+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA for International Student case

danihananel94

Sep 1, 2022
On what basis is your job LMIA exempt? I would recommend that you quote the specific exemption (code / number) you fall under and also obtain documents from your employer to support this. This should be a job offer letter that outlines your NOC and job duties, along with information regarding the LMIA exemption (e.g. is this due to the nature of your employer's business or something else). Basically you need to prove that you have a job offer (that should be easy) and then prove you fall under an LMIA exemption. If you tell us which specific exemption you fall under, we might be able to help further.

I'm not sure what you mean by "any IRCC information that clearly defines the pathway for switching from a study permit to closed work permit". You would simply apply for a closed work permit. However I don't think this is what you need to prove. You need to prove you are eligible for a closed work permit without an approved LMIA.
Thanks for ur response. My job is LMIA exempt by eeason of JOB VACANCY ASSESSMENT approval (JVA) granted my employer by the office of immigration & Multiculturalism, which allows him to employ a specific amount of foreign workers within a time frame. The document specificies that once the employer grants an offer to an employee, it is mandatory for the employee to apply for NLPNP attaching every required document & the JVA which I have done. But the provincial immigration officer is asking me if I am eligible to apply for a work permit "in my own right" without a PNP nomination. She doesn't seem convinced from my response, quoting that I av to demonstrate I am eligible for work permit first without their pnp nomination.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for ur response. My job is LMIA exempt by eeason of JOB VACANCY ASSESSMENT approval (JVA) granted my employer by the office of immigration & Multiculturalism, which allows him to employ a specific amount of foreign workers within a time frame. The document specificies that once the employer grants an offer to an employee, it is mandatory for the employee to apply for NLPNP attaching every required document & the JVA which I have done. But the provincial immigration officer is asking me if I am eligible to apply for a work permit "in my own right" without a PNP nomination. She doesn't seem convinced from my response, quoting that I av to demonstrate I am eligible for work permit first without their pnp nomination.
I don't know the answer to this. You may want to speak with a lawyer.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
From the NL website on JVAs: Employers with temporary labour needs can hire Temporary International Workers through Service Canada’s Labour Market Impact Assessment, or if your needs meet one of the exempted areas specified by the Government of Canada.

So what is the exemption code that you are eligible under? What is your NOC? The job vacancy is through the province and links you to the code exemptions th. You need to be eligible for a work permit through one of the exemption codes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes.html

danihananel94

Sep 1, 2022
From the NL website on JVAs: Employers with temporary labour needs can hire Temporary International Workers through Service Canada’s Labour Market Impact Assessment, or if your needs meet one of the exempted areas specified by the Government of Canada.

So what is the exemption code that you are eligible under? What is your NOC? The job vacancy is through the province and links you to the code exemptions th. You need to be eligible for a work permit through one of the exemption codes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes.html
My NOC is C. The exemption code is T13 under R204. The job is personal care aide.

rhion23

Nov 22, 2019
Hi! What happened to your nlpnp application? Did you received your nomination already?

danihananel94

Sep 1, 2022
Am sorry this is coming late. I received my nomination and currently on a work permit. Tnks alot to scylla and Naturgrl for their input.

Dec 24, 2022
Am sorry this is coming late. I received my nomination and currently on a work permit. Tnks alot to scylla and Naturgrl for their input.

Hello. Did you finish your program of study before applying for the closed work permit?

If no, what percentage of your program was completed when you applied for the closed work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello. Did you finish your program of study before applying for the closed work permit?

If no, what percentage of your program was completed when you applied for the closed work permit?
In this case they already had a year experience which alllwed them to apply for a very specific program. There is huge demand for personal support workers which is why they had this particular program.

Dec 24, 2022
In this case they already had a year experience which alllwed them to apply for a very specific program. There is huge demand for personal support workers which is why they had this particular program.

Hello. Does this mean that if i have years of experience in IT for example, i can choose not to complete my current program of study if i get a job offer via lmia that is related to my IT experience, and apply for a closed work permit?