+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada with PR, no PRTD

amos13

Feb 25, 2021
Hi all,

I already have PR/landed in Canada but I have a dillema involving plans to see some family+relatives in November. I am visiting France but I do not have my PR card yet and i've been waiting on it since June 28th. I am a US citizen but I do not know where to start. I've read on the IRCC's webpage that I can technically leave Canada and that I just need a PRTD. If I were to apply for a PRTD where would I begin? Can I apply for a PRTD while inside Canada in advance? How long does it usually take to process a PRTD if I am abroad?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I have a dillema where I am planned to see some family+relatives in November. I am visiting France but I do not have my PR card yet and i've been waiting on it since June 28th. I am a US citizen but I do not know where to start. I've read on the IRCC's webpage that I can technically leave Canada and that I just need a PRTD. If I were to apply for a PRTD where would I begin? Can I apply for a PRTD while inside Canada in advance? How long does it usually take to process a PRTD if I am abroad?
Yes, you can just leave.

You cannot apply for a PRTD from within Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD once you are outside of Canada. I would plan on the PRTD taking at least a couple of weeks but longer is certainly possible.

If you don't have a PR card and don't have time to get a PRTD, then one option would be to fly to the US on the way back and then to re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle.

Janki Rathod

Oct 13, 2021
Yes, you can just leave.

You cannot apply for a PRTD from within Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD once you are outside of Canada. I would plan on the PRTD taking at least a couple of weeks but longer is certainly possible.

If you don't have a PR card and don't have time to get a PRTD, then one option would be to fly to the US on the way back and then to re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle.
Hi, Is the border open? Can we travel in and out Canada to USA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I already have PR/landed in Canada but I have a dillema involving plans to see some family+relatives in November. I am visiting France but I do not have my PR card yet and i've been waiting on it since June 28th. I am a US citizen but I do not know where to start. I've read on the IRCC's webpage that I can technically leave Canada and that I just need a PRTD. If I were to apply for a PRTD where would I begin? Can I apply for a PRTD while inside Canada in advance? How long does it usually take to process a PRTD if I am abroad?
As a US citizen can’t you can fly into Canada using your US passport?