Paid $100: Aug 19th
Blank Update: Monthly
PGWP Approval: Oct 19th
Mail Delivery: Oct 26th

Jace

Oct 9, 2015
mets15 said:
Hi Jace,

Yes you can work on implied status while you wait for the PGWP unless you leave the country and come back. Then you will have to wait but if you stick around in Canada, you're good to go. I've been working full-time since graduation and went on implied at the end of July. I just couldn't leave for my vacation if I wanted to keep working and getting paid..

Can't post links here, just google 'working on implied status' and it's the first two CIC links that comes up.

Cheers.

Thank you mets15!

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
ft395 said:
Hi!
some emails came in the afternoon. the others came in the morning. You can keep an eye on your application status on the website. For me, the application status came out in the afternoon. I saw the Approval status the day before email notice
Thanks ft395, I will keep an eye as I have been.. I still have no news and had to cancel my flight. This is so frustrating. :(

loocyb1008

Sep 28, 2015
Jace said:
Hi Everyone,

If the study permit expired, but still waiting for the work permit,can we work full time? I called CIC twice, they told me "Yes".
My friend call CIC today and ask the same question, the agent said "No". Does anyone know the answer? Can we work full time if the study permit expired and still waiting for the work permit? Is there any act or document we could refer to?

Thank you.
Being able to work while you wait for your pgwp depends on the conditions printed on your study permit.

If you were issued a study permit after June 1, 2014 then you should be able to work while you wait for your pgwp (I believe full time, but not 100% sure about that) as long as you have not left the country and are still on implied status and it states on your study permit that you are allowed to work off campus. This is because as of June 1, 2014 CIC now automatically verifies that an individual is allowed to work off campus and prints a statement stating that on their study permit.

If you were issued a study permit prior to June 2014 and you have done one of the following:
*hold a valid off campus work permit (they no longer issue these as of June 2014)
*you applied and received a confirmation to work letter (which they no longer issue as of February 2015)
*you have gotten your study permit amended so that it states that you can work off campus. (Your study permit must still be valid to be able to amend it, this is now the only way to go through the verification process for sp issued prior to June 2014)
you should be able to work off campus while you wait for your pgwp.

Before June 2014 study permit holders had to apply separately to go through the verification process to be able to work off campus. If you have a sp issued prior to June 2014 you must go through this verification process through one of the three options above to be able to work off campus while you wait for your pgwp.

I am currently waiting for my study permit to be amended (I am also waiting for my pgwp to be processed, I applied mid Sept. 2015) since my sp was issued prior to June 2014 and I didn't have an ocwp or confirmation letter. I cannot work off campus until I receive my amended study permit. I am still eligible to work on campus since those were the conditions on my study permit while I wait for my pgwp.

McGill University has now put a remark about the prior to June 2014 caveat on their website. www . mcgill . ca / internationalstudents / work / work-permits / post-graduation-work-permit

I have also called CIC 3 times and asked about working off campus while I wait and got a "no" every time. On the third call the CIC agent actually properly explained the above process to me. The important thing is, is that if you need to amend your study permit you must do it while it is still valid.

Skylene

Sep 29, 2015
I applied: July 3rd
Blank email: Oct 13th
Approval: Nothing as of 26th October.
I called CIC today, the automated voice message said they are busy and can't talk now. :'(. CIC is really frustrating work permit applicants!!!

needPermit

Star Member
Jul 9, 2015
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-05-2016
Doc's Request.
07-06-2017
Nomination.....
02-05-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
07-06-2017
Med's Done....
07-013-2017
I wanted to share my experience. [May 15th applicant]

I contacted my MP today. I was trying to find the phone number but couldn't locate it online. Hence I tweeted him online, and he send me a direct reply saying that since his new office isn't set up due to elections, he can refer me to the other MP in the city and he gave me their details.

I contacted the other MP's office today and I must say the assistant that spoke to me was a gentleman. He took all my details including my consent form and followed up with CIC. He got back to me within 2 hours to tell that they have initiated my query. He also gave me the assurance that everything on my file is absolutely normal and that CIC couldn't even give the MP's assistant a reason as to why the file was delayed when everything's normal. They said that I will hear back within 10 days either from CIC or from the MP's office.

I don't mind the additional 10 days, I am OK to wait for that as well. But I just hope that the confidence and the diligence with which the MP's office took this initiative result in a positive outcome of my application, soon.

Cheers,
NeedPermit

Batman4789

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Hey I also applied on may 15th and I contacted my MP today they said my application is flagged as approved but not finalized yet.( i dont understand what that actually means)

Jubear --- please let me know wat does that mean.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Batman4789 said:
Hey I also applied on may 15th and I contacted my MP today they said my application is flagged as approved but not finalized yet.( i dont understand what that actually means)

Jubear --- please let me know wat does that mean.
Batman4789,

Give it a few hours or days to see what comes out of it. Think of it as a sign of good things to come.

Cheers!

BrinaBee

Oct 22, 2015
I called CIC this afternoon. The agent I spoke with told me that my application is still being reviewed. She said if they needed anything further they will contact me. I asked if she can provide a time frame for when I can expect a response and she said that if I don't get a response by Dec 7th then I should contact them again.

hhsivy

Oct 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-05-2016
Nomination.....
08-07-2016
AOR Received.
21-07-2016
IELTS Request
18-08-2016
Med's Request
13-07-2016
Med's Done....
20-07-2016
Passport Req..
09-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-01-2017
Hi Jubear,

I just checked online and it said my application been approved at the home page. But when I clicked "check status and messages", it's still open and "not started" yet. Maybe I should wait for a day to let the email shows up? I checked my profile every a few minutes today and around 2:30pm I found it said "update" instead of "submitted" and after I refreshed the website it changed to "approved"

adlmer

Sep 23, 2015
loocyb1008,
I received following clarification from CIC regarding work off campus full time after graduation. The words clearly means if you were "eligible" to take on off campus work without permit (not allowed or authorized) and had a valid study permit.

While awaiting a decision to be made, they can continue to work and hold a full-time position if, at the time they submit their PGWP application:

They held a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit, or
They held a valid study permit and were eligible to work off-campus without a work permit.

So according to my understanding IF you were in designated learning institute, studied full time in a program longer than 6 months, u can work off campus unless what you described is provided in written by CIC and not just verbal. By the way, I would not bet on CIC call agents to be the best judge.

Also, check these links:

http:// www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes .asp
On June 1, 2014, if you hold a study permit but you have not yet applied for an Off-Campus Work Permit, you are authorized to work off campus without a work permit as long as you meet the eligibility requirements for working off campus. [for designated learning institute students.. see the text in link]

http:// www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5553ETOC .asp
A work permit is a written authorization to work in Canada issued by an officer to a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.

WIND123

Sep 26, 2015
swprox said:
If it is any comfort to you, I applied on May 10th and still waiting. And if you go through the list Jubear has compiled, you will see many who applied before you guys still waiting. It is terrible for everyone, and all we can do is hope it arrives sooner rather than later.
I applied on may4th and haven't received mine yet...paid $100 on Aug 20th

oko_zenita

Oct 26, 2015
Hello, everyone!

I would like to share my situation as well:

Applied: May 29th (Full amount paid)
Blank Update: 2 times in August 10th and 18th
Current Status: Waiting as of October 26th (day 151) 4 months, 28 days

I called them couple of times just asking if I am eligible to work in Canada, yes I am, and everyone of you guys (as long as you held valid study permit and eligible for pgwp); second time I was calling asking ETA, it was around 4 weeks ago and they said that my application should be ready in 4 weeks (sad that it is not here yet). I also called last Friday due to their processing time update (jump from May 16th(if I remember)to June 5th application) and they said they will send the request to people who work on applications and they will contact me if needed.

Waiting-waiting-waiting, through all the stress and frustration, still waiting. I saw people contacting MP's. Not sure If I should do that.

Anyway, good luck to all of you, hope that everything will be fast, good and clean

Peace,
OZ