+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application - Job advertisement period & $1000 fee for work permit

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
Q1) Does my employer have to register me on the TFW web service before my job is advertised on Job Bank?

Q2) If I am awarded a positive free LMIA, can I pay the $1000 to receive a dual-intent LMIA immediately? Or do I have to start my application all over again?

Q3) What form of proof does my employer need to show in my LMIA application that they interviewed potential candidates? How many interviews are enough? Are phone interviews acceptable? Do CIC have a record of who applies to certain jobs on Job Bank?

Q4) Does my job need to be advertised on any other job boards? Can they be free job boards like Craigslist?

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm pretty sure the LMIA applicaiton is free if you're an EE candidate? I can't confirm this though.

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
The $1000 LMIA gives you 600 EE points and a closed work permit with your company.

The free LMIA only gives you 600 EE points, but you cannot work on it.

irishIan

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
I think you either apply for LMIA with your PR which is free for the employer and has a reported 10 day processing time......lets see about that, but you cannot work until you have the LMIA in your hand.

The other LMIA is for a work permit for temporary resident. This will cost the employer (not you) $1000 and take anywhere between 3-6 months including 1 month of job advertisements. If you already have a work permit and are extending it then you can be on implied status for 2 months until the LMIA comes through.

My company had under 10 people with anything close to the bare qualifications apply...i think as long as lots of Canadians dont apply then you should be ok. They will look for proof that people applied, their applications and why the company didnt hire them.

It needs to be on Job Bank for THE WHOLE DURATION OF THE PROCESS and two others that are not local

Immed

Jan 16, 2015
The $1000 LMIA is for an employer looking to hire TFW. If you are someone looking for an LMIA for a PR application you or your employer won't have to worry about the $1000. The LMIA is free if it is for a PR application and you will *not* get a closed work permit with the company.

*edit missed an important word

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immed said:
The $1000 LMIA is for an employer looking to hire TFW. If you are someone looking for an LMIA for a PR application you or your employer won't have to worry about the $1000. The LMIA is free if it is for a PR application and you will get a closed work permit with the company.
this is wrong. the free LMIA does NOT come with a work permit. It is simply to support your EE application, you cannot work if you don't have valid working status yourself.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
irishIan said:
I think you either apply for LMIA with your PR which is free for the employer and has a reported 10 day processing time......lets see about that, but you cannot work until you have the LMIA in your hand.

The other LMIA is for a work permit for temporary resident. This will cost the employer (not you) $1000 and take anywhere between 3-6 months including 1 month of job advertisements. If you already have a work permit and are extending it then you can be on implied status for 2 months until the LMIA comes through.

My company had under 10 people with anything close to the bare qualifications apply...i think as long as lots of Canadians dont apply then you should be ok. They will look for proof that people applied, their applications and why the company didnt hire them.

It needs to be on Job Bank for THE WHOLE DURATION OF THE PROCESS and two others that are not local
so far as I know, regardless of whether you're applying for the LMIA with permit or without, the process to apply and processing time is the same. 2-5 months.
the only thing I've seen about a 10 day LMIA is for short term contracts, lasting less than 120 days - no use for a PR application.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ThisIsHoof said:
Q1) Does my employer have to register me on the TFW web service before my job is advertised on Job Bank?

Q2) If I am awarded a positive free LMIA, can I pay the $1000 to receive a dual-intent LMIA immediately? Or do I have to start my application all over again?

Q3) What form of proof does my employer need to show in my LMIA application that they interviewed potential candidates? How many interviews are enough? Are phone interviews acceptable? Do CIC have a record of who applies to certain jobs on Job Bank?

Q4) Does my job need to be advertised on any other job boards? Can they be free job boards like Craigslist?
1 - don't know.
2- doubt it. To get a work permit with the LMIA, the fee is paid by the company. the potential employees don't pay that money as the LMIA application is employer driven. If you need the permit, get your company to apply for the $1000 one.
3 - as much as possible. it's going to come down to the person assessing it and whether they think enough of an effort was made by the company.
4 - yes at least three for the whole LMIA application process.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hariskhan said:
What is a "valid working status" ? What does it mean ?
seriously? the legal ability to work, like a work permit that is still valid.
if you're applying for the free LMIA, your work permit needs to stay valid for the duration. if it expires, the free LMIA does not allow you to apply for a work permit.

irishIan

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
Job Bank is the main one here. This one needs to be up for the whole process above all else.

The PR LMIA is supposed to be quick as there is no need for a work permit and there is little to no impact assessment on Canadians needing a job.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
irishIan said:
Job Bank is the main one here. This one needs to be up for the whole process above all else.

The PR LMIA is supposed to be quick as there is no need for a work permit and there is little to no impact assessment on Canadians needing a job.
I would think that the impact assessment is the same for both of them, if an employer is telling the government they support a PR application because they need the foreign worker, they still need to prove that they can't get a Canadian..

Immed

Jan 16, 2015
purplesnow said:
this is wrong. the free LMIA does NOT come with a work permit. It is simply to support your EE application, you cannot work if you don't have valid working status yourself.
Oh my bad, forgot a very important word haha

The employer must also target "underrepresented groups".

hariskhan

Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm applying for EE FSW. When do I have "valid working status" in that process ?