Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
Hello. I am working on my app and have worked mostly for contract companies teaching ESL online . There is a place to show "self employment" on the app and my tax accountant says I'm self-employed as I am a contract employee. It is okay to say self-employed then add a letter of explanation explaining that I worked for several different companies during my 5 year period as a self-employed contract worker?

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hello. I am working on my app and have worked mostly for contract companies teaching ESL online . There is a place to show "self employment" on the app and my tax accountant says I'm self-employed as I am a contract employee. It is okay to say self-employed then add a letter of explanation explaining that I worked for several different companies during my 5 year period as a self-employed contract worker?
Yes, it's perfectly fine. Just remember to file taxes and keep your employment records. They asked me for my self-employment records. I sent them pay statements.

Reactions: cindyestteacher

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
Thank you. All I have for those jobs are my bank statements that show the pay from them. That will have to do..I also paid taxes on those jobs as well. Do you feel like this process is less stressful than getting PR? I was quite stressed during the PR process just because the paperwork was quite extensive and it was all new to me.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you. All I have for those jobs are my bank statements that show the pay from them. That will have to do..I also paid taxes on those jobs as well. Do you feel like this process is less stressful than getting PR? I was quite stressed during the PR process just because the paperwork was quite extensive and it was all new to me.
The documentation is less but the patience required is more than PR. That causes stress as you don't know for months at stretch what's happening with your application. If you lucky process can complete in 6 months else may take years too.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Alrhoi
Although there are no employment requirements as such, stable regular employment helps to establish proof of residency in Canada, and so self-employment (especially as a consultant) is a red flag for the IRCC, and could lead to a lengthier processing time. There's nothing you can do about it, other than to be honest in your application.

Reactions: johnyrose

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
Alrhoi

Although there are no employment requirements as such, stable regular employment helps to establish proof of residency in Canada, and so self-employment (especially as a consultant) is a red flag for the IRCC, and could lead to a lengthier processing time. There's nothing you can do about it, other than to be honest in your application.
Agreed. Although I am not self-employed but read in the forum that apparently self-employed applicants residence requirements are extremely carefully assessed which leads to additional document requests.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Agreed. Although I am not self-employed but read in the forum that apparently self-employed applicants residence requirements are extremely carefully assessed which leads to additional document requests.
Yes, I can vouch for this. I've always been a contract employee (self employed by own business). What made my case worse was frequent travel, even though I had documented all travel.

Reactions: Dreamlad

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
A few pointers. I can say these as I'm a 40 month veteran from app to oath!

1. Be patient & don't lose sleep & don't stress out. You have ZERO control / influence on the process. The only thing that not being a citizen prevents you from doing is voting and applying for certain jobs. No election is on the cards for the moment so that leaves the job part only. You are free to travel as you see fit.
2. Do not check status of application every day. You will receive email updates when things are moving. It's like watching paint dry!
3. Documentation SHOULD be complete - you ONLY have control over filling the application, meeting language requirements and RO only. The others involve third party agencies within the government who will move at their own speed.
4. Being self employed or unemployed is not a 'crime' which you will be penalized for. Just make sure that the evidence is in place and can be cross referenced.
5. You are the best judge whether your application could be classified as non-routine, therefore, plan as such.
6. Avoid legal issues at ANY cost. Anything that could get you into trouble with law enforcement is not a great idea.

hesh_

Jan 30, 2024
Hey there, do you mind sharing how your application went? Thanks

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
Yes, it's perfectly fine. Just remember to file taxes and keep your employment records. They asked me for my self-employment records. I sent them pay statements.
Should I send them statements with my application?