Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
jubear said:
go straight to the Canadian customs and apply for a work permit
I wonder why people can't just do that? Why the need to cross the border and come back when you have the Border office on Canadian land itself that you can walk up to?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nandini09 said:
Thank you so much for the infor :D :D :D
No worries. Enjoy the adventure and treasure hunt. Good luck and let us know about your experience once you return. :)

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nevillek said:
I wonder why people can't just do that? Why the need to cross the border and come back when you have the Border office on Canadian land itself that you can walk up to?
Well, I guess you will never find out until you make that decision. Fortune has favored those who have been brave enough to try something different.

As much as I understand your cautiousness, the ball is in your hands to make that decision either to head to the border or sit and wait for 98 days if you feel its a safer option for you.

Like I always say, there is no guarantee on any type of application; whether its made at the border, online, or by paper. It can be denied or approved. I know of people who have applied online for a PGWP and have been denied. You can imagine, they had spent more than 85 days waiting. They had to do restoration, then appeal and they are still waiting. Again they have no guarantee they will get it.

Another friend of mine who applied for PR didn't have to cross the border. He just went straight to Canada customs and got the OWP right away. Yet other PR applicants have had to cross the border.

So in the end, every individual has a different situation. Every individual answers questions differently to make it easier or difficult for themselves at the border. One's experiences will be different from someone else depending on their situation and documentation.

Its up to you now to take your chances. After all you've been outside Canada. You could actually just go straight to Canada customs and ask for a work permit on your return if you want.

ksa9550

Jul 11, 2015
immshunli said:
I am deadly serious, me and my two friends went there together, and Our three are not the only people there for wor permits, there were several British guys there as well, although the officers treated them nicer then us, but everybody left the CBSA with a happy face. Is there any risks to do this, yes of course, but it all depends on how urgent you need the permit, if you want to work immediately before you SIN Expired , I can't see a better way then this
You had the same situation as me. I applied PGWP online already but want to go to the border to flagpole.
I know there is no risk of flag poling but I am worried about the CBSA telling me to wait for my CIC application.
I am debating to go to Niagara border or Windsor border.
What border did you go to? Do you have any experience at Niagara or Windsor border?

manav.diwan

Jun 30, 2015
Hey everyone! Just wanted to update you. I went for flagpoling today and got my 3 year PGWP successfully :D
I went to the the Niagara Border (Rainbow Bridge) today morning and got it done. It was a very tireless experience. Literally took me only 55 minutes to complete everything. Just sharing my experience here for all those who are thinking of doing it:

1. Walked through the turnstile from Canadian side using the pedestrian walkway to the US side.

2. The officer immediately asked me if I was there for landing purpose (a.k.a flag-poling; they know there stuff), asked for my passport and in return gave me a white form stating "administrative refusal" and asked me to show it to the Canadian guys.

3. Got back to the Canadian border and the officer directed me to the immigration office for further processing.

4. The CBSA officer asked for my Passport, Study Permit, Completion Letter from College and my Original College Offer Letter (for study permit holders). He didn't ask for the printed paper application (IMM 5710) but for safe side, always take it.

5. Waited for maybe 30 minutes and then asked me to take pay the cashier $255 and get back the receipt. Took that receipt and gave me my PGWP within minutes.

It was a very effortless experience. Just look confident, be polite and most importantly have all the documents you need (even the ones you feel won't be required). All the best if you wish to try it! :)

I just have one question if someone can help me. Now that I have this work permit, how can I withdraw/cancel my online application?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manav.diwan said:
Hey everyone! Just wanted to update you. I went for flagpoling today and got my 3 year PGWP successfully :D
I went to the the Niagara Border (Rainbow Bridge) today morning and got it done. It was a very tireless experience. Literally took me only 55 minutes to complete everything. Just sharing my experience here for all those who are thinking of doing it:

1. Walked through the turnstile from Canadian side using the pedestrian walkway to the US side.

2. The officer immediately asked me if I was there for landing purpose (a.k.a flag-poling; they know there stuff), asked for my passport and in return gave me a white form stating "administrative refusal" and asked me to show it to the Canadian guys.

3. Got back to the Canadian border and the officer directed me to the immigration office for further processing.

4. The CBSA officer asked for my Passport, Study Permit, Completion Letter from College and my Original College Offer Letter (for study permit holders). He didn't ask for the printed paper application (IMM 5710) but for safe side, always take it.

5. Waited for maybe 30 minutes and then asked me to take pay the cashier $255 and get back the receipt. Took that receipt and gave me my PGWP within minutes.

It was a very effortless experience. Just look confident, be polite and most importantly have all the documents you need (even the ones you feel won't be required). All the best if you wish to try it! :)

I just have one question if someone can help me. Now that I have this work permit, how can I withdraw/cancel my online application?
Manav.diwan,

Many congratulations! I'm glad you enjoyed the adventure. Also, I'm sure members on this forum will appreciate your feedback from the adventure. Its good that you've mentioned some things I've said time and again. Good for you.

Now, next is the cancelling of your online application. Use the Case Specific Enquiry (CSE) link below:
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=1.63908399.108801500.1431902909

Under Enquiry and type of application: choose 'withdraw of online application', then proceed with a message (1500 characters).

To get your new SIN, find a Service Canada office near you by going to the link below:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc-srch.cgi?app=hme&ln=eng. Go with your new PGWP and passport.

Congratulations once again, I'm glad you made it.

Cheers!

1234plm

May 23, 2015
@ manav.diwan - Can you please let me know the time that you went as it will be really helpful? Thank you!

manav.diwan

Jun 30, 2015
1234plm said:
@ manav.diwan - Can you please let me know the time that you went as it will be really helpful? Thank you!
Hi, i would suggest you go in on any day between 8am to 10am. It is the least busy time and you will get it done relatively quickly. All the best ! :)

sting123

Jul 6, 2015
I got my PGWP yesterday at the Carway border (Alberta). It was an intimidating experience. I crossed over to the US side and informed them that I am here to flagpole. Surprisingly the US CBP officials were friendly and polite. A lady officer issued me a form denying entry into US. Now comes the fun part. I enter the Canadian side only to find that there was nobody at the checkpoint. After waiting for a couple of minutes a CBSA officer showed up. He was rude to say the least. He said they do not process workpermits at this border. I explained the situation to him and said I was here for the PGWP. After this he said it was the wrong time to come to the border as there was a lot of traffic (people waiting for immigration). He asked me to park my car and go inside. I was then asked to wait in a waiting room where I saw the traffic he was referring to. A family of 5 and another person for his PR. I was made to wait for 2 hours before another officer called me and asked me to submit my documents (degree, transcripts, letter from the university, job offer, pay stubs, study permit, off-campus work permit). After this I waited for another hour when I was called again. The officer told me that my new WP was attached to the passport and asked me to pay $255. Another CBSA officer decided to crack a joke and said $255 plus tips. I went outside and checked my WP and luckily it was for 3 years. The reason I said that is a friend of mine who was supposed to come to Carway decided to go to Coutts (AB). The officer there issued a WP for only 22 months as the duration on our program was only 20 months and not 2 years. All said and done I have my WP in hand and can apply for the visa now. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have with regards to flagpoling at the AB border.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
THIS is the problem.

They issued you a permit of only 22 months instead of 36 months, if it was done online, you'd definitely get 3 years.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nevillek said:
THIS is the problem.

They issued you a permit of only 22 months instead of 36 months, if it was done online, you'd definitely get 3 years.
I think you misread Sting123's feedback.
I went outside and checked my WP and luckily it was for 3 years.
He got a 3yr PGWP. It is Sting123's friend that got a 22 month PGWP.

If the program of study is at least eight months but less than two years, then the duration of the work permit should coincide with the duration of the program of study.

The CBSA official was clearly within their mandate to make that call.

However, the other issue that most students don't realize is that they are only required to provide one of two things from their college/university. Either a confirmation letter or an official transcript from their DLI. The disadvantage with the transcript is that it shows the duration of the program. If the CBSA official or CIC processing agent is detail oriented (as they should be), then he/she will make a decision at their discretion.

Confirmation letters are a safer option in my opinion.