+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

junebug45

Dec 11, 2015
silent follower of this helpful forum. thanks to all the contributors.
Here is my timeline:
pgwp applied: 20 May
blank update: monthly, dec8
approval: dec7
mail delivery: dec 11

i was really happy to finally get my pgwp until i checked the validity. it say 11 months although i studied for two years and my passport expires in 2020. has anyone had similar experience and what can i do to try and get it fixed. cic agent said there is an error for sure and flagged my application but i don't know if anything can be done. any advice??

numair728

Star Member
Apr 19, 2014
anyone got their pgwp approval yet? please keep us informed. it would give us idea about the applications of which month are in the process.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Numair

salmaniut

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2016
AOR Received.
05-12-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Inland
jubear said:
Hi Memehn,

You applied using the wrong form. Form IMM5708E is for those applicants who have visitor status in Canada and wishing to extend or restore their status.

As a WP holder (in your case, a PGWP) you should have applied using form IMM5257E. Its possible you didn't answer the eligibility questionnaire correctly.

Its imperative that you answer questions such as these correctly:
**1- What would you like to do in Canada? Work
2- Current country of residence? Canada
3- Immigration status in Canada? Worker
4- What best describes your situation? OWP

Question 1 is where most applicants make the error. As applicants with a WP, we apply for a TRV in order to return as a worker after a visit/travelling outside Canada.

Cheers!
Hi Jubear,
I am trying to extend my PGWP in online. However, I didn't get the options to do that. Do you know how to do that? Or i need to apply in paper for extension.

Thanks

y54su

Nov 28, 2015
Hi, I just call the cic call center. It says that send me a message for more documents on Nov.27.But I checked my cic account, no new message :eek:
also, I checked my email, nothing from cic. Dose anyone know what's going on or had someone have the same situation? Please help. I applied on May 16th.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salmaniut said:
Hi Jubear,
I am trying to extend my PGWP in online. However, I didn't get the options to do that. Do you know how to do that? Or i need to apply in paper for extension.

Thanks
Salmaniut,

The online system doesn't cater for WP extensions like it used to, 2 years ago. I think you will be best served using a paper application. Its your best option. Use this paper application package at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Include a cover letter explaining your situation - Postgraduate work permit was initially issued to passport expiry and now you want to apply for its extension. Make sure the cover letter is short, precise and to the point. No stories!!. A maximum of 7 lines is all you need.

DOCS YOU WILL NEED:
1- Form IMM5710E. Don't forget to validate the form and include the barcode page on top.
**2- PDF fees receipt amounting to $255.
3- Photocopies of your new AND old passport (clearly showing personal info and stamps).
4- Photocopy of your current PGWP (immigration doc) that you wish to extend.
* 5- Docs checklist IMM5556E

Note
** To pay your fees, go to the online payment system at: https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/welcome.do?lang=en. Once you are there follow the instructions below:
Click continue button below > Accept disclaimer > Immigration > Temporary residence > Work permit (including
extensions - $155) > type 1 for number of applications > Open work permit holder fee ($100)> type 1 for number of applications
> Submit > Pay. You will be asked to register on the online payment system in case you are not. A PDF receipt will be generated.

* You must include the document checklist as part of your application. Gather your documents in order of the checklist and check/tick each item. In your case you will arrange your documents in the order of 1, 5, 2, 3 and 4.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Cheers!

bluebloodedb

Dec 3, 2015
DK15 said:
Thank you very much for the reply. I have one more question about the transcript, was it the official or the unofficial one? Because the unofficial one I can easily get it from the school website without paying for it but the official one has to be in a seal and sent directly to whoever and it costs some fees. I am not sure if there's something else different between the 2 but i think i should order the official one from the school just in case. Thanks.
Hello DK15, I am not sure what is the best option but I know you should look for the fastest approach because you will be given one week to submit the transcript. Since you will have to scan it to them, I think there will not be a problem with the unofficial transcripts but if they send you an address for you to mail it to them then I guess you have to mail them the official transcripts but since you will be likely be given one week to submit the transcripts I doubt they will send you an address to mail it. It will likely be a link for you to scan and upload and in that case you can use whatever transcripts you have just as in my case. This is my own personal opinion.

salmaniut

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2016
AOR Received.
05-12-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Inland
jubear said:
Salmaniut,

The online system doesn't cater for WP extensions like it used to, 2 years ago. I think you will be best served using a paper application. Its your best option. Use this paper application package at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Include a cover letter explaining your situation - Postgraduate work permit was initially issued to passport expiry and now you want to apply for its extension. Make sure the cover letter is short, precise and to the point. No stories!!. A maximum of 7 lines is all you need.

DOCS YOU WILL NEED:
1- Form IMM5710E. Don't forget to validate the form and include the barcode page on top.
**2- PDF fees receipt amounting to $255.
3- Photocopies of your new AND old passport (clearly showing personal info and stamps).
4- Photocopy of your current PGWP (immigration doc) that you wish to extend.
* 5- Docs checklist IMM5556E

Note
** To pay your fees, go to the online payment system at: https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/welcome.do?lang=en. Once you are there follow the instructions below:
Click continue button below > Accept disclaimer > Immigration > Temporary residence > Work permit (including
extensions - $155) > type 1 for number of applications > Open work permit holder fee ($100)> type 1 for number of applications
> Submit > Pay. You will be asked to register on the online payment system in case you are not. A PDF receipt will be generated.

* You must include the document checklist as part of your application. Gather your documents in order of the checklist and check/tick each item. In your case you will arrange your documents in the order of 1, 5, 2, 3 and 4.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Cheers!
Thanks Jubear

Ares91

Sep 26, 2015
Hello fellow applicants,

I applied for my pgwp in september but I only scanned the front page of my passport and not scans of the stamps. Is that going to be an issue with CIC?

DK15

Nov 22, 2015
Thanks for the info. I looked at the transcript that i got from the school website and saw that it has "unofficial" written on it. The official one should have some stamps and signatures from some staff at the school so i have ordered for that one. As soon as i get it i will scan it an wait just in case cic asks for it.

bluebloodedb said:
Hello DK15, I am not sure what is the best option but I know you should look for the fastest approach because you will be given one week to submit the transcript. Since you will have to scan it to them, I think there will not be a problem with the unofficial transcripts but if they send you an address for you to mail it to them then I guess you have to mail them the official transcripts but since you will be likely be given one week to submit the transcripts I doubt they will send you an address to mail it. It will likely be a link for you to scan and upload and in that case you can use whatever transcripts you have just as in my case. This is my own personal opinion.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DK15 said:
Thanks for the info. I looked at the transcript that i got from the school website and saw that it has "unofficial" written on it. The official one should have some stamps and signatures from some staff at the school so i have ordered for that one. As soon as i get it i will scan it an wait just in case cic asks for it.
DK15,

That is indeed the right decision to make. Never ever use an unofficial transcript even if the word unofficial wasn't written on it. CIC always requires applicants to provide copies of valid and official documents. Even if they didn't, its wise and safer to use documents that will be accepted without scrutiny or suspicion. Suspicion/scrutiny is sometimes a cause for the delay in the processing. Good luck and hopefully you get your PGWP soon.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ares91 said:
Hello fellow applicants,

I applied for my pgwp in september but I only scanned the front page of my passport and not scans of the stamps. Is that going to be an issue with CIC?
Ares91,

Its impossible to determine what will happen. Sometimes it all depends on what agent is processing your application. Hope for an oversight on the agent's part. Also do not sweat it too much and stay positive. Its a minor error.

Cheers!

DK15

Nov 22, 2015
Thanks. I've seen how ruthless CIC can be so it's better I have it ready. Official Transcript = 13 CAD only. Restoration + new pgwp application = 455 CAD and 4 to 6 months additional waiting time.

jubear said:
DK15,

That is indeed the right decision to make. Never ever use an unofficial transcript even if the word unofficial wasn't written on it. CIC always requires applicants to provide copies of valid and official documents. Even if they didn't, its wise and safer to use documents that will be accepted without scrutiny or suspicion. Suspicion/scrutiny is sometimes a cause for the delay in the processing. Good luck and hopefully you get your PGWP soon.

Cheers!

Deepicka

Jul 30, 2015
Hi Jubear,

I need some guidance. If you remember me i got my PGWP recently. I am planning a trip back to my home country for which i applied mine and my daughter's TRV. My request (permission to re-enter Canada) has been approved whereas my daughter's request has been withdrawn saying that CIC does not process requests of individuals not having any legal status in Canada and that i should apply at canadian mission responsible for my country. My daughter got her permission to remain in canada for the duration of my work permit already. My question is where do i need to apply for her TRV? I don't want to go out of Canada until i have her permission to return as well. Please suggest. Thanks.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Deepicka said:
Hi Jubear,

I need some guidance. If you remember me i got my PGWP recently. I am planning a trip back to my home country for which i applied mine and my daughter's TRV. My request (permission to re-enter Canada) has been approved whereas my daughter's request has been withdrawn saying that CIC does not process requests of individuals not having any legal status in Canada and that i should apply at canadian mission responsible for my country. My daughter got her permission to remain in canada for the duration of my work permit already. My question is where do i need to apply for her TRV? I don't want to go out of Canada until i have her permission to return as well. Please suggest. Thanks.
Hi Deepicka,

Your spouse or common-law partner and children must meet all of the requirements for temporary residence in Canada. In your case it seems to me that your daughter is a minor (under 18). Your daughter doesn't need a TRV and that's why she got permission to remain in Canada for the duration of your WP. Therefore, show proof of that permission on your return to Canada including:

- Applying on her behalf in your home country for her to enter Canada. Its just an administrative process for minors by CIC embassies.
- Copy of her birth certificate.
- Her passport.
- Her study permit if she is between grade 1 and 12. However, if your daughter is in kindergarten, she doesn't need a SP.

Further info can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/minors.asp. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Cheers!