+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA for International Student case

komostati

May 7, 2017
Hi guys. Sorry it's the 3rd time I post this week but trying to draw a clear path since this is "The Year" for me.

Recap: since I already obtained my PGWP and went back to school to do Masters, I technically have to leave when I graduate (this coming June,2019). Because PGWP is a one in a lifetime gift.

Now: The only way to stay and work -I suppose- is to get LMIA from an employer.

Based on your experience:

• What are the chances for a graduate of Masters in Computer and Electrical Engineering with NO WORK experience to be eligible for LMIA?

• I haven't read about a case of a student applying to LMIA from within Canada (I read about cases of workers). Is there a specific procedure or is it possible to technically switch your study permit to work permit "based" on the LMIA offer?

Thanks a lot !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Generally speaking it's very difficult to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process because it's so long and expensive with no guarantee of approval. The LMIA process can easily take 4-6 months to complete so you will want to start looking for an employer well before you finish your studies. I don't think any of us can tell you what your chances are of securing a job offer with no work experience. Note that the first step in the LMIA process is for your employer to advertise your job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role.

If you can find an employer who is willing to offer you a job in Canada and who can get an approved LMIA - yes, you can apply for a work permit from within Canada. You will not be applying to switch your study permit to a work permit. You'll simply apply for a closed work permit.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Dont want to say impossible but pretty much impossible, an employer would not go through LMIA for someone who doesnt bring experience.

See if you qualify for one of the PR paths or PNP, I think Ontario has a Masters graduates stream.

Reactions: scylla

komostati

May 7, 2017
Generally speaking it's very difficult to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process because it's so long and expensive with no guarantee of approval. The LMIA process can easily take 4-6 months to complete so you will want to start looking for an employer well before you finish your studies. I don't think any of us can tell you what your chances are of securing a job offer with no work experience. Note that the first step in the LMIA process is for your employer to advertise your job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role.

If you can find an employer who is willing to offer you a job in Canada and who can get an approved LMIA - yes, you can apply for a work permit from within Canada. You will not be applying to switch your study permit to a work permit. You'll simply apply for a closed work permit.

Great answer. Thank you. I'll soon be doing an internship in my professors lab (more like an established start-up) . The plan is to ask him to offer full time job. It's a niche field (mircrofluidics) so hopefully he can get a positive LMIA for it since not too many people in this domain.

I appreciate your reply.

komostati

May 7, 2017
Dont want to say impossible but pretty much impossible, an employer would not go through LMIA for someone who doesnt bring experience.

See if you qualify for one of the PR paths or PNP, I think Ontario has a Masters graduates stream.

I'm doing my graduate studies in Quebec. I did my undergrad in Ontario (pretty much screwed myself up since now I am forced to learn french). We'll see how things go. I'm on it now. Thanks for the answer.

komostati

May 7, 2017

Scylla- wouldn't this make sense to the government: this guy is already trained in this company for few months and therefore he's the most eligible for the job ?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It isn’t a matter of most eligible. It’s a matter of is there a Canadian or Permenent resident who can do the job. It’s about keeping your people employed.
That said, it is up to the employer to set the hiring criteria. But they do have to appease IRCC at the same time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Scylla- wouldn't this make sense to the government: this guy is already trained in this company for few months and therefore he's the most eligible for the job ?
No - it's not that simple. If it was that simple, obtaining an LMIA would be easy. See Bluetruck's response above.

Reactions: komostati

$unn¥123

Jul 25, 2015

HI Scylla and any seniors who can advise me on this,
Could i ask you on this?
First of all Greetings, Well.. I am international student in Canada. Now after finishing my studies i am not allowed to apply for PGWP9 Because of private school). I eamn can i change my status student to Full time Worker ?
Now if i wish to apply for " Closed Work Permit". Am i legally allowed to do so???
I request kindly suggest what could be the best call in this case.
My course ends in next year (2020). Should i try to find employer who ready to offer full time employment???? I hope to get positive reply .....Thanks in advance

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Could i ask you on this?
First of all Greetings, Well.. I am international student in Canada. Now after finishing my studies i am not allowed to apply for PGWP9 Because of private school). I eamn can i change my status student to Full time Worker ?
Now if i wish to apply for " Closed Work Permit". Am i legally allowed to do so???
My course ends in next year (2020). Should i try to find employer who ready to offer full time employment???? I hope to get positive reply .....Thanks in advance
Getting full time employment does not get you a work permit, there are very few ways to get a work permit after studies either you get PGWP or your employer gets an LMIA and you apply for closed work permit.

Realistically starting at a new PGWP elligable school is your best option, your private school time will not count.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Could i ask you on this?
You are not legally allowed to apply for a closed work permit at this time.

If you want to change to a closed work permit, you need to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and obtain an approved LMIA. Generally speaking, it's extremely difficult to find an employer willing to go through this process.

rish6

Sep 5, 2013

You will not be applying to switch your study permit to a work permit. You'll simply apply for a closed work permit.
Hi Scylla, if a student applied for a cloed wp with a positive LMIA, then how does that work? Does the SP gets cancelled nd then he she receives the WP

danihananel94

Sep 1, 2022
Hello Guys,

I have quite a similar case but mine is that as an international student I obtained a valid job offer and LMIA exempt from my employer. I applied for Newfoundland PNP as the LMIA EXEMPT document said it is mandatory to apply for NLPNP. Now, the officer is asking me to demonstrate that I am eligible for a work permit without the PNP nomination first. Pls does anyone know any IRCC information that clearly defines the pathway for switching from a study permit to closed work permit, cos i only need to prove to this officer that I am eligible to get a work permit so she can approve my PNP nomination. An urgent response will be appreciated as I av limited days to respond. Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Guys,

I have quite a similar case but mine is that as an international student I obtained a valid job offer and LMIA exempt from my employer. I applied for Newfoundland PNP as the LMIA EXEMPT document said it is mandatory to apply for NLPNP. Now, the officer is asking me to demonstrate that I am eligible for a work permit without the PNP nomination first. Pls does anyone know any IRCC information that clearly defines the pathway for switching from a study permit to closed work permit, cos i only need to prove to this officer that I am eligible to get a work permit so she can approve my PNP nomination. An urgent response will be appreciated as I av limited days to respond. Thanks
How are you eligible for a LMIA exempt permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Guys,

On what basis is your job LMIA exempt? I would recommend that you quote the specific exemption (code / number) you fall under and also obtain documents from your employer to support this. This should be a job offer letter that outlines your NOC and job duties, along with information regarding the LMIA exemption (e.g. is this due to the nature of your employer's business or something else). Basically you need to prove that you have a job offer (that should be easy) and then prove you fall under an LMIA exemption. If you tell us which specific exemption you fall under, we might be able to help further.

I'm not sure what you mean by "any IRCC information that clearly defines the pathway for switching from a study permit to closed work permit". You would simply apply for a closed work permit. However I don't think this is what you need to prove. You need to prove you are eligible for a closed work permit without an approved LMIA.

Reactions: Naturgrl