+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

dkr1989

Jul 4, 2016
Hello forum friends,

It seems like most of people have applied for BOWP here. I have few question regarding applying for BOWP. My situation is following:
I have an Open Work permit which is due to expire in 4 months. I have Ontario Provincial Nomination and have applied for PNP based PR. I have Acknowledgement of Receipt IRCC for my PR application. Now I want to get an extension of my work permit.

While applying for it online I had to go through some questionnaire and I am a bit confused about the most appropriate answer to few of these questions. I hope some of you having it done can help me with it.

Question: How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
I said: Temporarily - more than 6 months. Other options were Temporarily - less than 6 months or Permanently. If i chose permanently it directs me to the PR application rather than work permit extension so I thought Temporarily - more than 6 months is most relevant given that BOWP is for one year.

Question: Which situation best describes your work situation?
Possible options were:
I'm working under an international trade agreement.
I'm eligible for work permit through an active pilot project
I'm provincial nominee certificate holder
..... them some totally not related options
None of the above
I said: I'm a provincial nominee certificate holder. This was the closest.

Also someone suggested that actually I need to choose my current status as student and not worker because PGWP PGWP comes under student status. Which is very counter intuitive given that I have work permit not study permit and working right now.

Please share any relevant information that you have on it. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!!

PatrickZ

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Hi there, I'm about to complete my master degree this December and I'm still hesitating whether I should do flag pole or just online application. My international student advisor recommend me not to submit my final transcript because I have 2 semesters took only one course which is considered to be part time. Although those 2 semesters are not consecutive (there's a full time coop work term in between) I still want to do it safe. I'm now planning to use my degree completion letter and my offer letter. My offer letter indicates the length of the program, starting date and the full time status of the program. Will I be kinda safe in this case or I have a big risk?

guillecr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2015
Hi, Anybody know how to extend the Post graduate work permit,

My PGWP suppose to be 3 year long but my passport expire after one year i received it. My permit have a note that state.

Document issued ti passport expiry date; must be renewed for further extensions. port graduate work permit.

I would like to know if anybody knows how to do the extension through an online application.

Thanks.

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Hey everyone, I want to apply for PGWP. I completed all my degree requirements this summer and got the official transcript too. However, the letter they issued with the transcript for PGWP states that the degree will be conferred subject to senate's approval. Would this be an issue?

rashidat1997

Sep 22, 2015
refused work permit extension

What do I do?
My application to extend my work permit was refused. The reason was because I did not provide an LMIA exempt ID number and proof of payment by my employer.
I am LMIA exempt and had an open work permit, so i believed this was not a requirement for me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: refused work permit extension

rashidat1997 said:
What do I do?
My application to extend my work permit was refused. The reason was because I did not provide an LMIA exempt ID number and proof of payment by my employer.
I am LMIA exempt and had an open work permit, so i believed this was not a requirement for me.
Under which rule are you LMIA exempt?

guillecr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2015

rashidat1997 said:
Rule C43 for post-graduate work permit holder.

One question.
In the permit, is there any Remark that specify that your post graduate work permit must be renewed? usually post graduate work permit are not renewable otherwise was issue till your passport expiry date and clearly specify in the paper that must be renewed with a new passport.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

rashidat1997 said:
What do I do?
Rashidat1997,

A PGWP is NOT EXTENDABLE and is a one-time opportunity. The ONLY EXCEPTION is if your passport didn't have a longer duration than the expected duration of your PGWP. In this case, once the processing officer determines the number of years to issue on your PGWP, he or she then looks at your passport copy to see if the years on it are enough to coincide with your PGWP years. If the passport expires sooner than the PGWP, then the applicant is issued a shorter PGWP duration up to when the passport expires. Furthermore, the processing officer will indicate on that PGWP, that it can be extended (after the passport has been renewed) to its full intended duration.

If that is the case, that is when the applicant can apply by paper application with all the usual requirements and fees, a precise letter of explanation and a copy of the new passport.

Now, had you applied for PR before the expiry of your PGWP, you would have benefited from applying for a BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit).

Cheers and good luck!

mohsen.k

Nov 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your messages and help here. I and my wife find ourselves in a very distressing situation.
She recently graduated from her masters program but her study permit expired just 4 days before the university issued her the graduation letter.
The letter came on October 4th and permit expired on September 30th.
We did not realize we could not apply for a pgwp with the expired study permit, so we did, and got refused. The refusal letter suggested a restoration but no further details.

I called IRCC and they said we should apply for restoration and extension of study permit, and pgwp again. I mentioned we don't have offer or current enrolment letter anymore because she graduated, and they said this is still what we should do. Pay total of 605, and provide letter explaining why we ended up like this.
A few other people suggested this here and there. Is this the right thing to do? Or should we go get a lawyer now? She is still within the 90-day period after graduation and study permit expiration. Does anyone have any samples or hints for the explanation letter?

Also, I am a PR and we applied for her inland spousal PR which was received on June 10. No more news from that yet.

Please help asap... we have 50 days until the 90 day period is over.

drajay

Oct 8, 2015

jubear said:
Rashidat1997,

A PGWP is NOT EXTENDABLE and is a one-time opportunity. The ONLY EXCEPTION is if your passport didn't have a longer duration than the expected duration of your PGWP. In this case, once the processing officer determines the number of years to issue on your PGWP, he or she then looks at your passport copy to see if the years on it are enough to coincide with your PGWP years. If the passport expires sooner than the PGWP, then the applicant is issued a shorter PGWP duration up to when the passport expires. Furthermore, the processing officer will indicate on that PGWP, that it can be extended (after the passport has been renewed) to its full intended duration.

If that is the case, that is when the applicant can apply by paper application with all the usual requirements and fees, a precise letter of explanation and a copy of the new passport.

Now, had you applied for PR before the expiry of your PGWP, you would have benefited from applying for a BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit).

Cheers and good luck!
Hello Jubear,

If in such a situation, is it possible to apply online for PGWP instead of mail?

Joerod

May 23, 2016
Hi Jubear,

I am aware this is an old post. I need to apply for my PGWP and was thinking of doing flagpoling as the processing time for PGWP is 4 months now and I have to travel at the end of June. I have not received the confirmation letter and transcripts from the university as yet and hence I'm losing time. Can I do flagpoling instead and what are the documents I require now since your post is dated 2015. Thanks a lot for your help.

jubear said:
Vicky,

Yes you can and the good news is that you don't have to be Visa Exempt to apply. The same rule of applying within 90 days will apply. If you decide to go FPg you will need to go with these documents:
1 or 2 as above (safer to have both); and

a- Original passport
b- Current valid SP
c- Credit card/debit card loaded with $255
d- Student ID

Remember that: A PGWP is an open work permit (OWP) and therefore, it allows the holder to work for any employer, in any location, and occupation of choice. Well, apart from sex trade and strip clubs.

Be at the border office between 6am and 10am for quick and easier service. When you arrive tell the receptionist/CBSA Officer that you want to apply for a PGWP and s/he will tell you what to do next. The border officer might ask you a few simple questions such as, "what was the duration of your program?", "Did you study full-time?," etc.
Don't forget that you do not need a job offer to apply for a PGWP. If the officer asks for a letter of employment, politely let them know that you do not need one to apply for a PGWP.

After the PGWP has been printed and shown to you, make sure to check for the following on your WP before you leave the border office;

Employer: UNKNOWN
Employment Location: ANY or UNKNOWN

If it looks different from the above, politely talk to the CBSA officer to change it. Do not assume that they all know the rules of PGWPs.

Cheers!

trvapplicant

Jul 6, 2017
Online application. I called CIC today again and they said my application is pending background check. I dont know what do they do for background check.
Hi Nasif_29,

Could you please let me know how long in total it ended up taking CIC to send you a passport request for your TRV application? I would really appreciate your response, as I am in the same boat now (Applied TRV within Canada and they are doing strange additional verifications that are taking too long. I have a valid PGWP).

Thanks!