+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Level of Education in Express Entry

Siva_pv

Nov 22, 2017
Hi,

The ECA has given a Canadian Equivalency Summary as "Bachelor's degree (four years) and postgraduate diploma (one year)". So, what should I choose as my Level of Education in Express Entry Application?

Options as given in EE application:
1 None, or less than secondary
2.Secondary diploma (high school graduation)
3.1-year program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institutes
4.2-year program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institutes
5. Bachelor's degree OR a 3 or more year program at a uinversity college, trade or technical school or other institutes
6. Master's degree or professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession
7.Doctoral level university degree (PhD)

Reactions: RT7

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hi,

The ECA has given a Canadian Equivalency Summary as "Bachelor's degree (four years) and postgraduate diploma (one year)". So, what should I choose as my Level of Education in Express Entry Application?

Options as given in EE application:
1 None, or less than secondary
2.Secondary diploma (high school graduation)
3.1-year program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institutes
4.2-year program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institutes
5. Bachelor's degree OR a 3 or more year program at a uinversity college, trade or technical school or other institutes
6. Master's degree or professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession
7.Doctoral level university degree (PhD)
When you fill up questionnaire for FSW eligibility for your level of education would be "Two or more certificates diplomas or degrees one must be for a program of three or more years".

After that if you are eligible you will be able to create Express Entry profile. On that stage you have to create two separate fields for your two credentials.

For your bachelors degree, level of education would be your actual level of education "Bachelor's degree OR a 3 or more year program at a university college, trade or technical school or other institutes". Then you have this following question where you have to choose level of education according to your ECA report-
Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. You must have the results of an ECA report to answer the question. Answer to this question again would be "Bachelor's degree OR a 3 or more year program at a university college, trade or technical school or other institutes"

In the second field you should enter your second credential. If it is a masters degree and ECA states as post graduate diploma then do the following-
Answer all the questions regarding field of study, duration, institute name, completed academic years and level of credential according to the actual details. after that fill all the questions regarding ECA and answer the following question according to the ECA report-
Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. You must have the results of an ECA report to answer the question. Answer to this question would be "1-year program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institutes"

Submit your profile you will be awarded points for "Two or more certificates diplomas or degrees one must be for a program of three or more years".

Hope it helps, Good Luck!

Siva_pv

Nov 22, 2017
When you fill up questionnaire for FSW eligibility for your level of education would be "Two or more certificates diplomas or degrees one must be for a program of three or more years".

After that if you are eligible you will be able to create Express Entry profile. On that stage you have to create two separate fields for your two credentials.

For your bachelors degree, level of education would be your actual level of education "Bachelor's degree OR a 3 or more year program at a university college, trade or technical school or other institutes". Then you have this following question where you have to choose level of education according to your ECA report-
Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. You must have the results of an ECA report to answer the question. Answer to this question again would be "Bachelor's degree OR a 3 or more year program at a university college, trade or technical school or other institutes"

In the second field you should enter your second credential. If it is a masters degree and ECA states as post graduate diploma then do the following-
Answer all the questions regarding field of study, duration, institute name, completed academic years and level of credential according to the actual details. after that fill all the questions regarding ECA and answer the following question according to the ECA report-
Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. You must have the results of an ECA report to answer the question. Answer to this question would be "1-year program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institutes"

Submit your profile you will be awarded points for "Two or more certificates diplomas or degrees one must be for a program of three or more years".

That's a detailed guidance Ishq74. Appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Reactions: ishq74

chitre.raunak

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
New Jersey
NOC Code......

Hi,

I have a similar case. Although, it is for my spouse and I am the primary applicant with a Bachelor's WES evaluation. Now, her WES Evaluation states: Bachelor's degree (four years) and postgraduate diploma (one year). I did exactly as you mentioned in your post and she was awarded 10 points for it. However, when I used the CRS tool and selected "Two or more" option for her credentials, it awarded her only 9 points.

Any thoughts on this?

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hi,

I have a similar case. Although, it is for my spouse and I am the primary applicant with a Bachelor's WES evaluation. Now, her WES Evaluation states: Bachelor's degree (four years) and postgraduate diploma (one year). I did exactly as you mentioned in your post and she was awarded 10 points for it. However, when I used the CRS tool and selected "Two or more" option for her credentials, it awarded her only 9 points.

Any thoughts on this?
Please carefully recheck the entered details again. Specially ECA related questions. You should receive 9 points for spouse. I got 9 points for my spouse's creentials. I have entered level of education masters as per her certificate but bachelors degree as per the ECA. For your case it should be masters and 1 year program respectively. If you claim 10 points and crs cut off is exactly your total crs score then your recalculated crs score after submitting the application will fall below the cut off and you will be rejected. But if it doesnt fall below the cut off then you will be fine.

Good luck!

chitre.raunak

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
New Jersey
NOC Code......
Please carefully recheck the entered details again. Specially ECA related questions. You should receive 9 points for spouse. I got 9 points for my spouse's creentials. I have entered level of education masters as per her certificate but bachelors degree as per the ECA. For your case it should be masters and 1 year program respectively. If you claim 10 points and crs cut off is exactly your total crs score then your recalculated crs score after submitting the application will fall below the cut off and you will be rejected. But if it doesnt fall below the cut off then you will be fine.

Good luck!
Thanks. I believe there is an issue with the “Preview my score” button. Let me take a step back and give you a background of my application.

I added my Spouse’s education details but did not claim points for her education as our combined score was 473. We received ITA on 25th April. However, we had applied for my spouse’s eca anyway and received it today. Now, I decided to update our profile post ITA to remain consistent with the details entered and clicked on “Preview my score”. Here I tried a few permutations and combinations after which I realized that the score displayed after you click on it is basically driven by the first instance of “Level of Education” and not the one that is displayed after you mention ECA as Yes.

In my wife’s case the first instance reads Masters while the one prompted after ECA is “one year program”.

My inference is that its a mistake with the “Preview my score” button and may be after I submit it will give my 9 instead of 10 points.

Read this post where the applicants score increased when they clicked on “Preview my score”.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/level-of-education-scores-increased-in-the-preview-my-score-section-after-getting-ita.552114/

Reactions: ishq74

kushdewan

Jun 4, 2018
I have a question about LEVEL OF EDUCATION while calculating my CRS score.

I did a 2-year program plus 2 semesters (8 months) of paid work terms. Do I choose "degree, diploma of 3 years or longer" ? Or I have to choose " 1 or 2 year diploma".

Thank-you.

Chathura

Jul 18, 2017
Hi frnds
I need big help

I finished chartred accountancy cab 2 level and I sent academic transcript to wes but they are asking degree confirmation too what is that? I have completed only half so I don’t have any degree confirmation certificate I have result sheet and I sent it but still they are telling they have accepted academic transcript but they need degree confirmation. What can I do now?

Chathura

Jul 18, 2017
Hi frnds
I need big help

I finished chartred accountancy cab 2 level and I sent academic transcript to wes but they are asking degree confirmation too what is that? I have completed only half so I don’t have any degree confirmation certificate I have result sheet and I sent it but still they are telling they have accepted academic transcript but they need degree confirmation. What can I do now?

rajwantkaur

Nov 13, 2017

Hi, I did exactly same.
When I got ITA, Exactly same details are filled over there(they are carry forward from EE Profile) in Education history. When I click on Preview My Score I got extra point for education (126 instead of 119).

Please help, What went wrong!! I am stuck on this issue and unable to sumbit my APR.

rajwantkaur

Nov 13, 2017
Thanks. I believe there is an issue with the “Preview my score” button. Let me take a step back and give you a background of my application.

I added my Spouse’s education details but did not claim points for her education as our combined score was 473. We received ITA on 25th April. However, we had applied for my spouse’s eca anyway and received it today. Now, I decided to update our profile post ITA to remain consistent with the details entered and clicked on “Preview my score”. Here I tried a few permutations and combinations after which I realized that the score displayed after you click on it is basically driven by the first instance of “Level of Education” and not the one that is displayed after you mention ECA as Yes.

In my wife’s case the first instance reads Masters while the one prompted after ECA is “one year program”.

My inference is that its a mistake with the “Preview my score” button and may be after I submit it will give my 9 instead of 10 points.

Read this post where the applicants score increased when they clicked on “Preview my score”.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/level-of-education-scores-increased-in-the-preview-my-score-section-after-getting-ita.552114/
Same here, My points are incresed by 7 marks post ITA. I am not claiming points for my spouse. Only my education is accessed.

What can be done in this case. I got ITA last month and stuck on this issue. How you able to resolve this?

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hi, I did exactly same.
When I got ITA, Exactly same details are filled over there(they are carry forward from EE Profile) in Education history. When I click on Preview My Score I got extra point for education (126 instead of 119).

Please help, What went wrong!! I am stuck on this issue and unable to sumbit my APR.
Its a system glitch! It takes the original level of education into consideration instead the ECA level of education! Don't know why they are not fixing it. Just make sure you enter all details correctly before submitting the application. Ignore this preview score!

Good Luck!

rajwantkaur

Nov 13, 2017
Its a system glitch! It takes the original level of education into consideration instead the ECA level of education! Don't know why they are not fixing it. Just make sure you enter all details correctly before submitting the application. Ignore this preview score!

Good Luck!
Thanks for quick reply.

Please advice, should I go ahead and submit my application. Is ignoring Preview my Score button won't have any effect on application in future.
I got so nervous with this that even I wrote and spoke to WES that they might have incorrectly access my degrees.

You give me some hope, please advice?

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Thanks for quick reply.

Please advice, should I go ahead and submit my application. Is ignoring Preview my Score button won't have any effect on application in future.
I got so nervous with this that even I wrote and spoke to WES that they might have incorrectly access my degrees.

You give me some hope, please advice?
Your score will be recalculated again for program eligibility by a Case officer. So it does not matter at all if the sytem is showing higher score than your original score as long as your original score is higher than the cut off tie break score of the round of invitation you were invited under.

My score is 443 but this preview score showed 444. My round of invitation was 441, so when agent will recalculate manually my score he should find my score more than the cutoff tie break score. Otherwise my application will be rejected.

As long as your real score is more than the cut off tie break score you do not need to worry for anything. Just submit the application without hesitation.

Good Luck!