+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lonely Canadian Program

Joyous01

Aug 23, 2021
I’m a Canadian citizen, newly divorced with no children and my parents are deceased. I’m not aware that I have any relatives in Canada. Can I sponsor my adult brother for immigration? Is there any implication if I applied for sponsorship and I’m newly divorced? Immigration will likely ask for a copy of divorced papers. I know about the sponsorship financial qualifications (I have no problem with this). What else do you think they will require from me?

frange

May 25, 2018
I’m a Canadian citizen, newly divorced with no children and my parents are deceased. I’m not aware that I have any relatives in Canada. Can I sponsor my adult brother for immigration? Is there any implication if I applied for sponsorship and I’m newly divorced? Immigration will likely ask for a copy of divorced papers. I know about the sponsorship financial qualifications (I have no problem with this). What else do you think they will require from me?
As long as you meet these criteria below; proofs must be:
1- Proof of divorce (single)
2- Death certificate( No parents and grand parents)
3- Proof of blood relation with your brother your both birth certificate showing the same name for deceased parents ( mother or father).

Other relative
You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

• you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • orphaned brother or sister
    • orphaned nephew or niece
    • orphaned grandchild
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act
If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada, you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

Joyous01

Aug 23, 2021
Thanks for your response! Just a follow up question...how can I thoroughly convinced RICC that I AM in fact no longer in a relationship with my ex-spouse (besides divorce papers of course!) and the divorce was not done for the sole purpose of sponsoring my brother. Any suggestions? Thanks!

frange

May 25, 2018
Thanks for your response! Just a follow up question...how can I thoroughly convinced RICC that I AM in fact no longer in a relationship with my ex-spouse (besides divorce papers of course!) and the divorce was not done for the sole purpose of sponsoring my brother. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Just make a note on a sheet of paper with 3 or 4 sentences explaining that you are single after divorcing your wife/husband and show the divorce paper with your last tax declaration showing your matrimonial status as single.
You don't have to talk about your brother since the first part is you as sponsor nothing else.

1- You are single at the time of the application( divorce or separate)
2- Both parents are deceased (death certificates of them)
3- No child since you were married, put a note that you have no child, neither RP or citizen relatives.
4- No welfare benefits at the time you are applying

NB: From my experience I listed all these criteria in a sheet of paper and put a note to explain how I meet this criteria + proof and it worked for me. In Process for me lasts only one day, no further double check needed since all my explanation +Proofs were there.

I did make a bullet point for each main criteria such as those 4 criteria listed above and put 3 or 4 sentence to explain how I meet that criteria and I put a reference number to the supporting document ( Please see document #XY).

NB: For bullet 4 which is welfare benefits, You can request a signed letter from social service stating that you are not receiving welfare benefits and put it in the package. For Alberta, lot of people complaining about the delay for IRCC to have response from the welfare service . If you can anticipate and request it, you would save time.

Last edited:

Joyous01

Aug 23, 2021
This is extremely helpful information!!! Thank you:) In your experience and/or observation, how long was the processing time for sponsored relative (Lonely Canadian Program) to obtain a PR status?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This is extremely helpful information!!! Thank you:) In your experience and/or observation, how long was the processing time for sponsored relative (Lonely Canadian Program) to obtain a PR status?
It's in his signature. He's sponsoring his brother. OP is in Quebec.

frange

May 25, 2018
A little bit longer than spousal sponsorship and shorter than Parents and Grand Parents categories. My file is still in process for my brother but I know 2 people( Paris VO) who got everything in less than 16 months.

NB: If one of your grand parents is alive, you don't qualify. Besides your parents deceased information, put a note to say your grand parents were deceased also. both Parents and grand parents have to be deceased.

For Quebec, you can have the Welfare document in 2 or 3 days depending of the area you live and if you have a file number with a «CLE which mean centre Local d'emploi» from Emploi Quebec as well. If you don't have a file go to a CLE in your area and tell them that you need a paper to proof immigration that you are not on welfare(Bien-etre Social ou aide de dernier recours in Quebec). If they accept to do that ; just tell them not to send it by poste and you will come take it at the front desk. Just to avoid processing time and postal delay. But The first is to go to a CLE, fill out the form and an officer will check everything and give you the signed welfare paper. So, they use to that but you have to show that you need it right away since Immigration ask you for that.

Just a send a complete package to IRCC and everything will be OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have applied family sponsorship visa today. how much does it take time?
Depends on the country and program. If you applied through the other family / lonely Canadian stream, then you are generally looking at 2-3 years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response. But medical test has expired in 12 months
IRCC will ask you to re-take the medical at some point in the process.