1700 I would be able to find good apartment. right?

aircanada

May 27, 2014
There's no culture of renting furnished apartments in Toronto. 99% of listings are unfurnished. If you rent furnished you're likely getting ripped off. Makes much more sense to just buy your own (new or second hand) furniture. With second hand be mindful of potential bedbugs.

1400-1700 should be enough for a one bedroom, although it may not be easy since that's more on the cheaper side. 2-Weeks airbnb is good. Make sure you choose an airbnb host with lots of good reviews.

Reactions: jojee2k6