+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letters from friends and family (Common-Law)

jonnylad

Aug 5, 2013
Hey guys, just a quick one.

For the supporting evidence, I'm asking both me and my partner's parents and friends etc to write solemn declarations to prove we are in a rel co-habiting relationship. Questions are:

1) Do these need to be signed by a notary?
2) We're planning to send the application off on the 1 year anniversary that we started co-habiting. Should the dates that the forms are signed be also after this one year period or can they be, for example, the month before stating the date that we moved in and that it is on-going.

Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.

Jon

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1. You must have 2 statutory declarations. The rest don't need to be notarized.

2. I suggest you give a buffer of at least a few days. The forms CANNOT be dated before you legally become common-law.

jonnylad

Aug 5, 2013
OK, thanks for the clear answer mate! Can these be copies because it doesn't seem to state that they need to be originals???

Also family and friends we're going to use regardless but would it be better to use someone impartial for one of the notarized declarations? If we use our Landlord and also someone who knows us (not family) would that be better for the notarised copies?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jonnylad said:
OK, thanks for the clear answer mate! Can these be copies because it doesn't seem to state that they need to be originals???

Also family and friends we're going to use regardless but would it be better to use someone impartial for one of the notarized declarations? If we use our Landlord and also someone who knows us (not family) would that be better for the notarised copies?
Just as a photocopy of your passport is not your passport, a photocopy of a notarized letter is not a notarized letter. They must be original. The other letters can be copies.

It doesn't matter who you use. We had notarized letters from our parents.