+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA in different field

Simmi grewal

Aug 28, 2019
I am working as a Data Analyst / Geophysicist currently on PGWP which expires in Jan 2024. My current employer is not supporting me for LMIA or further work permits. I am getting an offer from a gas station for a cashier job in a small town and they are willing to provide LMIA/PR support. Since my visa is expiring 3 months I do not have any other option and I am thinking to choose the gas station job so I can get my further work permits and apply for PNP and PR as well.

Is it possible to get an LMIA for Gas station cashier job if I have a total different background previously???

Any suggestions will help!

eccv

Star Member
Sep 9, 2023
LMIA isn't issued to a foreign worker, but to an employer.

Who the employer hires with the LMIA doesn't matter.

Simmi grewal

Aug 28, 2019
LMIA isn't issued to a foreign worker, but to an employer.

Who the employer hires with the LMIA doesn't matter.
OK but my work permit application will go thru IRCC for the LMIA based work permit isn't it??? will I have issues proving experience for that?

sorry I have no idea about how LMIA based work permits are assessed so making sure before I take a decision to start this job

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am working as a Data Analyst / Geophysicist currently on PGWP which expires in Jan 2024. My current employer is not supporting me for LMIA or further work permits. I am getting an offer from a gas station for a cashier job in a small town and they are willing to provide LMIA/PR support. Since my visa is expiring 3 months I do not have any other option and I am thinking to choose the gas station job so I can get my further work permits and apply for PNP and PR as well.

Is it possible to get an LMIA for Gas station cashier job if I have a total different background previously???

Any suggestions will help!
If you get LMIA and your work permit is expiring, then you apply for a closed work permit. A LMIA is approved when the employer proves no one in Canada, Canadian or PR can do the job, only you. You have to show that you are experienced to do the job so yes your work permit can be declined.

Reactions: rcincanada2019

eccv

Star Member
Sep 9, 2023
I don't think cashier requires much experience, so probably not likely to be declined as long as you have a job offer with LMIA approved.

Frankly for small towns where it's hard to find people, I've seen LMIA gets approved for basic jobs.