Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi all,

I too got PR through FSW Express Entry. Did my landing in Sep 2016 in Toronto, stayed there for a week and came back to my home country.

I work for an american bank whose office is in my home country as well as in Montreal (nowhere else in Canada). I contacted HR personal based in Montreal and they denied considering me for a position in Montreal. Actually they had consulted the immigration firm that has tie up with our company (they take care of all work visas for our company). Based on that, they came to conclusion that FSW can not work in Quebec.

The immigration attorney who is associated with our company said that although Canadian charter gives a PR right to go anywhere in Canada and work, the rules of immigration are different and it's very likely that at some point in time, they may start investigation and revoke your PR since you have not made any attempts staying settling outside Quebec.

I know he is giving BS (may be because his immigration firm has vested interest or whatever).

Can anyone please advise how I can prove it to them that FSW PR holder can also work in Quebec? Any links to credible resources or documents that may help?

Thanks in advance
Imo, you're right. That attorney hired by your company is BSing. There is no restriction over an/y employer in Quebec to hire a PR settled in another province. Every legal resident of Canada can be hired by anyone / in any province, including Quebec.

R

rish888

Hi all,

I too got PR through FSW Express Entry. Did my landing in Sep 2016 in Toronto, stayed there for a week and came back to my home country.

I work for an american bank whose office is in my home country as well as in Montreal (nowhere else in Canada). I contacted HR personal based in Montreal and they denied considering me for a position in Montreal. Actually they had consulted the immigration firm that has tie up with our company (they take care of all work visas for our company). Based on that, they came to conclusion that FSW can not work in Quebec.

The immigration attorney who is associated with our company said that although Canadian charter gives a PR right to go anywhere in Canada and work, the rules of immigration are different and it's very likely that at some point in time, they may start investigation and revoke your PR since you have not made any attempts staying settling outside Quebec.

I know he is giving BS (may be because his immigration firm has vested interest or whatever).

Can anyone please advise how I can prove it to them that FSW PR holder can also work in Quebec? Any links to credible resources or documents that may help?

Thanks in advance
Straight from the horse's mouth:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

Scroll down to the section on "what PR's can do."

Btw your immigration attorney is wrong about the investigation. The rule is that until the point you complete your landing, you must not have an intent to stay in Quebec. However intent can of course change, and as long as that change in intent happens after landing, you are not violating immigration regulations. You do not need to "make efforts to settle outside Quebec."

Also let your company know that as a PR you don't need any kind of work permit, so they shouldn't be consulting with immigration attorneys. Your SIN is proof of your right to work.

sgemini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Straight from the horse's mouth:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

Scroll down to the section on "what PR's can do."

Btw your immigration attorney is wrong about the investigation. The rule is that until the point you complete your landing, you must not have an intent to stay in Quebec. However intent can of course change, and as long as that change in intent happens after landing, you are not violating immigration regulations. You do not need to "make efforts to settle outside Quebec."

Also let your company know that as a PR you don't need any kind of work permit, so they shouldn't be consulting with immigration attorneys. Your SIN is proof of your right to work.
thanks for the valuable inputs. yeah I tried to convince HR over a call but they are totally stupid to understand things beyond what the attorney affiliated to firm tells them. The only point they keep repeating is the initial process of Quebec (CSQ and all). They even suggest that the only option is to renounce the PR and get a work permit through the company if I am willing to do that (which offcourse I wont).

Any idea how much does it cost to hire an independent immigration attorney(preferably based in Quebec)? Just thinking of getting it in writing from another expert who doesn't have a vested interest in my companies work permit processing.

R

rish888

thanks for the valuable inputs. yeah I tried to convince HR over a call but they are totally stupid to understand things beyond what the attorney affiliated to firm tells them. The only point they keep repeating is the initial process of Quebec (CSQ and all). They even suggest that the only option is to renounce the PR and get a work permit through the company if I am willing to do that (which offcourse I wont).

Any idea how much does it cost to hire an independent immigration attorney(preferably based in Quebec)? Just thinking of getting it in writing from another expert who doesn't have a vested interest in my companies work permit processing.
Try sending HR an email and have them put it on paper that it is their opinion that you cannot work in Quebec? Then forward them the link above.

Azhar ud din

May 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 23, 2014
Nomination.....
PER : Nov 20, 2014
File Transfer...
Second Line Update : 10th Apr, 2015
Med's Request
Apr, 2015
Med's Done....
Apr, 2015
Interview........
IA Waived
Passport Req..
IA Soon
VISA ISSUED...
IA Soon
LANDED..........
IA Soon
Imo, you're right. That attorney hired by your company is BSing. There is no restriction over an/y employer in Quebec to hire a PR settled in another province. Every legal resident of Canada can be hired by anyone / in any province, including Quebec.
That's correct, I have a PR status via Federal Skilled Worker, landed in Regina but after three months got an offer from Montreal and moved here without any issues/problems. In fact, it was my employer who convinced me that since you are a PR, you do not need any CSQ or anything else and are free to move/work in Quebec. I also checked on the cic website which states the same about mobility rights. See the official answer to same question http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1113&top=6 . Yes, there is a grey zone if you are a new PR via Provincial Nominee as it might have some residential clause associated.

Hope it helps...

Thanks!

Reactions: 8494193

That's correct, I have a PR status via Federal Skilled Worker, landed in Regina but after three months got an offer from Montreal and moved here without any issues/problems. In fact, it was my employer who convinced me that since you are a PR, you do not need any CSQ or anything else and are free to move/work in Quebec. I also checked on the cic website which states the same about mobility rights. See the official answer to same question http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1113&top=6 . Yes, there is a grey zone if you are a new PR via Provincial Nominee as it might have some residential clause associated.

Hope it helps...

Thanks!
I am currently interviewing for jobs in Montreal, and am FSWO (landing in Vancouver in a few weeks). Did you have any issues applying for medical insurance, etc.? And does residency in Quebec affect the 3y requirement for citizenship?

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
I am currently interviewing for jobs in Montreal, and am FSWO (landing in Vancouver in a few weeks). Did you have any issues applying for medical insurance, etc.? And does residency in Quebec affect the 3y requirement for citizenship?
happy to see you here.
so you are landing soon! Best of luck with everything.

rk186024

Jun 11, 2018
Hi,

Did you get any answer to your question?

Hi,

can you help me understand if I have an express entry PR with province destination as Ontario but I have a job offer in Montreal - will there be any issues?
As long as you do your landing outside QC, you should be fine. I am an FSW EE PR, destination BC. Landed in ON, got a job in Montreal, QC. No issues. Timeline in signature.

Klakho

Jan 1, 2020
As long as you do your landing outside QC, you should be fine. I am an FSW EE PR, destination BC. Landed in ON, got a job in Montreal, QC. No issues. Timeline in signature.
But if I do the landing in Toronto, and then travel to Montreal the next day itself (I know I’m going there because I have a potential offer) - is that going to be a problem in the future?

But if I do the landing in Toronto, and then travel to Montreal the next day itself (I know I’m going there because I have a potential offer) - is that going to be a problem in the future?
In theory, no, should not be a problem. FWIW, I gave an Ontario address for PR Card Mailing at the time of landing. Your intention at landing must not appear to be that of moving to Quebec. Once landing is done, you have a right to live and work anywhere in Canada. A PR is a PR.

Klakho

Jan 1, 2020
In theory, no, should not be a problem. FWIW, I gave an Ontario address for PR Card Mailing at the time of landing. Your intention at landing must not appear to be that of moving to Quebec. Once landing is done, you have a right to live and work anywhere in Canada. A PR is a PR.
Thanks for your prompt responses. Just one last thing, so I’ll keep the potential job offer to myself and give a generic answer at the time of landing that I’m going to my friend’s place in Toronto and evaluate my options- would that suffice? My intention can change in a day too.

Also, I’m planning to book temp stay/train tickets and stuff in Montreal would that affect my landing?