+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Ottawa and working for Quebec company?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the same situation rented an apartment effective July 1st. employer provided a letter stating that I will be working remote (which am doing already) from Ontario. but employer says my pay stubs stays the same (Quebec) and said I can file taxes as Ontario resident later - they don't change since we don't have any company in Ontario.

I am confused a bit on that, I was in states quite a while it's very different there - employer can run payroll as per our residential address.

So I got two explanations in mind to include in LOE
1. future lease in Ontario and applying for jobs in non Quebec and resign after PR approval , and french.
2. future lease in Ontario and working remote for Quebec company. attaching proofs and employer letter stating ON residence.

what do you guys think ? which one would be better ? need to submit docs in a week. invitation about to expire.
There is no way to get approved unless you set up your own consulting business in Ontario and bill your employer for your consulting work. The company may not agree to that and you’ll lose any benefit flag. You can’t keep working for the Quebec company even if you are working remotely in Ontario. You are still working in Quebec but are doing your work remotely from home.

CanadaVisa45

Feb 1, 2019
I am on closed work permit, cannot leave my job or go for consulting. but for EE we need to provide evidence reflects settlement out of Quebec province right ? work and Residency are quite different I guess ? pls correct me if I wrong

schi0301

Jul 23, 2019
I am in the same situation rented an apartment effective July 1st. employer provided a letter stating that I will be working remote (which am doing already) from Ontario. but employer says my pay stubs stays the same (Quebec) and said I can file taxes as Ontario resident later - they don't change since we don't have any company in Ontario.

I am confused a bit on that, I was in states quite a while it's very different there - employer can run payroll as per our residential address.

1. future lease in Ontario and applying for jobs in non Quebec and resign after PR approval , and french.
2. future lease in Ontario and working remote for Quebec company. attaching proofs and employer letter stating ON residence.

what do you guys think ? which one would be better ? need to submit docs in a week. invitation about to expire.

it's better you move before submit your LOE. Also, attach ON drive permit.

CanadaVisa45

Feb 1, 2019

it's better you move before submit your LOE. Also, attach ON drive permit.
Thank you so much for the reply,

I am thinking I can update DL, ON insurance, rental receipts , Hydro Bills once I receive a query.

what proofs can I show which supports that I am not at all interested to return to Quebec ?, in general I really don't want to settle down in Quebec though.

I do have one now

French and all of them speak french at work location, only few can make it both.

any insight would be helpful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I am thinking I can update DL, ON insurance, rental receipts , Hydro Bills once I receive a query.

what proofs can I show which supports that I am not at all interested to return to Quebec ?, in general I really don't want to settle down in Quebec though.

I do have one now

French and all of them speak french at work location, only few can make it both.

It will be up to the person reviewing the file whether working for your Quebec employer is allowed

baryonix

May 21, 2019

I do have one now

Hey, how does your situation turn out? I am in the same boat. I have not created an EE profile yet but I will soon and will likely get an ITA (i have more than enough points).

At the same time, I have an offer from a Montreal company. They have branches in other parts of Canada too but the main team I'm working with is in Montreal. In the meantime, due to COVID, I can work remotely from another province. I am hesitating whether I should accept that job offer...

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020

I do have one now

How did your case go? Would you please update?
Thanks

nikhil96widhani

Oct 28, 2020
EMPLOYMENT LOCATION and RESIDENCY are completely different things!
There are people who work for a company in the US but are Canadian residents!!! There are people who have full time jobs in Alberta but they are considered Vancouver residents!!!
Please stop spreading false information!!!
If you are already a resident of Ottawa and your employment location is in Montreal you are still considered an Ontario resident and IRCC will treat your file as if you are already living in Ontario. I have colleges who work in Montreal but pay taxes to Ontario!
I am in the same situation myself! I have residency in Ottawa and my work is in Montreal! Guess what? I already got my PR and landed... Even when I applied for OHIP they said you can live here and work anywhere in Canada
Hi i have a question. I have open work permit and i live in ottawa but i work in Gatineau. I have the letter from employer saying my term lasts more than 6 months. Will i be eligible for OHIP in my case because eligibllity says live and work for an Ontario employer!
Kindly advice me if you have any information

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi i have a question. I have open work permit and i live in ottawa but i work in Gatineau. I have the letter from employer saying my term lasts more than 6 months. Will i be eligible for OHIP in my case because eligibllity says live and work for an Ontario employer!
Kindly advice me if you have any information
Yes if you have proof that the work will be full-time and you will be working for at least 6 more months. You need to bring proof that you are living in Ottawa like a lease and mail with your name and address from something like a utility company. Info should be online.

Feb 15, 2021

Hi,

I am in a similar situation as you. How did it turn out for you? Can I work for a Montreal based company remotely while staying in Ontario? I have already submitted my PR though.

sokke

Jun 11, 2020
Hi,

I am in a similar situation as you. How did it turn out for you? Can I work for a Montreal based company remotely while staying in Ontario? I have already submitted my PR though.
Same here, I have applied for PR under CEC, AOR OCTOBER 26.
I have a closed work permit with work location as Montreal. Right now due to covid, working from Toronto. I have Ontario DL, health card and staying in Toronto.
Luckily it's MNC, I got my experience letter and pay stubs changed to Ontario.
plus my work permit is expiring on May 26,2021
I have applied for BOWP via Toronto.
My employer wants to extend work permit based of Montreal location. Don't know what is gonna happen

Feb 15, 2021
Hey, how does your situation turn out? I am in the same boat. I have not created an EE profile yet but I will soon and will likely get an ITA (i have more than enough points).

At the same time, I have an offer from a Montreal company. They have branches in other parts of Canada too but the main team I'm working with is in Montreal. In the meantime, due to COVID, I can work remotely from another province. I am hesitating whether I should accept that job offer...
Hi Baryonix,

I find myself in an exactly similar situation like you. I am presently working for a company in Ontario but got an offer from Montreal to work remotely. Unfortunately, they don't have any other offices in Canada. I am worried if I started working for the new company it would affect my PR application. I have already submitted my PR application.

Reactions: sri_e
Feb 15, 2021
Same here, I have applied for PR under CEC, AOR OCTOBER 26.
I have a closed work permit with work location as Montreal. Right now due to covid, working from Toronto. I have Ontario DL, health card and staying in Toronto.
Luckily it's MNC, I got my experience letter and pay stubs changed to Ontario.
plus my work permit is expiring on May 26,2021
I have applied for BOWP via Toronto.
My employer wants to extend work permit based of Montreal location. Don't know what is gonna happen
I wish you all the best! When I contacted the IRCC helpline, a lady told me not to, but when I talked to a lawyer here in Ontario he said there is no issue. Now I really confused and the thing is I am already working for a company in Ontario, but the Montreal job is the one that I want to work in.

sokke

Jun 11, 2020
I wish you all the best! When I contacted the IRCC helpline, a lady told me not to, but when I talked to a lawyer here in Ontario he said there is no issue. Now I really confused and the thing is I am already working for a company in Ontario, but the Montreal job is the one that I want to work in.
IMHO, Quebec's tax are high and for health card you have to pay $150 per month. You will not see a lot on paycheck, if it is about money.
Permanent Residency is a horrific situation.
I stayed in Quebec since 2014 came to study at university and 3 PGWP and 2 year employer specific work permit which is expiring.
This is my last chance.

Prioritize accordingly. Get your permanent residency. Then you can work freely.