+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Canada as a PR and working for a foreign employer without a contract

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
So I am a PR resident and I work for a foreign employer with no contract. Basically they send me my salary to my Canadian USD bank account every month.
  1. Is there a minimum of monthly/yearly wage that I have to pass in order to be eligible to pay taxes? Or in other words, do I get to not pay taxes if I earn less than a certain amount?
  2. Either way, when I get to file my taxes, how do I do it given that I don't have a contract with my employer? How much taxes would I pay? (this is my only source of income).
  3. If I were to send money to myself from a bank account in another country, would I have to pay taxes on that money too?
  4. Lastly, am I eligible for any potential benefits?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
So I am a PR resident and I work for a foreign employer with no contract. Basically they send me my salary to my Canadian USD bank account every month.
  1. Is there a minimum of monthly/yearly wage that I have to pass in order to be eligible to pay taxes? Or in other words, do I get to not pay taxes if I earn less than a certain amount?
  2. Either way, when I get to file my taxes, how do I do it given that I don't have a contract with my employer? How much taxes would I pay? (this is my only source of income).
  3. If I were to send money to myself from a bank account in another country, would I have to pay taxes on that money too?
These are usually questions I would know the answers to BEFORE I start a job..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Once you are earning $14,398 or more annually (this is income from all sources worldwide) you are required to file taxes in Canada.
2. You would be required to file your taxes in Canada if you have annual income that is at or above the amount stated in question #1. The fact you don't have a contract with your employer is irrelevant to filing taxes in Canada. How much you pay in taxes will depend on how much you earn plus a number of other factors which can impact tax credits.
3. Yes. You must file taxes on your worldwide income in Canada.
4. You need to ask your employer about any employer benefits. I assume you are asking about employer benefits and not something else.

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
1. Once you are earning $14,398 or more annually (this is income from all sources worldwide) you are required to file taxes in Canada.
2. You would be required to file your taxes in Canada if you have annual income that is at or above the amount stated in question #1. The fact you don't have a contract with your employer is irrelevant to filing taxes in Canada. How much you pay in taxes will depend on how much you earn plus a number of other factors which can impact tax credits.
3. Yes. You must file taxes on your worldwide income in Canada.
4. You need to ask your employer about any employer benefits. I assume you are asking about employer benefits and not something else.
3. Wouldn't sending myself money count as a gift or basically "not income"?
4. I was talking about benefits from the government.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What benefits are you talking about? If you make so much money, and taxes are not deducted from your pay check then you will owe provincial and federal taxes on that income.

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
What benefits are you talking about? If you make so much money, and taxes are not deducted from your pay check then you will owe provincial and federal taxes on that income.
No, I am talking about after paying taxes. Would I be eligible for anything whether it's benefits or refund on some taxes?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
3. I don't understand this question. If your employer is paying you, then regardless of where they money is being deposited, you must declare this in your Canadian taxes. Otherwise you are breaking the law.
4. You'll qualify for most normal Canadian benefits however not employment insurance since you aren't working for an employer in Canada. None of us can tell you whether you will qualify for a tax refund.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No, I am talking about after paying taxes. Would I be eligible for anything whether it's benefits or refund on some taxes?
If you owe the government because you don’t pay taxes on your income then you will not get a refund. Any “benefits” are dependant on your income and paying your taxes on that income. Do you have children? Are you disabled? Are you low income? All these factor in to the benefits you may receive.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/taxes/child-and-family-benefits.html

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
3. I don't understand this question. If your employer is paying you, then regardless of where they money is being deposited, you must declare this in your Canadian taxes. Otherwise you are breaking the law.
4. You'll qualify for most normal Canadian benefits however not employment insurance since you aren't working for an employer in Canada. None of us can tell you whether you will qualify for a tax refund.
3. No the money wouldn't be from my employer. It's savings money that I have in my home country.