+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leave Canada after applying for Citizenship

mreddy

May 2, 2013
Hi,
I would like to leave Canada after applying for Citizenship to take care of parents back home. I can visit for test and oath etc. Do you see any issues with this approach? What can I do to ensure it a smooth process while I live abroad?

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Simply : Not a good idea!

The issue of taking care of old and ill parents is a really important one and since the government isn't making it easy for people like you to bring their parents to Canada and take care of them over here, than I guess your choices are limited. However, expect your application to get an RQ and so on... the rules for today are still the following :

1 - no criminal offence
2 - 1095 days of physical residency in Canada as a PR

If you fulfill these rules and have no choice but leaving after applying, just make sure to have a place to receive your mail in Canada.

Again : It is really not recommended to leave after applying... once you will become canadian, you will be free to do whatever you want.

mreddy

May 2, 2013
Thank you. Yes, I have no choice but to leave after meeting the 1095 days requirement. I am also concerned about the recent news regarding the proposed changes to the 1095 days requirement. If they increase it before I am eligible for Citizenship , then this will have a big impact on my plans.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mreddy said:
Hi,
I would like to leave Canada after applying for Citizenship to take care of parents back home. I can visit for test and oath etc. Do you see any issues with this approach? What can I do to ensure it a smooth process while I live abroad?
you can leave but not too long...maybe just a few months.
Make sure you have people here to check mails for you.

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe you should be prepared for RQ (yack!)... access to mails... and make sure in case grant of citizenship gets delayed, you comeback on time so as to not jeopardy your PR status.

of course... taking care of parents are of top priority.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You should be prepared for the fact that you may lose PR status long before CIC is done processing your application. Of course, there is no way to tell how long it will take. Maybe it will take two years and you will be fine; maybe they will give you an RQ and it will take four. The extremely long processing times now mean that CIC can almost produce the outcome they want. If you get stuck outside Canada and can't come back; CIC can hold onto your application long enough that you lose status, despite the fact that you met the physical prescence requirements years before. They are making it very hard to plan and deal with unexpected life situations that arise even AFTER you have submitted your application.