+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel outside Canada with a non-expired work permit after applying for work permit extension?

karthyuom

Nov 12, 2023
Hi,

I am currently working and holding valid work permit which is about to expire in February 2024. Also, I have a valid TRV until Feb. 2024. But, I am planning to apply to extend my work permit soon and planning to travel outside Canada and return to Canada before my current work permit or TRV expires.

I have following questions about this situation:
1. Am I considered "Implied status" as soon as I apply for the extension or considered "Implied status" only after the current work permit expiry?
2. When I return to Canada, can I still return as worker by showing the current non-expired work permit? (note I also have valid TRV)
3. Do I need to inform at the port of entry that I already applied for extension and get a new work permit issued in order to continue work legally?

I already checked the official IRCC website for the above, but I am confused with the following two answers given there:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

a. Travelling outside Canada while your work permit is being processed:
If we haven’t made a decision on your work permit, you may be allowed to come back to Canada as a visitor. If this is the case, you can’t work until you get your new work permit."
b. May I leave, then re-enter Canada, if I still have a valid work permit?
Yes. To return to Canada to work, you must have a valid travel document.

I would appreciate your answers, if you guys have the similar experience before. thanks.

Last edited:

New22

Oct 13, 2023
Hi,

I am currently working and holding valid work permit which is about to expire in February 2024. Also, I have a valid TRV until Feb. 2024. But, I am planning to apply to extend my work permit soon and planning to travel outside Canada and return to Canada before my current work permit or TRV expires.

1. Am I considered "Implied status" as soon as I apply for the extension or considered "Implied status" only after the current work permit expiry?
2. When I return to Canada, can I still return as worker by showing the current non-expired work permit? (note I also have valid TRV)
3. Do I need to inform at the port of entry that I already applied for extension and get a new work permit issued in order to continue work legally?

I already checked the official IRCC website for the above, but I am confused with the following two answers given there:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

If we haven’t made a decision on your work permit, you may be allowed to come back to Canada as a visitor. If this is the case, you can’t work until you get your new work permit."

I would appreciate your answers, if you guys have the similar experience before. thanks.
My case is similar to yours.
Please let me know if you have answers.

Reactions: karthyuom

sSSspidermanNNn

Dec 17, 2023
I’m in a similar situation as the OP. I re-entered Canada on the last day of my WP with a pending application, and I was allowed to enter as a foreign worker.

I’m super confused with this Q&A: https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=190&top=17

Am I eligible to continue working till a decision is made?
Yes. I’m eligible. For the other readers, I consulted with a lawyer, and confirmed that I’m eligible to work until a decision is made.

karthyuom

Nov 12, 2023
Thanks @sSSspidermanNNn for sharing the details. So, it means, as long as the current work permit is not expired, we can leave and re-enter Canada as a worker even if we apply to renew the work permit. Probably, we shouldn’t leave Canada if the current work permit expired and renewal application is in progress, since it is considered “implied status.”

Last edited:
Reactions: sSSspidermanNNn

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
This is my personal experience:

I had a PGWP valid until September 2023. In July, I applied for an extension and received the WP-ext letter. By the end of August, I travelled to the US (flight) and came back within a week. I showed my valid PGWP at the airport and no questions were asked.

This is a friend's personal experience:

He had a SOWP valid until August 2023. In June, he (and his wife) applied for an extension and received the WP-ext letter. By the end of July, he crossed the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, spent the day in the US side, and went back by the end of the day. While going through immigration on the Canadian side, the officer questioned the fact that he was reentering Canada with a WP expiring so soon, and asked if he had plans to leave Canada by August. When he mentioned he had applied for an extension, they asked for the hard copy but he didn't have it. They finally accepted the digital copy on his phone, but they said he should have had the hard copy of his letter.

Both work permits and TRVs were valid upon reentering Canada, but the situation was handled differently by the two officers.

Hope this helps.

Itwasnotme

Feb 13, 2024
Hi,

Hi there,

were you able to travel? could you please share your experience?

Is it possible to travel, return and keep working if you applied for a work permit extension but at the moment of return, your initial work permit and TRV are still valid?

Did you find anything regarding this?

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
Hi there,

were you able to travel? could you please share your experience?

Is it possible to travel, return and keep working if you applied for a work permit extension but at the moment of return, your initial work permit and TRV are still valid?

Did you find anything regarding this?
I was able to travel to India without any issues. On my return, I had filled out ArriveCan form and did faceless immigration at Toronto Airport. Since there was no interaction with any immigration agent, I didn't have to face any queries and just walked out.

I returned back on 17-Jan by air to Toronto Airport. My work permit and TRV were valid till 20-Jan. I had filed for my WP extension on 9-Oct-23 and it's still under processing.

Reactions: andrews17

Itwasnotme

Feb 13, 2024
I was able to travel to India without any issues. On my return, I had filled out ArriveCan form and did faceless immigration at Toronto Airport. Since there was no interaction with any immigration agent, I didn't have to face any queries and just walked out.

I returned back on 17-Jan by air to Toronto Airport. My work permit and TRV were valid till 20-Jan. I had filed for my WP extension on 9-Oct-23 and it's still under processing.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

May I ask you how does immigration faceless works?; I have entered Canada 4 times and have always done through a border officer (even filling out ArriveCan).

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
Thanks for sharing your experience.

May I ask you how does immigration faceless works?; I have entered Canada 4 times and have always done through a border officer (even filling out ArriveCan).
Filled out the information on ArriveCan and got the reference number. Upon landing, went to the faceless Kiosk, used the ArriveCan reference number, verified my prefilled information, automatic photo on machine and got a receipt from the kiosk. Exited through immigration by showing receipt to the officer, who looked at it for a second and put a cross mark on the receipt and proceeded forward to luggage collection. Handed over the receipt to the custom officer after collecting luggage. No questions or additional verification / questioning was done at any point.

Reactions: Itwasnotme

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
Had the same experience and consulted with a lawyer. No problem entering Canada with a valid work permit, after applying for an extension without a final decision made. You are considered in maintained status, after the current work permit expires. Before that, you can travel and come back with your valid work permit without problem.

Reactions: Itwasnotme

hemalcanadavisa

Star Member
May 19, 2018
PGWP expiring August 2024 due to passport expiry.
Currently in India with renewed passport and returning soon with valid work permit and TRV.

Can I ask for extension of remaining work permit at the airport?