+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lonely Canadian in Quebec Sponsoring Sibling

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding family sponsorship that I hope the experts over here could help me with.

I live in Quebec and would like to sponsor my brother, who is married and has 3 kids. I’m not married, have no relatives here in Canada and no relatives who are Canadian or permanent resident.
  1. I noticed that, unlike the IRCC Web site, in the list of requirements for the sponsored person on the Immigration Quebec Web site (https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/requirements-sponsor/index.html), there is no mention of the Other Relatives case (see below)! Is this a mistake? Would they still issue a CSQ for my brother?
  2. Is there a condition that a sponsored PR cannot sponsor family? I’m only asking in case I only sponsor my brother and have him sponsor his family after he becomes a PR (most likely won’t be the case)? I do understand that the process would be longer for him and that might mean they would be separated until they eventually land. I just want to know all our options.
To be sponsored, your close relative must belong to the family class and meet specific requirements:

You can sponsor:
• Your spouse, de facto spouse or conjugal partner – Specific requirements
• Your dependent child – Specific requirements
• Your father, mother, grandfather or grandmother – Specific requirements
• Your orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter who is under 18 years of age and does not have a spouse or de facto spouse – Specific requirements
• A child you plan to adopt (international adoption) – Process for adopting a child residing abroad
Thanks in advance for any help!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You meet the federal conditions but not the Quebec conditions. I would follow up with immigration Quebec to confirm. How old are the children?

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
You meet the federal conditions but not the Quebec conditions. I would follow up with immigration Quebec to confirm. How old are the children?
I don't have any children. If you mean my brother's children, they are all under 10 years old. I do not understand though, doesn't the lonely Canadian case apply in Quebec?!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don't have any children. If you mean my brother's children, they are all under 10 years old. I do not understand though, doesn't the lonely Canadian case apply in Quebec?!
On the link provided for sponsoring relatives it says “If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor after we approve you as a sponsor. This includes signing an “undertaking” with the province. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.” So not sure if Quebec has different criteria for relatives as posted.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/eligibility.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are good to submit the sponsorship application. You'll need to make sure you meet Quebec's income requirements for six people (yourself and your brother's family).

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
On the link provided for sponsoring relatives it says “If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor after we approve you as a sponsor. This includes signing an “undertaking” with the province. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.” So not sure if Quebec has different criteria for relatives as posted.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/eligibility.html
Thanks for all your help. That's true and I understand that the undertaking would be with the Quebec government, not the federal. But as mentioned in the link, that is only about the sponsor (not the sponsored). I guess the only way to verify to check with Immigration Quebec as you mentioned (although the people answering the phone often give incorrect answers and confuse things!). Unless someone else over here had a similar case and knows the answer!

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
You are good to submit the sponsorship application. You'll need to make sure you meet Quebec's income requirements for six people (yourself and your brother's family).
Thanks Scylla! I do meet the income requirements (hopefully that remains the case until a decision is made, but no one can predict the future, especially not with all what is going on these days with the pandemic and all). The only thing that caught my attention is unlike the IRCC Web site, where the Other Relatives (lonely Canadian) case is clearly stated, the Immigration Quebec Web site has no mention of that at all. Hopefully this is just an under-sight and they forgot to include it (or it was dropped from the English translation for some reason!).

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
I believe I might have found the answer to my first question. According to section 59 of the Quebec Immigration Act, a foreign national belongs to the family class if the foreign national is:
(6) a person related to the foreign national, regardless of age or degree of relationship with the sponsor, where the sponsor does not have a spouse or de facto spouse, child, father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece
(a) who is a Canadian citizen, an Indian or a permanent resident within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (S.C. 2001, c. 27); and
(b) whom he or she could sponsor.
So it seems to me Immigration Quebec just omitted that last case from their Web site!

Last edited:

frange

May 25, 2018
I believe I might have found the answer to my first question. According to section 59 of the Quebec Immigration Act, a foreign national belongs to the family class if the foreign national is:

So it seems to me Immigration Quebec just omitted that last case from their Web site!
So you got it. Did you check the Quebec Income requirements? You should have for 6 people, though. I already send my application since early November and I am in waiting mode.

Thanks.

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
So you got it. Did you check the Quebec Income requirements? You should have for 6 people, though. I already send my application since early November and I am in waiting mode.

Thanks.
Yes, in my case the income requirements should be for 5 people + 1 (myself). I believe I meet the requirements. I have not submitted an application yet. Still discussing it with my brother. But will post here once I do. It would be great if you could update your progress here too, as this seems to be a specific and not so common case. Most sponsorship applications are for spouses and parents and grand parents.

frange

May 25, 2018
Yes, in my case the income requirements should be for 5 people + 1 (myself). I believe I meet the requirements. I have not submitted an application yet. Still discussing it with my brother. But will post here once I do. It would be great if you could update your progress here too, as this seems to be a specific and not so common case. Most sponsorship applications are for spouses and parents and grand parents.
Did you submit your brother's application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I feel such a relief today.... I AM SO HAPPY.
AOR, sponsor eligibility, Bio fee request and file is moving to mexico VO. All at the same time.
Quebec undertakings now.
My timeline is in my signature.
Although exciting I would temper your excitement until your sibling gets COPR. There are still quite a few obstacles that could come up.