+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in LA with Canadian Husband=Residency in Canada?

koala19

Sep 13, 2012
I am a Malaysian and got my PR in 25 November 2008. Since then, I lived in Vancouver, Canada. On 28 August, 2011, we moved here temporary to Los Angeles because my husband(Canadian)had a job offer. We have been living here for a year now. If I use the residence calculator for citizenship and assume the date of application is the day I officially left the border (stamped on TD/B1 visa), my basic residence will be slightly more than 1000 days (3 months short from 1095).

I would like to know:
1. The days while I am living here with him counts as my residency in Canada?
2. Expiring on November 2013, when is the best time to renew my PR?
3. While waiting for the renewal, can I travel outside the US or Canada?

Thanks,

Koala

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Days spent outside of Canada with a citizen spouse only count towards retaining your PR status.

For citizenship, you must actually / physically live in Canada for 1095 days in the last four years to qualify to apply. Your days spent outside of Canada cannot be counted.

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
scylla is correct. Citizenship application vs. PR status are two different things.

scylla said:
Days spent outside of Canada with a citizen spouse only count towards retaining your PR status.

For citizenship, you must actually / physically live in Canada for 1095 days in the last four years to qualify to apply. Your days spent outside of Canada cannot be counted.

axel_sil

Jul 26, 2012
koala19 said:
2. Expiring on November 2013, when is the best time to renew my PR?
I renewed, and would recommend to everyone to start renewing around and at least 6 months before expiration.

You can see the PR card processing times on CIC web site, I am not allowed to post links but it's easy to find.

Current processing time is noted as approx 90 days. But then have in mind that it takes some time to complete the application (which is not simple, you have to do the list of all your absences etc), mail it (best to pay additional $$ for tracking number to avoid stress), and also the processing time can vary. And also have in mind that when you get approved it takes additional time from the point when you get the letter to the actual pick-up date for the new card at CIC office (you will return the old card on the same occasion). So to be safe, I started mine 6 months before exp. and everything was done 1.5 months before exp.