+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after applying for PR Experience class

Jiggsvan

Mar 6, 2013
Hi everyone,

I could do with some advice as I'm struggling to find answers specific to my situation. I've been working in Canada for over 3 years and applied for PR under the Canadian Experience Class last September. I applied from within Canada and received a letter mid October to say my application was complete and was being forwarded to a visa office for processing. While I've been here I've been supported by my employer with work permits but last week it become clear I'm going to be made redundant soon as my position is no longer needed. Since my work permit is tied to my current job getting another position in Canada looks like a very hard sell given the need for a new LMO. I'm getting to grips with the idea of leaving in the coming months and allowing this application to process but I'm worried that my current PR application will become invalid if I leave. I'm ok with the idea of spending a year elsewhere but I don't want to give up on my Canadian PR application. Everything I find on the CIC website talks about the online change of address process being for addresses within Canada. I can provide an address here where I can pick up my mail but I don't know if this is ok if I'm no longer physically in the country. I can never get talking to anyone in the CIC so is there an alternative source of information? Also am I correct in thinking an LMO is my only option for a new work permit?

Appreciate anyone who's taken time to read this far.

Thanks

Canadavisa07

Oct 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2012
AOR Received.
23-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
22-05-2013
Med's Done....
27-05-2013
Passport Req..
30-07-2013
Jiggsvan said:
Hi everyone,

I could do with some advice as I'm struggling to find answers specific to my situation. I've been working in Canada for over 3 years and applied for PR under the Canadian Experience Class last September. I applied from within Canada and received a letter mid October to say my application was complete and was being forwarded to a visa office for processing. While I've been here I've been supported by my employer with work permits but last week it become clear I'm going to be made redundant soon as my position is no longer needed. Since my work permit is tied to my current job getting another position in Canada looks like a very hard sell given the need for a new LMO. I'm getting to grips with the idea of leaving in the coming months and allowing this application to process but I'm worried that my current PR application will become invalid if I leave. I'm ok with the idea of spending a year elsewhere but I don't want to give up on my Canadian PR application. Everything I find on the CIC website talks about the online change of address process being for addresses within Canada. I can provide an address here where I can pick up my mail but I don't know if this is ok if I'm no longer physically in the country. I can never get talking to anyone in the CIC so is there an alternative source of information? Also am I correct in thinking an LMO is my only option for a new work permit?

Thanks
Don't worry. Your application will still be processed even if you leave Canada. Once you return, you can let CIC know of your appropriate mailing address and they will update the same in their records.

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jiggsvan said:
Hi everyone,

I could do with some advice as I'm struggling to find answers specific to my situation. I've been working in Canada for over 3 years and applied for PR under the Canadian Experience Class last September. I applied from within Canada and received a letter mid October to say my application was complete and was being forwarded to a visa office for processing. While I've been here I've been supported by my employer with work permits but last week it become clear I'm going to be made redundant soon as my position is no longer needed. Since my work permit is tied to my current job getting another position in Canada looks like a very hard sell given the need for a new LMO. I'm getting to grips with the idea of leaving in the coming months and allowing this application to process but I'm worried that my current PR application will become invalid if I leave. I'm ok with the idea of spending a year elsewhere but I don't want to give up on my Canadian PR application. Everything I find on the CIC website talks about the online change of address process being for addresses within Canada. I can provide an address here where I can pick up my mail but I don't know if this is ok if I'm no longer physically in the country. I can never get talking to anyone in the CIC so is there an alternative source of information? Also am I correct in thinking an LMO is my only option for a new work permit? You may be wrong in thinking this

Thanks
When does your current work permit expire? You might be eligible to apply for a bridging open work permit, meaning no LMO required and you would be able to work for any employer http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Jiggsvan said:
applied for PR under the Canadian Experience Class last September. I applied from within Canada and received a letter mid October to say my application was complete and was being forwarded to a visa office for processing.

That was your "acknowledgement of receipt" or AOR. You don't say when your current work permit expires, but if you are within 4 months of its expiration date, you can apply for the bridging open work permit, follow the information in the link provided by Jiggsvan. And then read the posts on this site pertaining to applying for the BOWP.

I'm getting to grips with the idea of leaving in the coming months and allowing this application to process but I'm worried that my current PR application will become invalid if I leave.

Under CEC class applications, there is no requirement to stay in Canada or be employed - you must be eligible on the date that you apply, what happens after isn't considered (unless you start robbing banks or something.). So, it is perfectly OK to leave if that is what you want. You would simply communicate your new address directly to the visa office (presumably, CPP-O).

Jiggsvan

Mar 6, 2013
Canadavisa07 said:
Don't worry. Your application will still be processed even if you leave Canada. Once you return, you can let CIC know of your appropriate mailing address and they will update the same in their records.
Thanks Canadavisa07. Good to hear.

Jiggsvan

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks GinnyPi and jes_ON. My WP expires in June so I'm within the 4 month period now. I'm going to apply for this bridging permit right away so it processes while I wrap up my current role. I hadn't seen this bulletin before and it really makes a huge difference to my situation and gives me options without having to move on top of everything else. Thanks again for the great advice.

hparacha

Nov 4, 2012
This was really helpful for those who left canada after applying.
but i still have one question, do you need to update CIC when you leave?

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
hparacha said:
This was really helpful for those who left canada after applying.
but i still have one question, do you need to update CIC when you leave?
Yes, since your address will change, you will have to notify CIC with your new address.