+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LIVING IN QUEBEC AS A FSW

Thanks for your prompt responses. Just one last thing, so I’ll keep the potential job offer to myself and give a generic answer at the time of landing that I’m going to my friend’s place in Toronto and evaluate my options- would that suffice? My intention can change in a day too.

Also, I’m planning to book temp stay/train tickets and stuff in Montreal would that affect my landing?
Yes, that's a good approach - you don't even have to mention "evaluate my options". Don't answer more than what is asked :)
Example: in my landing, they never asked me a single thing about where I will live, etc.

If you book stay/tickets to Montreal in a scenario where you board your train right after landing, even that doesn't necessarily imply change of intentions to move :) You may be going just for tourism/meeting a friend. But yes, no need to advertise that either. CBSA will not ask about "Are you going somewhere else from here at the airport?" ;)

AKHR

Dec 23, 2017
@sid8tive You are living in Montréal! Interesting! :) As an FSW moving to QC, did you have any challenges getting QC (RAMQ) health insurance card? I understand that new residents have to live for 3 months before applying for one. I did my soft landing in Toronto in Sep-18 and returned to Dubai. I'll be relocating to Montréal in Mar-20 to establish permanent residence. I am getting mixed inputs re. the QC heath card bit.

@sid8tive You are living in Montréal! Interesting! :) As an FSW moving to QC, did you have any challenges getting QC (RAMQ) health insurance card? I understand that new residents have to live for 3 months before applying for one. I did my soft landing in Toronto in Sep-18 and returned to Dubai. I'll be relocating to Montréal in Mar-20 to establish permanent residence. I am getting mixed inputs re. the QC heath card bit.
No challenges of any kind. RAMQ saw my CoPR, and approved my Health card without any questions of any kind. Easy peasy. I recently even got my RAMQ renewed for another 6 years with no problems! You'll be fine - wish you good luck on the move!

baryonix

May 21, 2019
No challenges of any kind. RAMQ saw my CoPR and approved my Health card without any questions of any kind. Easy peasy. I recently even got my RAMQ renewed for another 6 years with no problems! You'll be fine - wish you good luck on the move!
Hey, I'd like your thoughts on my situation. Currently, I'm living outside of Quebec, but still in Canada. I will be creating an EE profile soon and it's very likely that I'll have an ITA ( i have more than enough CRS points). I don't intend to include the job offer in the EE profile, since it's not LMIA supported.

Now I also have a job offer from a company in Montreal, though the company allows remote working in the meantime due to COVID. So do you think I can still accept that offer and work from my province? Will that be an issue with CIC?

So hypothetically, if I get an ITA, how can the CIC officer tell if I have the intention to live outside/inside of Quebec?

Lazymon82

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hey, I'd like your thoughts on my situation. Currently, I'm living outside of Quebec, but still in Canada. I will be creating an EE profile soon and it's very likely that I'll have an ITA ( i have more than enough CRS points). I don't intend to include the job offer in the EE profile, since it's not LMIA supported.

Now I also have a job offer from a company in Montreal, though the company allows remote working in the meantime due to COVID. So do you think I can still accept that offer and work from my province? Will that be an issue with CIC?

So hypothetically, if I get an ITA, how can the CIC officer tell if I have the intention to live outside/inside of Quebec?
Even though your residential address is still ontario but your current work profile has to mention montreal somewhere i believe? That could be a problem IMO.

baryonix

May 21, 2019
Even though your residential address is still ontario but your current work profile has to mention montreal somewhere i believe? That could be a problem IMO.
Hmm, the company has many branches across Canada, but the team I'll be working with is only in Montreal. What if I specify in my document that I'm working remotely from Ontario?

Hmm, the company has many branches across Canada, but the team I'll be working with is only in Montreal. What if I specify in my document that I'm working remotely from Ontario?
Similar to what @Lazymon82 said, since you're already inside Canada, it can be tricky to prove intention. The whole 'land in another province and then later, if needed, move to QC' usually is a lot more legit when its either (a) reasonable timeline in terms of gap between living on PR outside of QC in Canada and moving to QC and/or (b) you lived outside of Canada after landing in a province that is not QC.

If it's a permanently remote position and that's mentioned in your offer letter, it may be ok? (and in that case you'd anyway have no need to move to QC so that should work in theory)

This is not legal advice, obviously :)