+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in US and work in Canada after Canadian Citizenship

anky2015

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Hi guys.
I hope everyone is doing fine. I have a query regarding working in Canada and live across the border in US
I have got my citizenship in Canada and I was wondering that if its possible to still work in Canada but live in US since I have family just across the border in US in Niagara falls. I was looking to buy a house also in US if it's possible.
Just wondering what kind of visa would I need to do that. I checked and my employment doesn't come under the occupations list in TN visa. So I cant apply for that. So, Can I just live in US on a visitor visa and buy a home over there and come everyday to Canada to work?

Thanks

Looking forward to get some inputs

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Hi guys.
I hope everyone is doing fine. I have a query regarding working in Canada and live across the border in US
I have got my citizenship in Canada and I was wondering that if its possible to still work in Canada but live in US since I have family just across the border in US in Niagara falls. I was looking to buy a house also in US if it's possible.
Just wondering what kind of visa would I need to do that. I checked and my employment doesn't come under the occupations list in TN visa. So I cant apply for that. So, Can I just live in US on a visitor visa and buy a home over there and come everyday to Canada to work?

Thanks

Visitor status would allow you to be there for up to 6 months out of a year only regardless of whether you are a Canadian or a Peruvian. Not an option IMO

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys.

Thanks

No - you definitely cannot do this with visitor status. You would need a green card or a TN (requires a US employer) or something like that.

ZZDown

Sep 6, 2017
Hi guys.

Thanks

There are a few extra ways that can let you stay in the US long term as a Canadian, one is getting a TN visa, which is exclusive for NAFTA, but you need a legitimate employer and a corresponding job from a range of professions. Another option would be investing in a US business 100k-200k, like in a local cafe or laundry or a hotel, etc. and actually run it - look this one up on reddit, and it requires its own special visa too although can be not too difficult to get.

Reactions: vishakha

Amanbaanga

Jul 21, 2017
The best thing would be to get a E-2 by investing around $200k USD. you could invest less also but your chances of getting approved are slim.