+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada during PR app process - after AIP

nailiL

Apr 17, 2012
Hi,

So first of all here is my situation:

I am in the process of my applicatio for permanent residence. My spouse is a protected person and she included me in her application. We got AIP in November 2011. Ever since we have been waiting for the background checks to finish processing.
The thing is, I really want to visit my family in europe this summer. I thought I would have my PR card by then, but as it seems the average time is about 10 months after AIP so that would be august/september.
Can I leave the country even without my PR card? I spoke to a call centre agent today and she said that it's a risk and I know that, it is always up to the immigration officer to let me back into the country. However she said she's see no reasons why i shouldnt get readmitted back in the country - I have AIP, i am not the protected person but a dependant, I am a german citizen so I dont need a visa but just my passport. I will should receive a new work permit shortly, and I will start attending university this September so depending on how fast I will get it I will also have a study permit.
So what do you think, honestly, how my chances are? I know that it's a risk and nothing will be guaranteed. Does anyone have experience with leaving and reentering canada during the application process?

Also, do you know what the next step after the background check usually is? I did medicals, relationship proof, fingerprints and all that stuff aready and the call centre people always tell me that "everything looks good and complete", so i am hoping that the next step will be the landing interview? How long does it usually take until the date of the interview? As in, when i get the letter - will the interview be in 2 weeks, 1 month or 3 months, you know? And I live in Toronto, is it going to be here or somewhere else?

Okay I think that's it for now. Any help would be appreciated SO MUCH. I am tired of all this waiting and I'm sure you all know what that feels like...
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are visa exempt, it is not a big risk that you will not be let back in. However, even if it is not a big risk, is it really necessary to visit for summer? What if you visit for xmas and new years instead?

Reactions: Seej

nailiL

Apr 17, 2012
it is important for me that i visit this summer because winter might be too late. i have a grandfather who is very old and i want to see him again before it is too late. but i dont want to not be readmitted into the country on my return so i want to know what my chances are and what i need to do to reduce the risk of this happening. thank you

Woman_USA_to_Canada

May 7, 2009
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
24-Apr-2011
LANDED..........
16-May-2012
From my understanding (after speaking with an Immigration Representative and a supervisor at a border crossing) they are reluctant to let you back in, even with AIP, unless you have re-entry documents. The reason being is that you cannot enter under the pretences of visiting/working/etc... (whichever is your original entry reason) because your status here in Canada has changed (married, applying for PR). Therefore, you cannot satisfy to a border agent that your intention is to leave at the end of your permitted time (expiration of visitor's record, work permit, etc...). A work permit, visitor's record (extension to stay) and not even the AIP letter grant you re-entry and you are subject to the mercy of the border agent on duty.

Personally, I would not chance it. I would wait until I was a landed PR before attempting to travel. It seems that you are expecting your PR to not be too much longer after your intended visit. It may be wise to wait a few weeks.

I wish you the best.