+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letters from family and friends

f23b23

May 10, 2023
Hi all
I’m applying for inland common law sponsorship, and I’m providing supporting letters from friends, family and a neighbour.
I’m wondering if I can compose the letter for them and just get it signed by them? Is it okay if I create the base format and the body of the letter, and they make minor changes to make it feel personalized? Or does it strictly have to be written by them? I’m also getting most of these letters notarized, so there is no chance of fraudulent intent here.
Any input appreciated!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all
I’m applying for inland common law sponsorship, and I’m providing supporting letters from friends, family and a neighbour.
I’m wondering if I can compose the letter for them and just get it signed by them? Is it okay if I create the base format and the body of the letter, and they make minor changes to make it feel personalized? Or does it strictly have to be written by them? I’m also getting most of these letters notarized, so there is no chance of fraudulent intent here.
Any input appreciated!
Yes, you can do the basic letter and let them adapt it. It might help if they changed the formatting and font, or whatever. I'd emphasize as always: ask them to keep short, and factual, and if they can emphasize specific corroborating facts and dates, that's best. I.e. not "I know them and they really love each other, you can just tell it's real love blah blah puke." Instead: "A introduced me to B a few months after they met, in [date], and then told me in [date] that they had moved in together; we visited and gave them a [King Charles commemorative tea set] as a housewarming gift. We [played board games] at their apartment five times between [dates.] They attended our own wedding as a couple, we have mutual friends and all of them know them as a couple." It's this CONTENT guidance that's useful.

You don't need to have these letters notarized - a complete waste of time and money. If they don't believe the letters are real, some shill's stamp ("this is a letter") isn't going to convince them.

Reactions: YVR123

f23b23

May 10, 2023
Yes, you can do the basic letter and let them adapt it. It might help if they changed the formatting and font, or whatever. I'd emphasize as always: ask them to keep short, and factual, and if they can emphasize specific corroborating facts and dates, that's best. I.e. not "I know them and they really love each other, you can just tell it's real love blah blah puke." Instead: "A introduced me to B a few months after they met, in [date], and then told me in [date] that they had moved in together; we visited and gave them a [King Charles commemorative tea set] as a housewarming gift. We [played board games] at their apartment five times between [dates.] They attended our own wedding as a couple, we have mutual friends and all of them know them as a couple." It's this CONTENT guidance that's useful.

You don't need to have these letters notarized - a complete waste of time and money. If they don't believe the letters are real, some shill's stamp ("this is a letter") isn't going to convince them.
Amazingly explained. Thank you for this insight, much appreciated!

Reactions: armoured

mr42une

May 10, 2024
Hi
I want to ask if a mother who didn't declare her son when she immigrated to Canada and now is a citizen. Now she wants to invite her son who is now an grown up to come visit her in Canada. Just as a visitor, not family sponsorship. What can be advised to be done in this case?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi
I want to ask if a mother who didn't declare her son when she immigrated to Canada and now is a citizen. Now she wants to invite her son who is now an grown up to come visit her in Canada. Just as a visitor, not family sponsorship. What can be advised to be done in this case?
As far as I'm aware, no issue. There may be higher likelihood of rejection if they believe the intent is for him to get here and stay.