+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application processing time?

Pink81

Mar 25, 2016
sbtcak said:
Hi guys,

I have been following this forum since I applied for LMIA at the end of January.
It has been very helpful and encouraging to see people who are in the same situation.
25 weeks is going to pass very soon and I was thinking of asking my agent to contact service Canada.

here is my information

job category: pastry chef (NOC 6252)
province: BC
wage: $15/hour

documents sent on Jan. 26th
file number received on February 10

I wanted to ask you guys today if the positive LMIA assessment and work permit are depended on my previous work experience.
For example, I only had 6 months of work experience as a pastry chef at the time of my application. My employer knows the situation but they saw potential in me and agreed to apply for LMIA.
I spoke with the agent about it before applying but they did not say one way or the other.
Does less experience mean less chance?
What do you guys think?

We have almost the same timeline
Mine was submitted
Jan 18
Feb 7 file number
Today i ask my employer to call SC to file for escalation
As it reach 25 wks already.
This forum is a big help. Even my employer does not know about escalation

stagmore

May 21, 2016
Hello sbtcak

Your LMIA application has nothing to do with your previous experience, your experience will impact your work permit application after LMIA approval.

At this time ESDC will only assess the impact of your LMIA application in Canadian job market. In other words, they will only check whether or not adequate efforts have been put to hire someone within Canada rather hiring a non-resident.

Hope this help!

sbtcak

Jun 23, 2016
stagmore said:
Hello sbtcak

Your LMIA application has nothing to do with your previous experience, your experience will impact your work permit application after LMIA approval.

At this time ESDC will only assess the impact of your LMIA application in Canadian job market. In other words, they will only check whether or not adequate efforts have been put to hire someone within Canada rather hiring a non-resident.

Hope this help!
Thanks stagmore for the info! I am relieved about the LMIA but getting worried about work permit..
i will keep my fingers crossed...

stagmore

May 21, 2016
I understand one can request for file escalation after 25 weeks, however my question is - 25 weeks from when. Does it from:

- The day you submit the application?
- Or, the day they receive it?

Please if someone help understanding the same.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Lots of pages too read, but quick question.

If the job is high skilled high wage (Assuming that means NOC 0 A or B, and above median wage)

does that make the lmia application time quicker?

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
playtheman said:

If the job is high skilled high wage (Assuming that means NOC 0 A or B, and above median wage)

Usually, it does. My second attempt (high wage) took 24 days. However, my first attempt took 20 weeks due to missing documents. So, make your application perfect and it will be processed quickly.

Regarding the first attempt I mentioned above, this was what we got on an email:
Under 10 days processing:
Your application for a Labour Market Impact Assessment cannot be processed within 10 days as the application is missing supporting documentation(s) and /or some clarifications are required as mentioned above.

Joejo

Star Member
Dec 12, 2015
playtheman said:

It does. My first application took 20 days including the Christmas holidays, but was a rejection. Second application took 20 days again with a positive result. Make sure your application is complete in all aspects. Wish you all the best.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Joejo said:
It does. My first application took 20 days including the Christmas holidays, but was a rejection. Second application took 20 days again with a positive result. Make sure your application is complete in all aspects. Wish you all the best.
Can I ask what failed the first time for yours?
My employer is willing to work with me to make sure we do everything correctly.

Jsingj67

Nov 24, 2015
playtheman said:
Can I ask what failed the first time for yours?
My employer is willing to work with me to make sure we do everything correctly.
Is service Canada will provide me a file number or they will give decision directly I applied 1 week ago from restrautant.?

stagmore

May 21, 2016
Hey Guys

Just to ask, does Service Canada approves LMIA application without making any interview calls to employer?

Thanks in advance!

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Jsingj67 said:
Is service Canada will provide me a file number or they will give decision directly I applied 1 week ago from restrautant.?
You wont get a file number, its entirely employer driven if im not mistaken. (?)

danieltiendat

Oct 29, 2015
Hello everyone,

I finally got the LMIA. Yay :))) I just want to share with you my timeline:

NOC : 5241 (Graphic Designers and Illustrators)
Province : Quebec
April 19 : application submitted
May 19 : application received
June 2 : Notification of required additional document sent, but I received the notification letter on June 10 --> to clarify one answer that my boss missed.
June 13 : additional document submitted
July 5 : my boss/my lawyer received another letter to require submitting additional document. This time was about CSST cotisation proof. We had one week to submit (deadline : July 12)
July 11 (1PM) : CSST proof submitted.
July 11 (3PM) : an officier from Service Canada called my boss to tell that my LMIA is approved. They will send the official LMIA in 1 week.

My LMIA will be valid for 1 year (according to Service Canada, since I applied LMIA to support PR, 1 year should be enough). So... it takes me 7 weeks to get the LMIA, starting from the date they received my application.