+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leon, BCGuy - questions regarding P.E. License.

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
I have received my nomination from Alberta, and I have applied for CIC. I have a masters' degree in Industrial Engg from a highly recognized university in the US. I have over 7 years of experience in the US. I have multiple professional certifications from the professional society in my field - American Society for Quality.

Unlike Canada, Engineering is not a regulated occupation in the US, hence I never bothered with getting my P.E. certification. I understand that I would probably need to be a licensed engineer with APEGGA in order to be employed as as Engineer in Alberta. I am wondering if I need to be working on that aspect while I am waiting for the CIC process.

I have gone through their web site, and I am having trouble finalizing my plan of action. Would it be better to get my P.E. in the states and then provide that documentation to APEGGA or I should get a "Provisional License". I am not sure how A Provisional License would add value since "Provisional Licensee must practice under the supervision and control of a professional member or a registered professional technologist and as such is not entitled to hold a permit to practice with APEGGA."
http://www.apegga.org/Applicants/pdf/PLIC_FAQs.pdf

They use the terms "North American experience" and "Canadian experience" interchangeably. Will my American experience be considered ""North American" enough?

I do not mind taking a couple exams, but I'd be very disappointing if they make me take a bunch of exams and make me work as an "Apprentice" for a year or more under a "licensed" engineer who probably would have less experience and/or education than me.

I would highly appreciate it if you give me some advice regarding this aspect.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it might depend on the employer completely what they make you do. If they need and recognize your skills, they will probably give you real work but if you have licensing issues, they may have to at least officially put you under somebody else.

I knew a woman from Romania who was working on licensing and she said she had to take 12 module tests but she was also going from one type of engineering to another. She was some type of wood engineer going to civil engineering. In the meantime, she worked as a draftsman and was doing tests on her offtime while juggling a husband and a small child. She'd taken about 6 module exams over 2 or 3 years. So say you have less module exams to get licensed in your own field and you can devote a bit more time for it, it might not be a big deal.

bendjoe

Aug 23, 2008
nomad_musafir said:
Any other fellow applicants thinking about APEGGA?
I am a Controls Engineer by education but ended up working as an IT Consultant after my Masters in 2006. I have a plan to slowly become a full time Controls Engineer. I mailed the APEGGA people they suggested to send my transcripts for evaluation and then they will assign tests. So it will depend on how many tests I will have to take, like you said if the number of tests are too many then I might continue on with a coding career and forget about life as an Engineer.

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
bendjoe,

thank you for the response.

i assume you got your masters' degree in the states. correct?
did they need your transcripts for only masters or bachelors also?

procan

Star Member
Mar 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2009
Doc's Request.
05-11-2009
Nomination.....
17-11-2009 CIC App. Filed.: 12-03-2010
AOR Received.
28-06-2010
Med's Request
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
25-08-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2011
LANDED..........
23-06-2011
nomad_musafir said:
bendjoe,

Hello nomad_musafir,
I am almost in the same boat as you. I got my MS in Mechanical Engineering in US. I got some 8 years of work experience in Quality/Process and Lean Manufacturing. I am ASQ certified Six Sigma Black Belt (it expired) and now cerified Lean Sigma Black Belt (through my current company).

I wanted to know if I am going to be in the line of Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing, do I still have to go through this PE license?
I dont have any intention to write any more exams or work as a trainee anymore...

Please advise.

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
Procan,

Good to meet fellow Quality people :)
I am ASQ CQE, CQA, SSGB, and SSBB; APICS CPIM; and RAB trained Lead Auditor.
I am not sure, but I'd guess we would need to be licensed if the title has an "engineer" in it. I am OK with taking 1 or 2 exams, but the 1 year "provisional" thing under some other "engineer" bugs me.

bendjoe

Aug 23, 2008
sdesh005 said:
So folks in the IT industry do not have to worry about the APEGGA licensing, correct?
Yes APEGGA licensing applies to Engineers only.
Developers, QAs, Designers, DBAs, Architects won't need license. Actually a big blessing for IT fellas.

bendjoe

Aug 23, 2008
nomad_musafir said:
bendjoe,

Masters from states.
Both. Infact Bachelors is what they will be more interested in since you learn all the fundamentals in Bachelors.

You might not need a license with your experience and all the Belts.
Try to e-mail them they replied to me pretty fast.

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
thanks bendjoe (newest mr. hero member)

i'll send them an e-mail as you suggested. did you send the transcripts in an e-mail? or they need official "sealed" paper transcripts.

bendjoe

Aug 23, 2008
nomad_musafir said:
thanks bendjoe (newest mr. hero member)

i'll send them an e-mail as you suggested. did you send the transcripts in an e-mail? or they need official "sealed" paper transcripts.
They need transcripts sent directly from Schools.

procan

Star Member
Mar 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2009
Doc's Request.
05-11-2009
Nomination.....
17-11-2009 CIC App. Filed.: 12-03-2010
AOR Received.
28-06-2010
Med's Request
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
25-08-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2011
LANDED..........
23-06-2011
bendjoe said:
nomad_musafir said:
bendjoe,

Masters from states.
Both. Infact Bachelors is what they will be more interested in since you learn all the fundamentals in Bachelors.

You might not need a license with your experience and all the Belts.
Try to e-mail them they replied to me pretty fast.
Thanks bendjoe & nomad_musafir :)

Anyway I applied for AiNP only recently (Mar 24). Does it make any sense to email them now only?
Also, If we get a job offer, do we still need to get the license to work?
Or the license is to get only the regulated jobs?

Please advise.

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
i would think, it might be too early for you. i do not have answers to your questions, i'm searching for the same myself. engineering is a regulated occupation, and it seems like you need a license to practice enginering.