+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lets flood CIC with Mandamus

daktrader

Apr 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did write to the media...
Their response was that at the moment they are not in a position to cover my story of delay...they have many stories of that calibre already.
They said they will re-visit my story and others once Bill C-24 has reached the final stage or has passed...
So basically its just a waiting game or file 'Mandamus'

All the Best everyone...

CanuckForEver said:
Daktrader:
why dont you go to media, especially your case is something they will be deeply interested in. Here's one assertive news channel that aggressively confronts Harper government on its beuracracy blunders.

http://www.cbc.ca/thenational/indepthanalysis/gopublic/

or email them at gopublic @ cbc.ca

Send them with as many as supporting information as you can and I hope you find a way out. CBC has already telecast a couple of citizenship delays and those cases got approved immediately. Good luck with your case too! Hope this helps.

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
JoeYYC, please do not mislead applicants from other provinces. applicant from Ontario do not get preferential treatment. I am from Ontario, my citizenship case already lasted more than 31 months and still waiting. not 14 months you have mentioned. as far as I am aware of, st Claire office in Toronto also has severe backlog. walitys is from that office. he waited 36 months and filed mandamus.

JoeYYC said:
So, we have several accounts now that mandamus works. Walitys will get his oath invitation hopefully soon. Not so many mandamus court applications, which means CIC moves applications, before filing of mandamus, while the ones already filed have a good success rate as per the court files. Other members on the other forum such as RobertB and White1970 are filing for mandamus too.

Looks like those Tories, are not interested in shortening the processing time and decreasing the backlog outside Ontario, obviously, because they want to change the landscape in Ontario to their favor, by appeasing immigrants there; while ignoring the other provinces. It is ludicrous to have one office like Mississauga and Scarborough and most of Ontario finalizing applications in 7-9 months for routine applications, and 12-14 months for non-routine applications while other offices finalizing the routine applications in 20, 24 months or more, which is double the time for non-routine applications in Mississauga and Scarborough; while non-routine applications outside Ontario, especially post-test RQs might take 4 or 5 years.

Anyone who is waiting for years for her/his application to finalize, way more than the average processing time, should apply for Mandamus, Lets tell those neocons, immigrants mean business.

JoeYYC

Jan 18, 2014
ZYXWVU98 said:
JoeYYC, please do not mislead applicants from other provinces. applicant from Ontario do not get preferential treatment. I am from Ontario, my citizenship case already lasted more than 31 months and still waiting. not 14 months you have mentioned. as far as I am aware of, st Claire office in Toronto also has severe backlog. walitys is from that office. he waited 36 months and filed mandamus.
I am not misleading applicants.

Lets categorize applications:

1. Post-test RQs; which are further divided into: a) RQs who have the old RQ format (CIT 0171) and applications were filed in 2011 or before: those are taking very long to process their applications, regardless of the province; and yes, Ontario is no different from other provinces. b) RQs who have CIT 0171 and applications were filed in 2012 and after. The processing time for those applications are shorter in Ontario than any other province and the citizenship timeline sheet in the other forum proves it. c) RQs who got the new RQ format (CIT 520) and those application are normally processed very fast after the test. But the problem for Mississauga and Scarborough is that applications need only 7-9 months to get to that level, then test followed by CIT 520, which is processed very fast, assuming no problem in the application, then oath. While for other provinces, they need > 20 moths to get to the test, then CIT 520 which is also processed fast then oath; so you can compare less than 9 months to reach the test in Mississauga, Scarborough and other Ontario offices, with >20 months to reach the test in other provinces. And many RQs nowadays fall in this category.

2. Pre-test RQs; here those applications are sub-categorized into: a) Applicants in 2011 and before with CIT 0171 and those have slow processing time but still faster than post-test RQs, AND Mississauga and Scarborough, and other Ontario offices in general are way faster than other provinces. b) Applications in 2012 and after, with CIT 0171; those applications are way faster for Scarborough and Mississauga, ON than other provinces, and also faster than pre-test RQs, which were filed in 2011 and before and also faster than post-test RQs. c) Applications in 2013 and after with CIT 520 and those are the fastest for all RQs within the same office. But still Mississauga and Scarborough, and Ontario offices in general are faster than any other province.

So, my remarks were generally about new applications rather than old ones where the difference between Ontario with other provinces is striking; nevertheless, if you compared Mississauga, Scarborough, and the rest of Ontario under the same subcategory that I mentioned with other provinces, you can see that Ontario is way faster.

Here, one should ask, why in the world Ontario, which is fully packed with immigrants, has very fast processing times compared to other provinces if you cramped the same subcategories for those offices, with the ones outside Ontario. And the difference between Ontario processing time with other provinces for new applications is staggering. However, the rest of Canada and especially the prairies, which are a conservative heartland, has very slow applications, again if you compared the same sub-category for those offices with Ontario? It seems that conservatives have no political motive to change the landscape in their heartland, while they have all the interest in appeasing immigrants in swinging ridings.

[Edit] Regardless, this is not the purpose of the topic. The purpose is, any citizenship applicant whose application is taking very long time to be processed, should file for Mandamus. Because, CIC has an obligation to process our applications in a timely manner. The processing times for citizenship is unacceptable to a modern country like Canada.

Just my two cents.

Chrysss

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoeYYC said:
I am not misleading applicants.

Lets categorize applications:

1. Post-test RQs; which are further divided into: a) RQs who have the old RQ format (CIT 0171) and applications were filed in 2011 or before: those are taking very long to process their applications, regardless of the province; and yes, Ontario is no different from other provinces. b) RQs who have CIT 0171 and applications were filed in 2012 and after. The processing time for those applications are shorter in Ontario than any other province and the citizenship timeline sheet in the other forum proves it. c) RQs who got the new RQ format (CIT 520) and those application are normally processed very fast after the test.
I did not have pre-test RQ. But it has been 3 months since my test so I think I will get POST-TEST RQ.
So, this means, I'll be either
(b) Post-test RQ with CIT 0171
or
(c) Post-Test RQ with CIT 520

Do you know which one is more likely? And how much processing time for each (CIT-0171 and CIT 520)?
My local office is Scarborough, Ontario. All details in my signature.

moti

Oct 24, 2012
Hi daktrader,
Did you apply for 'case specific ATIp ' ? I called cic after 36 months have passed and they said they ll send an e-mail to local office and if I would not hear anything from them call again after 90 days :( l am hoping to get a test invite :-[

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i did not get either of these. I got CIT 0170 post test RQ last month. Hoping Scarborough to act quickly on it.

Chrysss said:
I did not have pre-test RQ. But it has been 3 months since my test so I think I will get POST-TEST RQ.
or

Do you know which one is more likely? And how much processing time for each (CIT-0171 and CIT 520)?

JoeYYC

Jan 18, 2014
Chrysss said:
or

Do you know which one is more likely?
At this point, only CIC knows, if you will not get RQ, or you will get either of the two forms. Though since you are from Scarborough, I think it is about time to get your oath invitation. Remember, RQ concerned, no news is good news. However, generally speaking, I think CIC is issuing CIT 520 more than CIT 0171, unless, they think the case needs thorough review. Before, they issued CIT 0171 to all RQ recipients, which increased the backlog immensely.

[quote author=Chrysss]
And how much processing time for each (CIT-0171 and CIT 520)?
[/quote]

You still can have the oath without RQ; 3 months is not a long time. Even though, your case is a bit longer than the normal processing time for Scarborough applications. Normally, CIT 520 is processed way faster than CIT 0171.

daktrader

Apr 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied for the 'Case Specific ATIP" along with requesting the CIC Call Ctr to send an email to the local office to get an Update...
And so far it is stated, that the file is in the Review Stage.
No set timeline on the net step.

moti said:
Hi daktrader,
Did you apply for 'case specific ATIp ' ? I called cic after 36 months have passed and they said they ll send an e-mail to local office and if I would not hear anything from them call again after 90 days :( l am hoping to get a test invite :-[

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZYXWVU98 said:
Concur that post test RQd applicants especially those pre OB407 (Pre-Test RQ triage/triggers) of April/May 2012 appear to have uniformity in delay across Canada. Routine cases post OB407 are a different ball game - just check the forum and you have September/October 2013 applicants from Ontario at oath already whereas say Calgary in comparison is just scheduling tests for October 2012 applicants. However way you look at it the system is 'failing' both non Ontario routine applicants and all RQd applicants with inordinate delays - had this been a service provided to Canadian Citizens such as the timeline to be issued passports and there was a 3 times as long to get one issued in say AB/BC relative to ON then some very senior heads would have rolled at Passport Canada with an apology at Ministerial level. Given its just PRs well.......!

As per JoeYYC the main purpose of the thread is on going the Mandamus route. There is sometimes a misconception that WOM equates to approval. It just compels CIC to act on the file which in itself is a win especially if the applicant is not borderline but can prove his/her 1095 days.

JoeYYC

Jan 18, 2014
Msafiri said:
As per JoeYYC the main purpose of the thread is on going the Mandamus route. There is sometimes a misconception that WOM equates to approval. It just compels CIC to act on the file which in itself is a win especially if the applicant is not borderline but can prove his/her 1095 days.
Exactly. Mandamus does not mean automatic approval. Those who pursue Mandamus should have compelling pieces of evidence (active presence in Canada) regarding their residency. We know that walitys JH was tough, but he chose to pursue Mandamus after 36 months, then 6 months for processing his case = 42 months, he is almost done. Since he is a post-test RQ recipient, his case could have lasted for 52 or even 62 months or may be more. IMHO, Mandamus worth it, instead of waiting for an extra year or two or may be more with the frustration of CIC mismanagement, especially when seeing new RQs are processed way faster than old ones. Not sure what kind of logic they have to process the last to come as the first to go; in a reverse manner. We all know that citizenship is a privilege, but processing citizenship applications in a timely manner is a right.

daktrader

Apr 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi JoeYYC ,

What is your timeline and local office?

JoeYYC said:
Exactly. Mandamus does not mean automatic approval. Those who pursue Mandamus should have compelling pieces of evidence (active presence in Canada) regarding their residency. We know that walitys JH was tough, but he chose to pursue Mandamus after 36 months, then 6 months for processing his case = 42 months, he is almost done. Since he is a post-test RQ recipient, his case could have lasted for 52 or even 62 months or may be more. IMHO, Mandamus worth it, instead of waiting for an extra year or two or may be more with the frustration of CIC mismanagement, especially when seeing new RQs are processed way faster than old ones. Not sure what kind of logic they have to process the last to come as the first to go; in a reverse manner. We all know that citizenship is a privilege, but processing citizenship applications in a timely manner is a right.

Mary Chad

Jan 24, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree...i am waiting 2 more months before going for WOM,already waited 38 months, Called Cic, they still haven't assigned officer for RQ review,so
it seems going to court is my only option.

moti

Oct 24, 2012
Hey Mary, I think that's the only option left for us who have been waiting for more than 36 months. can we go for WMO as a group ?

allyp

Mar 15, 2013
moti said:
Hey Mary, I think that's the only option left for us who have been waiting for more than 36 months. can we go for WMO as a group ?
Second that. If not filing as a group, we can file individually but look at getting a group discount from the lawyer. If we can have 5 to 10 applicants, we can talk to lawyers for a group disc.