+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Canada but learning in Europe. Is it possible?

Svetlanka

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks,

We (PR) are planning to move back to Canada in late September / beginning of October. Our children (11 and 15 years old) are currently enrolled in schools in our country (in Europe). Due to COVID-19 situation the school year 2020/2021 in our country will be distance learning. As we will arrive in New Brunswick (Moncton) after the start of the new school year I would like my children to continue their distance education from Canada in their current schools, till the end of the school year.
Do you know if that is possible? I mean if it will be legally in the eye of autorities?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will need to confirm with the European schools. My son's classmate got stuck in Iran after traveling to that country in the winter vacation, had to continue the school second term in BC through distance learning despite the difference in time zones. I am thinking this would continue in the upcoming new school year.

Svetlanka

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for reply.
The question is more like if the Canadian authorities will allow it? According to law, every child between 5 and 18 must attend to school and I am wondering if they will find acceptable if the school is outside Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Did you check with the local school authority in Moncton, New Brunswick ? You can always get a view on a forum but does not beat an official position and just because good for someone else doesnt mean good for all

Svetlanka

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you check with the local school authority in Moncton, New Brunswick ? You can always get a view on a forum but does not beat an official position and just because good for someone else doesnt mean good for all
Yes, I sent them email, still waiting for answer. It is not need to be only one or another :) Receiving information from the primary source is awlays the right choise but if I can get advice from someone who has already passed this way I will use the chance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would imagine your home country will have a bigger issue with your children attending for the entire school year. It Is not uncommon for children to join a Canadian school after the school year starts. September/October is the beginning of the school year and they will not have missed that much. Socialization is a big part of schooling for young people. Not making friends In Canada and watching their classmates do stuff from a distance is likely to be more harmful than starting school a month late. Your children will also have to adjust to the Canadian school system one year later. Would really consider registering your children in Canadian school to make their adjustment to Canada easier but if you continue the online school you are essentially asking to homeschool your children so will have to meet the same conditions as other homeschoolers. How will you deal with the time difference if school is live? Your children will need to study in the middle of the night.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would imagine your home country will have a bigger issue with your children attending for the entire school year. It Is not uncommon for children to join a Canadian school after the school year starts. September/October is the beginning of the school year and they will not have missed that much. Socialization is a big part of schooling for young people. Not making friends In Canada and watching their classmates do stuff from a distance is likely to be more harmful than starting school a month late. Your children will also have to adjust to the Canadian school system one year later. Would really consider registering your children in Canadian school to make their adjustment to Canada easier but if you continue the online school you are essentially asking to homeschool your children so will have to meet the same conditions as other homeschoolers. How will you deal with the time difference if school is live? Your children will need to study in the middle of the night.
What's the problem with home school? One of my neigbors had been doing this for years. I don't see any harm. The homeschool kid socialize with everyone (including other children) in the neigborhood.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If were my kids I would want them to get into the Canadian school system as soon as possible especially the 15 year old. Kids are as sure everyone knows adaptable and they have to make the break from Europe Sometime so why delay when in fact it could possibly even put them behind. Home schooling a whole different thing deciding I guess on continuing with a European curriculum or Canadian Biased. This in addition to time zone differences for any interactive work as well as the social side of school in a new country.

Nobody’s business here really and don’t have to answer but what do the kids want versus what the parents think they want, especially the 15 year old, they hopefully have a say.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What's the problem with home school? One of my neigbors had been doing this for years. I don't see any harm. The homeschool kid socialize with everyone (including other children) in the neigborhood.
Children don’t necessarily hang out on the block and meet other children especially at 15. Ne er criticized home schooling. Most homeschoolers join a local homeschooling groups to do activities and field trips to allow their children to make friends and socialize. Children who are homeschooled tend to be enrolled in extra curricular activities during evenings and/or weekends so they get the socialization and meet people whether it is joining a sport or other activity. Homeschooling is much harder then actually sending your children to school.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Children don’t necessarily hang out on the block and meet other children especially at 15. Ne er criticized home schooling. Most homeschoolers join a local homeschooling groups to do activities and field trips to allow their children to make friends and socialize. Children who are homeschooled tend to be enrolled in extra curricular activities during evenings and/or weekends so they get the socialization and meet people whether it is joining a sport or other activity. Homeschooling is much harder then actually sending your children to school.
Why is homeschooling much harder than sending children to school? Children who are not homeschooled can also be enrolled in extra curricular activities during evenings and/or weekends so they get the socialization and meet people whether it is joining a sport or other activity. Non homeschoolers can also join a local group to do activities and field trips to allow them to make friends and socialize.

Last edited: