+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of no intention

Julie A.

May 28, 2019
My stepson will not be immigrating to Canada, though his father is. He refuses to fill out any of the paperwork required. We have been advised to provide a "Statement of No Intention" to immigrate which is signed my him. He has agreed to provide us with that, but other than the obvious "I'm not coming to Canada", what should the statement say?

Thanks for your help!

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
My stepson will not be immigrating to Canada, though his father is. He refuses to fill out any of the paperwork required. We have been advised to provide a "Statement of No Intention" to immigrate which is signed my him. He has agreed to provide us with that, but other than the obvious "I'm not coming to Canada", what should the statement say?

Thanks for your help!
I, XYZ Passport number/Identification document number declare that I presently have no intention to immigrate to Canada, nor have any plans to immigrate to Canada in the future.

Signed
XYZ

the implications of signing this means that your stepson will have a lot of explaining to do if he does try to immigrate to Canada in the future.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering: does this need to be notarized?
If in English or French and from that person, not needed. Include contact details.

Won't hurt to have notarized if you wish though.

Of course this applies only if the person signing is not a minor.

And repeat warning, future sponsorship of the individual will not be possible. Best to make this explicit, there are multiple cases here of people upset later they did not understand this point when they change their minds.

lybc

Apr 7, 2019
Thanks, this is helpful. One last Q: where should he send the letter? To us to upload with our application?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks, this is helpful. One last Q: where should he send the letter? To us to upload with our application?
You should include it with your application. If you've already applied, upload through webform submission and inquire if they need the original and where to send it.

Note, I said no notarization/certification needed - you should check whether needed for this particular form or country (I don't believe so). Or inquire of IRCC. If you wish to just avoid any issues, notarising can't hurt.

lybc

Apr 7, 2019
You should include it with your application. If you've already applied, upload through webform submission and inquire if they need the original and where to send it.

Note, I said no notarization/certification needed - you should check whether needed for this particular form or country (I don't believe so). Or inquire of IRCC. If you wish to just avoid any issues, notarising can't hurt.
Thanks very much for the helpful and speedy replies! I'm going to leave it to our son to decide on getting it notarized (based on how much of a hassle that is given his work schedule). He is including his personal contact info and an explanation of his decision, so I think it will be more credible than a generic, single-sentence message with or without a notary. It includes statements about his understanding of the ramifications - and irreversibility - of his decision.

Nov 5, 2020

Thanks for your help!
Hi I am currently in the same situation and wondering how it worked out for you

lybc

Apr 7, 2019
Closing the loop on this in case it is helpful to others, one of our young adult sons (20 years old) lives in the U.S. To get around him having to get fingerprinted and have a medical exam, we submitted with our application:

1. Signed but NOT notarized statement from our son stating that he has no intention to immigrate to Canada now or in the future, brief explanation of his circumstances in the US (full employment, total financial independence, strong family network in the US) to make clear that he's really not coming here and doesn't rely on us financially, and statement that he understands the consequences of refusing the medical exam and fingerprinting is that we cannot sponsor him ever and that this is irreversible.

2. A notarized statutory declaration from us that we are surrendering our right to sponsor our son. Providing a few sentences about our son's stability and maturity, that he's not coming here and won't need us to sponsor him.

A few months into the review, we were asked to submit a statement reconfirming that we understand we are forfeiting our ability to sponsor our son in the future.

We've received the invitation to finalize our PR through the portal, so I think this is all successfully behind us.

Reactions: armoured

Ehh

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Hoping someone may be able to provide some reassurance.

Some background - I'm in a situation where my spouse who is already in Canada, has applied for PR under the Spouse Common Law Family class. He has 2 daughter's overseas (16 and the other turned 18 after our application was submitted) which were included, howeve the older daughter's mother did not want her included and refused to provide the daugher's IDs. Note the older daughter also had no interest in coming to Canada.

Our lawyer advised we still had to include her as a dependent, however we can submit a Statutory Declaration explaining why we will have to proceed without the older daugher due to non-compliance of the mother.

Application was submitted March 1st 2022, and in April 2022, we rec'd requests for medical exams for both daughters and my spouse, even though we explained the older daughter would not be adhering to this request. We assumed this was simply a formality, and continued the process with the younger daugher and my spouse.

January 9th 2023 we have just received a letter requesting a Statutory Declaration again, and now a "statement of no intention" from the daughter. My assumption is that is because she has since turned 18 and is considered an adult? I understand they want to be sure of this decision to exclude her, as it's irreversible. And, her decision could have changed since turning 18. Is this standard? Do we need to worry? We were able to get the daughter to write a quick letter stating she has no intention to immigrate to Canada, now or in the future - signed it and provided her contact info. We re-wrote another declaration explaining that my spouse and his daughter are both aware that we are surrendering rights to sponsor her in the future, and had that notarized. I hope it's enough.

The letter from the officer stated the onus is on us to convince them and the application could be refused if it's not satisfactory. My spouse has already received the approval decision letter to apply for PR and work permit since August. We are so anxious that he will be asked to leave the country because of his daughter who doesn't want to come here!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)