+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Ottawa and working for Quebec company?

Feb 15, 2021
IMHO, Quebec's tax are high and for health card you have to pay $150 per month. You will not see a lot on paycheck, if it is about money.
Permanent Residency is a horrific situation.
I stayed in Quebec since 2014 came to study at university and 3 PGWP and 2 year employer specific work permit which is expiring.
This is my last chance.

Prioritize accordingly. Get your permanent residency. Then you can work freely.
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. Did you stay all these years in Quebec? In my case, I already moved to Ontario and applied for my PR in Feb this year. Now with this job offer that I have already accepted, I really nervous if I let it go it would be letting go of a great opportunity. But then as you said PR is most important at this moment.

sokke

Jun 11, 2020
Yes, I had stayed in Montreal till end of August 2020. I moved to Toronto on September 2020 and applied for PR on October 26. Even I am nervous about the situation as I have a closed work permit and I switched teams internally. Even I want to switch jobs as I stayed in same company for 4 and half years. only time can answer all the questions. PR process with staying in Ontario and working for Quebec employers is being common and there is no exact answer for our situations.

shaktisharma

Dec 31, 2019
Hi, I m wife have recently been shifted to Ontario from Quebec.
However, we are still working in Quebec due to COVID but payroll is in Ontario.
I am applying for PR in express entry under CEC.

In order to prove my intention to leave Quebec, I have everything. but one concern as my kid is still going to Quebec school under my SIN number.

will it create any issue in my application??

sayhitoarvind

Jan 4, 2018

In order to prove my intention to leave Quebec, I have everything. but one concern as my kid is still going to Quebec school under my SIN number.

If you got everything to prove your intention to reside outside of Quebec, it shouldn't be of any issue. Good luck with everything

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

How are you working in Quebec, your child is going to school in Quebec yet your payroll is going through Ontario? Until you actually move to Ontario and are working in Ontario you need to be paid through Quebec payroll.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IMHO, Quebec's tax are high and for health card you have to pay $150 per month. You will not see a lot on paycheck, if it is about money.
Permanent Residency is a horrific situation.
I stayed in Quebec since 2014 came to study at university and 3 PGWP and 2 year employer specific work permit which is expiring.
This is my last chance.

Prioritize accordingly. Get your permanent residency. Then you can work freely.
You pay $150 because more things are actually covered by the Quebec policies. No medications are covered by OHIP for example.

navin3

Aug 16, 2020
EMPLOYMENT LOCATION and RESIDENCY are completely different things!
There are people who work for a company in the US but are Canadian residents!!! There are people who have full time jobs in Alberta but they are considered Vancouver residents!!!
Please stop spreading false information!!!
If you are already a resident of Ottawa and your employment location is in Montreal you are still considered an Ontario resident and IRCC will treat your file as if you are already living in Ontario. I have colleges who work in Montreal but pay taxes to Ontario!
I am in the same situation myself! I have residency in Ottawa and my work is in Montreal! Guess what? I already got my PR and landed... Even when I applied for OHIP they said you can live here and work anywhere in Canada
Hey did you apply for ohip before getting your PR. I am in the same situation

navin3

Aug 16, 2020
Same here, I have applied for PR under CEC, AOR OCTOBER 26.
I have a closed work permit with work location as Montreal. Right now due to covid, working from Toronto. I have Ontario DL, health card and staying in Toronto.
Luckily it's MNC, I got my experience letter and pay stubs changed to Ontario.
plus my work permit is expiring on May 26,2021
I have applied for BOWP via Toronto.
My employer wants to extend work permit based of Montreal location. Don't know what is gonna happen
How did you get ohip while working for a non-Ontario employer

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you got everything to prove your intention to reside outside of Quebec, it shouldn't be of any issue. Good luck with everything

How exactly have you been shifted? If you remain working for the same organization and you remain working from Quebec I'm not sure how processing payroll is justified and how payroll alone indicates intent. To guarantee approval you need to move to Ontario and your child needs to change schools. You can update IRCC once you move if you want to move at the end of the school year.

sokke

Jun 11, 2020
How did you get ohip while working for a non-Ontario employer
@canuck78 I didn't have any issues in getting it. I had my Toronto lease document for address proof. That's all they needed. The officer checked my work permit and I explained the situation and Ohip and dl was issued.