+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Length of stay allowed before

tsairamesh

May 9, 2013
I want to know will i have any problem migrating to Canada.

I had received my PR card on 30th Aug 2010 when I made my first landing.
there after i didn't travel to Canada since 2010 to 2012.
Now I am finally decided to move to Canada permanently .
Will I have any problem as i didn't visit Canada every year after I have my PR card.
will this effect my PR status.
Appreciate your help

fuad1980

Star Member
May 3, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
21 June 2014
LANDED..........
18 July 2014
Hi tsairamesh,

As far as I know your PR Card should be valid until 30th Aug 2015 (It has 5 years duration). So you still have 2.5 years before the PR Card get expired. In this instance, you should not have any problem while entering Canada now.

Wish you good luck and a happy, prosperous life in Canada.

Regards,
Fuad

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
Assuming you were in Canada when the PR card was received, you shouldn't have a problem returning since it is less than 3 years since you were away from Canada. If you are away from Canada for more than 3 years, then you would be in breach of residency obligations.

fuad1980's post suggests that you could return anytime before PR card expiry, which is not correct.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
tsairamesh, the only thing I would add to what hobbes said is that you try to avoid making any more trips outside of Canada if you plan to apply for citizenship. A lot of citizenship applicants are getting Residency Questionnaires even when they have met the 1095-day requirement, which is slowing down an already painfully slow process.

tsairamesh

May 9, 2013
Thanks a ton, you guys are great !!
I will keep you posted on my travel... Good bless you all
this forum is of great help to people like me.
brgds
tsai

fuad1980

Star Member
May 3, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
21 June 2014
LANDED..........
18 July 2014
hobbes said:
Assuming you were in Canada when the PR card was received, you shouldn't have a problem returning since it is less than 3 years since you were away from Canada. If you are away from Canada for more than 3 years, then you would be in breach of residency obligations.

fuad1980's post suggests that you could return anytime before PR card expiry, which is not correct.
Hi,

Sorry for creating the confusion. I mean tsairamesh can enter Canada without any problem (provided travelling now) as he/she is away from Canada for less then 3 years. After 3 years you can still enter Canada (until the validity of your PR) but might get reported by immigration officer for breaching the residency requirement.

Regards,
Fuad

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The residency requirements state that you must have 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR and you can still meet that requirement.

Further, you must have 730 days in any rolling 5 year period in the future, that is once you are a PR for more than 5 years, the days you stayed in Canada in the beginning start moving outside the 5 year window and will need to be replaced with new days in Canada.

tsairamesh

May 9, 2013
Guys
Thanks for all the help, I have finally made the move and now in canada.
Thanks for the great help , good bless you all
Brgds
tsai