+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after oath before citizenship certificate arrives and without passport

ns0508

Sep 26, 2020
Hi Folks,

Just want to understand if I can travel to India before I receive my citizenship certificate?

Here is my scenario:
  1. Citizenship has been granted recently (May 2023) but my citizenship certificate is misplaced.
  2. I have submitted an application for 'Proof of Citizenship' (New Citizenship Certificate) last month in mid June, processing time for which is currently 10 months.
  3. Need a Citizenship Certificate to apply for a Canadian Passport.
  4. I have a valid Indian Passport which has not been surrendered yet as I do not have a Canadian Passport.
  5. Need to visit India in 1st week of October.
Ques: Can I travel to India on my Indian Passport? What proof can I use to enter Canada on my return? Can I contact IRCC for urgent processing- does that help/ way to contact them?

Any input would be highly appreciated. Sort of in a crisis situation right now. Not sure of the next steps here :(

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi Folks,

Just want to understand if I can travel to India before I receive my citizenship certificate?

Here is my scenario:
  1. Citizenship has been granted recently (May 2023) but my citizenship certificate is misplaced.
  2. I have submitted an application for 'Proof of Citizenship' (New Citizenship Certificate) last month in mid June, processing time for which is currently 10 months.
  3. Need a Citizenship Certificate to apply for a Canadian Passport.
  4. I have a valid Indian Passport which has not been surrendered yet as I do not have a Canadian Passport.
  5. Need to visit India in 1st week of October.
Ques: Can I travel to India on my Indian Passport? What proof can I use to enter Canada on my return? Can I contact IRCC for urgent processing- does that help/ way to contact them?

Any input would be highly appreciated. Sort of in a crisis situation right now. Not sure of the next steps here :(
No you can’t use Indian pass now to travel back to India. You have to surrender it . You can’t request urgent processing however sending webform or talking to your local MP would help . Your PR is invalid and cannot be used to travel back .