+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Ottawa and working for Quebec company?

navin3

Aug 16, 2020
Yea thats true, I was asking more from the point of view of OHIP how did you get that? Without having an ontario employer

Reactions: serjie06

zubairalimansoor

Feb 12, 2010
Yes, I had stayed in Montreal till end of August 2020. I moved to Toronto on September 2020 and applied for PR on October 26. Even I am nervous about the situation as I have a closed work permit and I switched teams internally. Even I want to switch jobs as I stayed in same company for 4 and half years. only time can answer all the questions. PR process with staying in Ontario and working for Quebec employers is being common and there is no exact answer for our situations.
Hi,

I wanted to ask , is it possible to live in Ontario while having work permit for Quebec ? If you can please explain the procedure as I am on closed work permit and doing job in Montreal but want to move to Ontario and then from there I want to apply for express entry. My employer is willing to help me.

Thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I wanted to ask , is it possible to live in Ontario while having work permit for Quebec ? If you can please explain the procedure as I am on closed work permit and doing job in Montreal but want to move to Ontario and then from there I want to apply for express entry. My employer is willing to help me.

Thanks,
Does your employer have an Ontario office?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yea thats true, I was asking more from the point of view of OHIP how did you get that? Without having an ontario employer
OHIP has to do with where you are a resident and tax resident. Without your employer having Ontario offices where you may transfer you may struggle to get CEC.

sri_e

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Hi Baryonix,

I find myself in an exactly similar situation like you. I am presently working for a company in Ontario but got an offer from Montreal to work remotely. Unfortunately, they don't have any other offices in Canada. I am worried if I started working for the new company it would affect my PR application. I have already submitted my PR application.
Hello dividedbyero360,

I am in the same situation.
  1. I moved from Quebec after graduation got my work permit and started working in Toronto from 2019
  2. I’m am full time employee received OHIP , G1 and applied CEC and AOR is on April 3rd 2021
  3. Current file status is criminality passed
  4. Now I’ve a good opportunity from a company from Gatineau ( full time employee)
  5. Should I consider it
    If yes ? Can I live in Ottawa and work for gatinue? Will that affects my current file ? Can I still enjoy benifits of ohip and go work for gatinue by car or bus from Ottawa ?
  6. Also please consider the interprovincial tax situation

7. Thanks in Advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello dividedbyero360,

I am in the same situation.
  1. I moved from Quebec after graduation got my work permit and started working in Toronto from 2019
  2. I’m am full time employee received OHIP , G1 and applied CEC and AOR is on April 3rd 2021
  3. Current file status is criminality passed
  4. Now I’ve a good opportunity from a company from Gatineau ( full time employee)
  5. Should I consider it
    If yes ? Can I live in Ottawa and work for gatinue? Will that affects my current file ? Can I still enjoy benifits of ohip and go work for gatinue by car or bus from Ottawa ?
  6. Also please consider the interprovincial tax situation

7. Thanks in Advance!
Lots of people do this and the reverse (work in Ottawa and live in Québec.) Residence is what determines... residence. Taxation and immigration and Ohip etc are determined by residence. There are some minor tax and other administrative issues but it is not rare and works reasonably well. You will be treated as a resident of Ontario.

sri_e

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Lots of people do this and the reverse (work in Ottawa and live in Québec.) Residence is what determines... residence. Taxation and immigration and Ohip etc are determined by residence. There are some minor tax and other administrative issues but it is not rare and works reasonably well. You will be treated as a resident of Ontario.
Thank you Armoured,
There are two issues that stressing me out.

My current file is in progress, I’ve to give response to the offer by next week.

if I accept it ,should I inform it to ircc?

will that rise any flags as it’s a Quebec province based?

man I somehow violating or raising unwanted conflict on “Intended to live outside Quebec “ ?

please suggest, thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you Armoured,
There are two issues that stressing me out.

My current file is in progress, I’ve to give response to the offer by next week.

if I accept it ,should I inform it to ircc?

will that rise any flags as it’s a Quebec province based?

man I somehow violating or raising unwanted conflict on “Intended to live outside Quebec “ ?

please suggest, thank you
Okay, so the part I am reasonably certain about: you are not violating anything by saying you intend to live outside quebec and taking a position that allows you to live in Ontario. Tens of thousands of people do this (maybe hundreds of thousands), and IRCC is familiar with it, and a very large proportion of those work for the federal government including IRCC - i.e. I woudl be very surprised if it raised any flags.

Now the part I do not know: I am not familiar (not at all) with the requirements of CEC and specific terms of that program, including such things as whether you are required to inform them of your offer of employment, or whether it is beneficial to processing of your file, etc. (And whether for example that means a government employee has to read your file and think and whether they are prone to errors). If there are any other requirements about your _employer_ as opposed to your residence being in Quebec, I'm not aware of them.

But overall if you plan to reside in Ottawa and you have a job offer in Gatineau - it's about as long a commute as walking across a bridge. You would be a resident of Ontario - period.

(It might be less credible or raise some questions if your job required your physical presence, continuously, in a lighthouse off Quaqtaq on the Hudson Strait, if there is such a thing. Ie a situation where 'residing' in Ontario while working at a specific location is physically and logistically impossible. Gatineau is a twin city with Ottawa and the situation common)

Reactions: sri_e

sri_e

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Okay, so the part I am reasonably certain about: you are not violating anything by saying you intend to live outside quebec and taking a position that allows you to live in Ontario. Tens of thousands of people do this (maybe hundreds of thousands), and IRCC is familiar with it, and a very large proportion of those work for the federal government including IRCC - i.e. I woudl be very surprised if it raised any flags.

Now the part I do not know: I am not familiar (not at all) with the requirements of CEC and specific terms of that program, including such things as whether you are required to inform them of your offer of employment, or whether it is beneficial to processing of your file, etc. (And whether for example that means a government employee has to read your file and think and whether they are prone to errors). If there are any other requirements about your _employer_ as opposed to your residence being in Quebec, I'm not aware of them.

But overall if you plan to reside in Ottawa and you have a job offer in Gatineau - it's about as long a commute as walking across a bridge. You would be a resident of Ontario - period.

(It might be less credible or raise some questions if your job required your physical presence, continuously, in a lighthouse off Quaqtaq on the Hudson Strait, if there is such a thing. Ie a situation where 'residing' in Ontario while working at a specific location is physically and logistically impossible. Gatineau is a twin city with Ottawa and the situation common)

Thank you for the detailed response.

yes my employer is expecting me to return to the office once things are normal.

so here are the complications.

1) as it’s around 6 months processing time and there are criminality passed as of now hope I get PR before things are normal so that I don’t have to update any addresses.

2) explain to my current employer my situation that I’ve to stay inOntario till I get my pr approved and then work in Ottawa or Gatineau.

I’ve to give my decision to my company by end of next week.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
2) explain to my current employer my situation that I’ve to stay inOntario till I get my pr approved and then work in Ottawa or Gatineau.
Again, not sure I understand - your employer's concern is where you work, not where you reside. Unless your stated plans to reside make it impossible to fulfill your duties, it's not their business (except for administrative details like your residency address for tax purposes).