+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after oath before citizenship certificate arrives and without passport

bluecheese123

Feb 24, 2021
Can any Indian passport holder with US Visa confirm if they left Canada by land border into the US after getting the citizenship certificate and before applying for passport? Is it allowed? Do we need to prepare any other documents? I know Indian passport is valid for 3 months after becoming Canadian citizenship but would US allow it to enter within those three months? Appreciate if you could confirm.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Can any Indian passport holder with US Visa confirm if they left Canada by land border into the US after getting the citizenship certificate and before applying for passport? Is it allowed? Do we need to prepare any other documents? I know Indian passport is valid for 3 months after becoming Canadian citizenship but would US allow it to enter within those three months? Appreciate if you could confirm.
Indian passport doest get invalid just like that or just because you didnt surrender it within 3 months.
Many, including myself will be traveling back to US after oath and will be back to Canada via road to apply for passport and will return to US and after that i will be applying for oci, entry visa.

Passport is valid till you surrender. Just dont travel to India to avoid headaches at border immigration. Traveling between US and Canada is non-issue with Indian passport.

Reactions: bluecheese123

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Has your oath been scheduled? How do you plan on applying for Canadian passport if you leave?

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Indian passport doest get invalid just like that or just because you didnt surrender it within 3 months.
Many, including myself will be traveling back to US after oath and will be back to Canada via road to apply for passport and will return to US and after that i will be applying for oci, entry visa.

Passport is valid till you surrender. Just dont travel to India to avoid headaches at border immigration. Traveling between US and Canada is non-issue with Indian passport.
@harirajmohan , do you see any issues if we apply for the Canadian passport from the US? Just wondering because you are again going back to Canada for applying passport.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@harirajmohan , do you see any issues if we apply for the Canadian passport from the US? Just wondering because you are again going back to Canada for applying passport.
I go to Canada to save time if i apply in-person as i am at border city detroit. Not because of avoiding to mail. My family wants to go to India this summer hence not much time to get through too many things by mail.
Nowadays it takes months if we mail to Canada(doesnt matter if we apply via mail from inside Canada or from US as it takes months for both residents and assuming same for US residents as well). Even applying via service canada in-person takes time. So i am going to give it a shot by visiting windsor passport office walk-in and i dont know if they will allow me to apply in-person for non-residents but i will be trying.

Surely you can mail them to canada but wait time is high right now. US residents have to mail as we dont have choice.

Between these 2 countries, passports can be mailed freely. No restriction.

Last edited:
Reactions: greencard14

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
I go to Canada to save time if i apply in-person as i am at border city detroit. Not because of avoiding to mail. My family wants to go to India this summer hence not much time to get through too many things by mail.
Nowadays it takes months if we mail to Canada(doesnt matter if we apply via mail from inside Canada or from US as it takes months for both residents and assuming same for US residents as well). Even applying via service canada in-person takes time. So i am going to give it a shot by visiting windsor passport office walk-in and i dont know if they will allow me to apply in-person for non-residents but i will be trying.

Surely you can mail them to canada but wait time is high right now. US residents have to mail as we dont have choice.

Thank you!

svk1520

Dec 25, 2017

hi @harirajmohan - i think I am also in same situation. I have India return flight ticket in June from US . After our oath gets done in May, we are planning to use our Indian passport to travel to India and then come back to USA in July. After coming back in July, we will then apply for Canada passport. Do you think that would be a problem? Please share your thoughts..

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
hi @harirajmohan - i think I am also in same situation. I have India return flight ticket in June from US . After our oath gets done in May, we are planning to use our Indian passport to travel to India and then come back to USA in July. After coming back in July, we will then apply for Canada passport. Do you think that would be a problem? Please share your thoughts..
Indian consulates are not really confirming the 3 month grace period hence not sure.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
This is the closest I could find:
https://cgivancouver.gov.in/pages.php?id=47

Says can use for 3 months for travel.

Reactions: svk1520

svk1520

Dec 25, 2017
Indian consulates are not really confirming the 3 month grace period hence not sure.
Ok, but after the oath you and your wife would still use the Indian passport to return to US right? Because me and my wife would be doing that. Once my friend receives the certificate then need to decide what to do, apply from US or drive to Canada and apply same day

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ok, but after the oath you and your wife would still use the Indian passport to return to US right? Because me and my wife would be doing that. Once my friend receives the certificate then need to decide what to do, apply from US or drive to Canada and apply same day
Yes will be using between these 2 countries for few times in the span of few weeks, not just for returning to US, will be using to come to Canada 1-2 times to apply for passport and before that for checking my post office mailbox(for receiving certificate in the mail).
I am trying to avoid Indian border to avoid issues as they can only control there.

Reactions: svk1520

svk1520

Dec 25, 2017
Yes will be using between these 2 countries for few times in the span of few weeks, not just for returning to US, will be using to come to Canada 1-2 times to apply for passport and before that for checking my post office mailbox(for receiving certificate in the mail).
I am trying to avoid Indian border to avoid issues as they can only control there.
Thanks, I think I will also follow this process where we will cross land border using the citizenship certificate to get same day passport. do u plan to show a return flight ticket (obviously we will not use the flight as we will drive back)

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks, I think I will also follow this process where we will cross land border using the citizenship certificate to get same day passport. do u plan to show a return flight ticket (obviously we will not use the flight as we will drive back)
I am planning to try to get passport in 2 weeks, not same day.

bluecheese123

Feb 24, 2021
Anyone here applied for I-485 (GC) in the US while citizenship is pending? Please let me know, I have a few questions. Is it ok to get Canadian passport while I-485 is pending in the US which has Indian passport details?

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Anyone here applied for I-485 (GC) in the US while citizenship is pending? Please let me know, I have a few questions. Is it ok to get Canadian passport while I-485 is pending in the US which has Indian passport details?
Not sure about 485 specifically but people receive new passport details all the time while their USCIS petitions are pending. Since the green card visa allocation is based on the place of birth, can't think of a reason why it'd be a problem even for 485. If you really want to be sure, get the Canadian passport and wait to get your GC before surrendering your current passport.

Your employer's attorney should be able to give you the final word on this.

Reactions: delray55