+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Length of being a Canadian Citizen & Use of Representative questions.

stealth

Star Member
Sep 3, 2008
OK I have two questions here.

1. I am a born Canadian, and in the place where it asks how long I have been a Canadian citizen, do I just put my birth date?

2. I helped my wife fill out the application for sponsoring her, should I put down that I am her representative, since I did most of the work?

Thanks.

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
1. Yes.

2. Yes, appoint yourself as her representative. It has nothing to do with the fact that you filled most of the forms, but that if YOU want to call immigration to find out more information, even though you are the sponsor, you need to be named as the rep of the principal applicant if you want to get information. Hope that makes sense. Use of rep is mainly for communicating with immigration.

houjohn2008

Feb 24, 2009
I just sent the papers for sponsoring my husband., and didn't send use of representative. does that mean I won't be able to check the process status of the papers?

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
houjohn-

You can, of course, check the status online since that doesn't require a Use of Rep, just the file number and some other information about the principal applicant.

If you want to call the CIC call centre or a local office to discuss details of the application, then you will need a Use of Rep which you can fax to the local office (if they request it), or send it in. They can "marry" it with your file, since the client ID etc needs to go on the form. You could also attach a letter with information of names of applicant & sponsor, dates of birth and what/when the applicant was submitted, and they'll add it to your file.