+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of invitation - what to include? what format is accepted?

infoseeeker

Jul 15, 2010
Dear all,

I'm new to this site but I have to say I'm learning a lot about processes from you guys, so thank you in advanced. I am a Canadian citizen. I married my wife who is a Malaysian. We are both living and working professional jobs in Singapore. It was only recently that we discovered how Canada immigrations is so tough on temp visa applicants who are married to Canadian, so we would like some help on this.

We are both in IT and both working professionals. We already have tickets bought for September and we can both show that we have more than sufficient funds to cover the our short visit. We also have letters from our employers stating out job titles and income levels. The purpose of this trip is really so that she can meet the rest of my family and visit Toronto for the first time. She has traveled to the USA on numerous occasions and they have even granted her a visa for 10 years.

I really hope this makes her a favorable candidate to attain a visitors visa. We have read that it would take about 1 month for the visa application if done in Singapore, so this is why we need your help and advice. I have communicated to my parents about the letter of invitation. our questions are...

who should it be addressed to?
what kind of details should be included?
would supporting documents such as scans of my parent's passports and citizen cards be enough?
do we have to submit actual hard copy of the original letter or would a print out of the scan with their signatures be enough?
we plan to stay with them but we plan on paying for expenses ourselves. do they have to submit financial documents?

Thanks again for your help!

zsashimi

Jun 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2014
AOR Received.
14-Aug-2014
Med's Request
23-Oct-2014
Med's Done....
07-Nov-2014
Passport Req..
6-Jan-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-Jan-2015
infoseeeker said:
Dear all,

I'm new to this site but I have to say I'm learning a lot about processes from you guys, so thank you in advanced. I am a Canadian citizen. I married my wife who is a Malaysian. We are both living and working professional jobs in Singapore. It was only recently that we discovered how Canada immigrations is so tough on temp visa applicants who are married to Canadian, so we would like some help on this.

We are both in IT and both working professionals. We already have tickets bought for September and we can both show that we have more than sufficient funds to cover the our short visit. We also have letters from our employers stating out job titles and income levels. The purpose of this trip is really so that she can meet the rest of my family and visit Toronto for the first time. She has traveled to the USA on numerous occasions and they have even granted her a visa for 10 years.

I really hope this makes her a favorable candidate to attain a visitors visa. We have read that it would take about 1 month for the visa application if done in Singapore, so this is why we need your help and advice. I have communicated to my parents about the letter of invitation. our questions are...

who should it be addressed to?
==> 1 Letter of invitation address to your visitor and another letter address to the Visa officer

what kind of details should be included?
==> for your visitor, just a casual letter of invitation stating that you intend you accommodate him/her in your place or pay for her expenses such as plane fare, lodging, etc.
==> for the visa officer, indicate that although your visitor has enough money to use in her visit, you are shouldering some of her expenses like the plane fare, lodging, etc. Then include your financial statement to show that you are able to support your visitor
would supporting documents such as scans of my parent's passports and citizen cards be enough?

do we have to submit actual hard copy of the original letter or would a print out of the scan with their signatures be enough?
==> photocopy of the passport

we plan to stay with them but we plan on paying for expenses ourselves. do they have to submit financial documents?

Thanks again for your help!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
your guest need to provide their financial statement as well

infoseeeker

Jul 15, 2010
Hello Zsashimi,

Thanks for the information! This is very helpful. If you don't mind, we have a few follow up questions based on your answers.

Since the letter of invitation will be coming from my parents, do they have to show proof of income or show any financial statements? The trip will be primarily paid but my wife and myself. Based on any financial statement, it would show that we are in much better financial situation then my parents are.

As for their documents, I already have print outs of their passports and Citizen cards, so I'm good there. For the letter thought, I was thinking of writing it, emailing it to them so that they can print it out sign it and scan it back to us. Would this be ok for the application, or do we need to submit actual letter that they sign.

Thanks!

infoseeeker

Jul 15, 2010
Hello Steaky,

Would a bank statement be sufficient? I don't think they have a lot, but if we can cover all of our expenses and we can prove that we have such funds, that would be ok? Does it make sense to transfer some funds to fatten up their financial records?

Thanks!

zsashimi

Jun 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2014
AOR Received.
14-Aug-2014
Med's Request
23-Oct-2014
Med's Done....
07-Nov-2014
Passport Req..
6-Jan-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-Jan-2015
infoseeeker said:
Hello Zsashimi,

Thanks for the information! This is very helpful. If you don't mind, we have a few follow up questions based on your answers.

Since the letter of invitation will be coming from my parents, do they have to show proof of income or show any financial statements? The trip will be primarily paid but my wife and myself. Based on any financial statement, it would show that we are in much better financial situation then my parents are.
==> If they wont be paying for your visit, I guess they dont have to as long as they wont mention in their letter of invitation that they will be paying for your expenses.

As for their documents, I already have print outs of their passports and Citizen cards, so I'm good there. For the letter thought, I was thinking of writing it, emailing it to them so that they can print it out sign it and scan it back to us. Would this be ok for the application, or do we need to submit actual letter that they sign.
==> I also did this. I created the letter, send it to my Aunt who invited us, then she sent it back to me through e-mail. She also sent a letter through courier addressed to the visa officer.

Thanks!

infoseeeker

Jul 15, 2010
Hey Zsashimi,

Thanks again for the information. The casual letter of invitation from my parents to my wife, can this be in the form of an email? Now adays, email is so simply and can definitely serve as proper invitations right? Do you know if that is accepted or will they still have to write a letter and sign it even though its being addressed to my wife?

zsashimi

Jun 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2014
AOR Received.
14-Aug-2014
Med's Request
23-Oct-2014
Med's Done....
07-Nov-2014
Passport Req..
6-Jan-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-Jan-2015
infoseeeker said:
Hey Zsashimi,

Thanks again for the information. The casual letter of invitation from my parents to my wife, can this be in the form of an email? Now adays, email is so simply and can definitely serve as proper invitations right? Do you know if that is accepted or will they still have to write a letter and sign it even though its being addressed to my wife?
I think email is accepted nowadays. Not sure on this though.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
infoseeeker said:
Hello Steaky,

Would a bank statement be sufficient? I don't think they have a lot, but if we can cover all of our expenses and we can prove that we have such funds, that would be ok? Does it make sense to transfer some funds to fatten up their financial records?

Thanks!
Yes, I know one poster had his mom to submit her bank statement to the visa office. You can also take reference to this older discussion on the letter of invitation format - what to include..

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t41999.0.html;msg290860#msg290860

infoseeeker

Jul 15, 2010
Hello Steaky,

That was a great link. Thanks for everyone who helped. We are about to submit the application. Hopefully this threat was useful for others as well!

Cheers!

wilder1047

Star Member
Apr 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is the link for what to include in the letter from the Canadian Immigration website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp

Good Luck!!

annicia1988

Apr 8, 2011
HEy...ur discussion seemed the most related to my query
I am going for a short term course to Canada.
MY father will be funding my trip completely i.e. course fee, travel, etc..
However I willbe staying with a family friend who is a CAnadian citizen during my visit. Besides that they will not be shelling out any expenses for my trip.
In this case what would the invitation letter state? and would he have to provide his Income tax returns then??

pencil-skirt

May 12, 2011
I think income tax returns or pay stubs and a letter from the employer would be sufficient to confirm their income. You may also want to get something documenting you can stay there - either the deed of ownership for the house, or the rental agreement if it is an apartment.