Life After Citizenship?

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
You might be wondering, what is this for? Well, let me tell you. :p :p

Let's have a random off-topic conversation. Tell me your story:

• How did you celebrate?
  • What was your first travel destination?
  • When did you stop looking at that certificate?
  • What did you do with your cut-up PR card? (I am going to frame mine)
I want us to stay in this forum and help others even after we are done with IRCC. This place feels like social media to me. I log in daily to check in and see the good news and stuff, so I do not plan on leaving just yet.

I cannot wait for June 22, 2023, to take that oath, sing that anthem, and finally say, "I am CANADIAN!" But I really cannot wait to also Vote!!!!

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014

• How did you celebrate?
I want us to stay in this forum and help others even after we are done with IRCC. This place feels like social media to me. I log in daily to check in and see the good news and stuff, so I do not plan on leaving just yet.

I cannot wait for June 22, 2023, to take that oath, sing that anthem, and finally say, "I am CANADIAN!" But I really cannot wait to also Vote!!!!

When my family became citizens, we went out for a celebratory dinner even though I did not take oath with them. They made countless jokes about me not being one of them. Got access to the Canoo app which gave access to lots of parks etc for free. Used one of those freebies and then covid happened so the rest of the freebies went to waste. It took the next two years of Covid for me to become a citizen. Again a celebratory dinner, even though I felt a bit underwhelmed with the virtual oath. It lacked the pomp and ceremony of the in-person event. It was a big day so would have wanted an in-person oath, but I was happy it got done.

It felt a bit odd, surrendering our Indian passports and applying for a visa to visit family. US, of course, was the first trip out to see extended family. Our US visas had expired before we became citizens. I'm not too possessive about the cut up PR card. I have something better to frame now :)

Don't know if your country permits dual citizenship. It may not feel that different if you are a dual citizen because you are not giving up something you grew up with. For Indians, you have to give up your citizenship to be Canadian. It hits different.

Congratulations on getting your oath!

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other

• How did you celebrate?

I have not got my oath yet but yes I am just overall excited because once done I will be able to travel visa free to the countries that has been on my wish list. But at the same time I will be sad too because I would have to give up my Indian passport that has been with me from such a long period of time. I really wished India allowed dual citizenship.

ceejay132

Feb 1, 2020
When my family became citizens, we went out for a celebratory dinner even though I did not take oath with them. They made countless jokes about me not being one of them. Got access to the Canoo app which gave access to lots of parks etc for free. Used one of those freebies and then covid happened so the rest of the freebies went to waste. It took the next two years of Covid for me to become a citizen. Again a celebratory dinner, even though I felt a bit underwhelmed with the virtual oath. It lacked the pomp and ceremony of the in-person event. It was a big day so would have wanted an in-person oath, but I was happy it got done.

It felt a bit odd, surrendering our Indian passports and applying for a visa to visit family. US, of course, was the first trip out to see extended family. Our US visas had expired before we became citizens. I'm not too possessive about the cut up PR card. I have something better to frame now :)

Don't know if your country permits dual citizenship. It may not feel that different if you are a dual citizen because you are not giving up something you grew up with. For Indians, you have to give up your citizenship to be Canadian. It hits different.

Congratulations on getting your oath!
Oh wow. I'm just knowing that about India and it's dual citizenship. Congrats on being Canadian. We shall join u soon!

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
On May 25, 2023, I had my online oath ceremony, officially becoming a Canadian citizen. My wife, a born Canadian citizen, and I celebrated this momentous occasion by going out for a special dinner. To ensure I received my citizenship certificate, I had informed my friendly mailman about it, and he kindly handed me the brown envelope in person, just three business days later.

As soon as I received my certificate, I wasted no time and headed straight to the Scarborough passport office to apply for my Canadian passport. The excitement of holding this symbol of my new citizenship was indescribable. After a mere two weeks, my passport was ready, and I couldn't resist opening it multiple times, relishing in the joy of finally being able to call myself a Canadian. My journey to citizenship had been a long one, beginning as an undergrad student and culminating with this wonderful milestone as I approached my 30th birthday.

One of the first perks of my newfound citizenship was the seamless travel experience. During my trip to Italy, I felt proud and grateful to be able to use the expedited lines for passport holders from select countries like the UK, US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the EU. However, this privilege also made me reflect on the inequalities faced by travelers from other nations, who were directed to different lines based solely on their nationalities. It was a reminder of the global divide that exists and left me pondering the need for more equitable treatment.

Despite becoming a Canadian citizen, I still had to navigate the process of obtaining a visa stamp from my birth country in my new Canadian passport, even though I was allowed to have dual citizenship. The bureaucracy involved in such matters seemed unnecessary and confusing.

Overall, this journey to Canadian citizenship has had a profound impact on me. I find myself feeling more relaxed and at ease, knowing I no longer have to constantly check my application portal. Canada has become my beloved home, and I cherish the sense of belonging and pride that comes with being a citizen of this great nation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Despite becoming a Canadian citizen, I still had to navigate the process of obtaining a visa stamp from my birth country in my new Canadian passport, even though I was allowed to have dual citizenship. The bureaucracy involved in such matters seemed unnecessary and confusing.

Overall, this journey to Canadian citizenship has had a profound impact on me. I find myself feeling more relaxed and at ease, knowing I no longer have to constantly check my application portal. Canada has become my beloved home, and I cherish the sense of belonging and pride that comes with being a citizen of this great nation.
Sincere congratulations and it is touching to read your words of appreciation.

Honest question: why did you need a visa for your birth country? Wouldn't/couldn't you just travel on the passport you have from that country?

For a lot of countries (most countries I'm aware of), it's not only easier to enter on passport if you have it, but required, i.e. law states that if you are a citizen you must identify/present yourself as a citizen on entry - usually held to mean enter using that passport.

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
Sincere congratulations and it is touching to read your words of appreciation.

Honest question: why did you need a visa for your birth country? Wouldn't/couldn't you just travel on the passport you have from that country?

For a lot of countries (most countries I'm aware of), it's not only easier to enter on passport if you have it, but required, i.e. law states that if you are a citizen you must identify/present yourself as a citizen on entry - usually held to mean enter using that passport.
Yeah makes no sense right - so the issue is if I enter my birth country with the birth country passport, I won't be able to leave my birth country with a Canadian Passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah makes no sense right - so the issue is if I enter my birth country with the birth country passport, I won't be able to leave my birth country with a Canadian Passport.
So why can't you leave your birth country with your birth country passport?

If it's to get on a plane, it's pretty simple - you show the Canadian passport to the airline, and the birth country passport at passport control.

It's not unusual to have dual citizenship in this day and age, and neither airline personnel nor passport control officers would be surprised by it (except of course where dual citizenship is forbidden).

Last edited:

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A

If it's to get on a plane, it's pretty simple - you show the Canadian passport to the airline, and the birth country passport at passport control.

It's not unusual to have dual citizenship in this day and age, and neither airline personnel nor passport control officers would be surprised by it (except of course where dual citizenship is forbidden).
I am not sure why we can't do that to be honest but I am sure everyone I know from my birth country who are canadians have a visa stamp.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019

I don't think it works that way. If it is a country that requires visa to enter Canada, emigration will want to see a valid visa. Which being a Canadian citizen, one cannot obtain.

Reactions: Minister D

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't think it works that way. If it is a country that requires visa to enter Canada, emigration will want to see a valid visa. Which being a Canadian citizen, one cannot obtain.
It works that way for every country of which I am aware (from personal experience due to travel and work, a fair number).

Job of passport control on departure (for countries that have it) is to make sure the person departing was in the country legally and allowed to leave the country. They do not bear responsibility for the person getting in wherever they are travelling.* (Airlines do which is why they check).

If passport control DID control for that - anyone departing could simply book a ticket to the next country over (or some other) that does not require a visa for that nationality. Tell them you're travelling there.

*I'm sure there are one or two regimes that do police this - like North Korea or the Soviet Union at certain periods did in past - but those countries also don't/didn't approve of dual citizenship much.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
It works that way for every country of which I am aware (from personal experience due to travel and work, a fair number).

Job of passport control on departure (for countries that have it) is to make sure the person departing was in the country legally and allowed to leave the country. They do not bear responsibility for the person getting in wherever they are travelling.* (Airlines do which is why they check).

If passport control DID control for that - anyone departing could simply book a ticket to the next country over (or some other) that does not require a visa for that nationality. Tell them you're travelling there.

*I'm sure there are one or two regimes that do police this - like North Korea or the Soviet Union at certain periods did in past - but those countries also don't/didn't approve of dual citizenship much.
Maybe you are right, for countries that allow dual citizenship it doesn't make sense to do such a check.

Reactions: armoured