+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of Employment and Employment Records

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
Hi All, I am applying under CEC, Job Offer stream. I am not getting the difference between Employment Records and Letter of Employment section for the current Job:

1. I have offer letter of my current job extension from the same company for which I am already working
2. I have accepted and working on the same role and designation.
3. I received a Detailed Experience letter with Roles and Responsibilities, salary from my current supervisor and attached in the Employment records.

What document I should attach in the Letter of Employment section?
Do I need to attach same Detailed Experience letter + Offer Letter in this section also?
Anyone who applied in Job Offer stream, please suggest, how they attached documents in Letter of Employment section.

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
What you're describing in 3 is what you should upload for each past/current work experience you're claiming CRS points for, that's the letter of reference.

If you're claiming the additional 50 points for job offer, the offer must specify that it's for at least 1 year after you become PR and have LMIA approved, check this link for further details:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=695&top=29
Thanks! LMIA is not mandatory but yes offer letter should be more than one year. My question is on Letter of Employment. Employment records of Current company and Letter of Employment looks similar. What is the difference in these two.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
employment records = payslips, T4
letter of employment = letter of reference

LMIA is mandatory to have valid job offer for immigration purposes, there are very few jobs that are exempt.

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
employment records = payslips, T4
letter of employment = letter of reference

LMIA is mandatory to have valid job offer for immigration purposes, there are very few jobs that are exempt.
Thank you very much for the reply! so it means in Letter of employment section, I need to attach letter received from current supervisor

Kv Dhunna

Jun 18, 2020
Hello @lostinquebec , can you please advice me regarding my query, while answering do you have valid job offer in express entry i wrote yes and answered all further questions accordingly And got ITA , but it did not gave me any points at that time but now i realized the answer to this Should be no. But even stating no in pr application my score remains same Because i’m not fetching any points for LMIA. I got confused at the time of submitting express entry and continued with yes. So what i can do now?

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hello @lostinquebec , can you please advice me regarding my query, while answering do you have valid job offer in express entry i wrote yes and answered all further questions accordingly And got ITA , but it did not gave me any points at that time but now i realized the answer to this Should be no. But even stating no in pr application my score remains same Because i’m not fetching any points for LMIA. I got confused at the time of submitting express entry and continued with yes. So what i can do now?
If you're 100% sure it's not going to affect your points then I guess you could send an LOE to the officer through webform explaining the situation, and better if you do it with the advice from a lawyer.

Kv Dhunna

Jun 18, 2020
If you're 100% sure it's not going to affect your points then I guess you could send an LOE to the officer through webform explaining the situation, and better if you do it with the advice from a lawyer.
I have not submitted my application yet.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I'm going to jump in on this as well with more questions. Just got off the phone with IRC and my head is still spinning from before the call.

In my list of documents I need to submit employment records from my current employer. I'm also supposed to upload "letter of employment". I've already uploaded the "Offer of Employment". I'm on an LMIA approved closed work permit.

What confuses me is that all past jobs, Canadian and foreign, are required to be supported with "employment records" which is our proof of work history, which can be a letter. (good luck to me on that one. My country doesn't need to keep records longer than 6 years. And I've been in Canada for 7 years.)

My current boss doesn't issue payslips. Cheque every week, and T4 issued year after, in time for filing taxes.

So, should I upload the letter in "employment records" and my contract in "letter of employment" ??

Need to get this done by Friday.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
I'm going to jump in on this as well with more questions. Just got off the phone with IRC and my head is still spinning from before the call.

In my list of documents I need to submit employment records from my current employer. I'm also supposed to upload "letter of employment". I've already uploaded the "Offer of Employment". I'm on an LMIA approved closed work permit.

What confuses me is that all past jobs, Canadian and foreign, are required to be supported with "employment records" which is our proof of work history, which can be a letter. (good luck to me on that one. My country doesn't need to keep records longer than 6 years. And I've been in Canada for 7 years.)

My current boss doesn't issue payslips. Cheque every week, and T4 issued year after, in time for filing taxes.

So, should I upload the letter in "employment records" and my contract in "letter of employment" ??

if you click on the question mark next to each list of documents it will tell you what you're supposed to upload on each position

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020

I am also not sure. I am going to attach reference letter in both the section. In Employee Record section I would attach reference letter, pay slip and T4.
In Letter of Employment section, I would attach Reference letter + Offer Letter. My Reference letter is issue after the Offer start date...

It would be helpful if anyone applied in this stream and got his PR can suggest.

pzzz23

Jun 15, 2020
I am also not sure. I am going to attach reference letter in both the section. In Employee Record section I would attach reference letter, pay slip and T4.
In Letter of Employment section, I would attach the Reference letter + Offer Letter. My Reference letter is issue after the Offer start date...

It would be helpful if anyone applied in this stream and got his PR can suggest.
I have a similar scenario:
I am CEC working on an ICT LMIA exempt Closed work permit.
I have got a job offer letter (which states 1-year employment post PR clause) from the same employer. (claiming 50 additional pts. though didn't really need it.)
I have got another letter (reference/ job verification) letter which also states everything about my current job without the 1-year clause statement.
Now the problem is what to upload in Letter of Employment.

I believe I should also go on the same route.

Offer Letter ==> Offer letter (which states 1-year employment post PR clause)
Letter of Employment ==> Reference/Job Verification Letter + Offer Letter
Employment Records ==> Reference/Job Verification Letter + T4 + Payslips + Appraisal letters + etc.

Please let me know if someone in the past has faced a similar situation. I believe it should be fine but would like to know if someone got PR following the same.

Thanks.

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
I have a similar scenario:
I am CEC working on an ICT LMIA exempt Closed work permit.
I have got a job offer letter (which states 1-year employment post PR clause) from the same employer. (claiming 50 additional pts. though didn't really need it.)
I have got another letter (reference/ job verification) letter which also states everything about my current job without the 1-year clause statement.
Now the problem is what to upload in Letter of Employment.

I believe I should also go on the same route.

Offer Letter ==> Offer letter (which states 1-year employment post PR clause)
Letter of Employment ==> Reference/Job Verification Letter + Offer Letter
Employment Records ==> Reference/Job Verification Letter + T4 + Payslips + Appraisal letters + etc.

Please let me know if someone in the past has faced a similar situation. I believe it should be fine but would like to know if someone got PR following the same.

Thanks.
I did the same based on comments posted by other applicants... In Employment Records include T 4 slip/ Form 16 also