+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving the country while waiting for PGWP extension

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
This is my case:

- I have a PGWP that expires by the end of September 2023.
- I was invited to opt-in to extend my PGWP, but I couldn't because of my passport expiration date.
- I renewed my passport and on June 29 I applied for the extension through GCKey.
- I got the WP-EXT letter on June 30.
- I am currently working in Ontario, and my employer wants to send me for a training to the US in August (before my current PGWP expires).

There's a section in the WP-EXT letter that says:
If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working.
I am not sure if I'm already considered as in "maintained status" or if I will be until my current PGWP expires in September. Can I leave the country, come back to Canada and continue working?

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
This is my case:

- I have a PGWP that expires by the end of September 2023.
- I was invited to opt-in to extend my PGWP, but I couldn't because of my passport expiration date.
- I renewed my passport and on June 29 I applied for the extension through GCKey.
- I got the WP-EXT letter on June 30.
- I am currently working in Ontario, and my employer wants to send me for a training to the US in August (before my current PGWP expires).

There's a section in the WP-EXT letter that says:

I am not sure if I'm already considered as in "maintained status" or if I will be until my current PGWP expires in September. Can I leave the country, come back to Canada and continue working?

Yes, you're good! Not sure if you'll be considered to be on maintained status, since your WP is stil valid and will be at the time you come back. Regardless, it doesnt change the fact that you have valid status in Canada. You can go and come back with no issue. Make sure your TRV is valid so you can board the plane back to Canada.

Re-enter Canada as a temporary resident
Applicants may be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident pending a decision on the extension of their study permit or work permit in Canada, provided they are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt as per section R190 or hold a valid multiple-entry visa. The border services officer will set the period of authorized stay on entry.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Reactions: andrews17